Corpse Party

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Corpse Party

Post by Stark »

StuntDouble wrote:So has anyone downloaded this one yet? I have it sitting in my cart, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Yeah, anyone have a review of this?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ah, not yet. I swear I'm gonna get it at some point.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Anybody else played it yet? I just started it last week and am almost done with the main story.

I have a lot of ambivalence towards it to be honest. On one hand, the idea of combining anime characters with grisly supernatural horror really appeals to me. On the other hand, the gameplay just isn't that good. There's a sort of annoying combination between linearity and non-linearity. So you're free to explore different areas but it feels like if you do things in the wrong order, you can end up with a bad ending. Or you suddenly run into a ghost which kills you instantly. And the save system means that when that happens, you have to go back and slog through 10 minutes of dialog you've just heard in order to choose something else. A lot of the horror elements kind of goes over the top and feels like if Fatal Frame was written by teenagers. "Team GrisGris" is appropriate because the game is grisly. And in pretty poor taste sometimes, so you might see a panty-shot while a teenage girl is going insane and choking on her swollen tongue. That doesn't do anything for me and kind of makes me wonder who it does do something for but WHATEVER CORPSE PARTY.

And even though it's originally an RPG Maker game, I'm surprised by the lack of RPG elements. There doesn't seem to be any combat, despite the presence of hit points. It's much more of a visual novel with many ways to die.

But I am pretty engrossed in the game despite its flaws. I imagine I'm going to end up going through all the extra chapters, but I don't see myself playing the sequel.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Nemoide wrote:And the save system means that when that happens, you have to go back and slog through 10 minutes of dialog you've just heard in order to choose something else.

This was exactly why I stopped playing this game a few years ago when I gave it a shot. A nice game in concept but terrible in execution.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.