Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Deus Ex- does it stand the test of time?

by isiolia Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Xeogred wrote:I don't know if CoD still does this, but I absolutely hated how MW and MW2's campaigns were designed with numerous points throughout levels that had infinite spawning enemies until you pushed forward. Made it feel really artificial to me.

Same, I played Modern Warfare, and just really didn't care for that mechanic. It just stops feeling strategic, which tends to be something I tend to like in FPSes. As a result, I just haven't really tried other CoD games.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Xeogred wrote:I don't know if CoD still does this, but I absolutely hated how MW and MW2's campaigns were designed with numerous points throughout levels that had infinite spawning enemies until you pushed forward. Made it feel really artificial to me.

I've gotten to the point where I avoid turrets in modern FPS games because as soon as you start using one magical pointless waves of soldier fodder appear.

In the original Medal of Honor on PS1, you had to trigger those waves of enemies if you wanted a 3-star rank on each level. The rank was tied to killing every single enemy in the level, and sometimes they weren't all there at the start. Made for odd times where you could clear literally the entire level from front to back, then go to some turret in the middle and trigger 3 guys out of nowhere. Like... where were you hiding all this time?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:54 am

Hobie-wan wrote:The problem is that it suddenly goes from FPS to first person platformer. When you can't see your feet that's a problem. Mirror's Edge is the only game that's really done first person platforming decently, and you can see your limbs there.

I like HL1, but the Xen jumping stuff is the least enjoyable part of the game.

I found that I had to get used to the platforming in HL, but when I did I was able to clear those segments. Perhaps Mirror's Edge does it better? I haven't played it yet, though I did get it in the recent EA Origin Bundle.

MrPopo wrote:Plus a ton of enemies and a dearth of health/ammo.

The last time I played HL, I set it to hard and didn't find it to be that much of a problem until Nihilanth. I'm not saying I breezed through it, but I don't recall getting very frustrated.

isiolia wrote:There's that, and I think there's also a shift backwards in terms of game design. Part of what Half-Life did at the time was present things more logically. You weren't going to find a gun on a pedestal that rose up out of a giant pool of acid, or run over health vials sitting in the middle of the hall. If more soldiers appear, they're getting choppered in or something. Then they were fighting tactically, with AI that stood out.

Xen, or the alien stuff in general as you were getting there, had more of the older-style enemies spawning in behind you, mobs of enemies rushing you, that kind of thing.

I think I'm starting to understand now. I suppose that when the aliens came into play, the game started to feel like Doom or Quake. Though I recognize the "devolution" now, I still think it's fine as I had fun in those sections.

Plenty of games seem to do that anyway, trying to throw off the player by shifting combat style, but it nearly always sucks. Mutants in Far Cry or aliens in Crysis, later-game enemy types in all the Uncharted games so far (less so in 2 and 3), etc.

I thought it sucked in Far Cry, but not so much in Crysis. In Far Cry, the combat against the creatures didn't feel competently done whereas in Crysis it did. The thing that disappointed me about fighting the aliens in Crysis was that your other abilities were rendered superfluous. Just stay in armor mode. I thought the original Uncharted was kinda sucky with a bit of potential, so I don't think I'm fit to comment on the efficacy of a style change. :lol:

Exhuminator wrote:The original Half-Life still has the best combat AI I've ever seen in a video game. Not just the marines, those black ops ninjas were insane.

Man, those ninjas will just end your ass if given the chance.

Xeogred wrote:...I still think HL2 and FEAR are at the top of the list when it comes to amazing enemy AI.

I remember being amazed when one of the clones shouted that he saw my flashlight. Good times.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:20 am

optmusprimenumber wrote:How's the Deus Ex endeavor goin?

I will also vouch for the coolness of Invisible War. It's light on RPG when compared to it's predecessor but not so light when compared to the ton of generic FPS's out there. I've beaten it over 6 times, I think, somewhere around there. It's full of choice-based gaming; there's lots of fun to have. It's one of the few games from oXBox days that I revisit once a year or so. That and Thief Deadly Shadows.. new Thief soon! Anyhow...

This guy makes a good point in defense of IW and it's an entertaining watch...

Deus Ex Series Retrospective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1nqdKiLnTU

I'm currently in the middle of my first New Game+ for Human Revolution.. Think I'll be trying the original again afterwards.

Edit: forgot to mention, I played the PS2 version quite extensively..didn't beat it, but had fun and wished I finished it. The aiming system didn't translate to joystick too well though.

I just started learning about all the mod's for it.. and literally just read this thread for the first time.

I have a question: is there any difference between Deus Ex HDTP and New Vision?

I'm hoping to play it as decked out as possible and my research is just beginning..

Worth noting Deus Ex is one of the few PS2 games with full mouse & keyboard support. Just plug USB devices in & go.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:12 pm

It's also in CoD 2 (which I'm playing right now), but it's in very tiny pockets.

Exhuminator wrote:I've gotten to the point where I avoid turrets in modern FPS games because as soon as you start using one magical pointless waves of soldier fodder appear.

:lol:

Yup, very prevalent in MoH: Frontline. Avoid at all costs.

Back on topic, I'll check out that DE retrospective video. Despite a few opinions to the contrary here from very influential forum members, I still find the first DE to be an FPS masterpiece. I bought IW during a GOG sale and I am more than willing to give it a try even though I know it will be nowhere near the first game's greatness.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:48 pm

IW is still quite good compared to what was out at the time. It was also one of the earlier titles with physics, which was new and fun back then but probably nothing you'd notice now. The only issue in my eyes, like Thief 3, is that the engine is pretty terrible. It was designed with the Xbox in mind first... so, the levels are cut up to hell with loading screens everywhere. One map in Deus Ex would be like 6 in IW.

Good for a first run, but it's one I don't care to go back to that much.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:28 pm

Xeogred wrote:IW is still quite good compared to what was out at the time. It was also one of the earlier titles with physics, which was new and fun back then but probably nothing you'd notice now. The only issue in my eyes, like Thief 3, is that the engine is pretty terrible. It was designed with the Xbox in mind first... so, the levels are cut up to hell with loading screens everywhere. One map in Deus Ex would be like 6 in IW.

How's the story in that? I just played the beginning and it seemed dull :/. Do you see any characters from Deus Ex?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Xeogred wrote:IW is still quite good compared to what was out at the time. It was also one of the earlier titles with physics, which was new and fun back then but probably nothing you'd notice now. The only issue in my eyes, like Thief 3, is that the engine is pretty terrible. It was designed with the Xbox in mind first... so, the levels are cut up to hell with loading screens everywhere. One map in Deus Ex would be like 6 in IW.

How's the story in that? I just played the beginning and it seemed dull :/. Do you see any characters from Deus Ex?

Oh yeah. Though it's sort of massive spoilers to the plot.

The player character is a clone of JC Denton. The actual JC Denton appears near the end of the game as one of the selectable allies/antagonists, granting you different endings.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:37 pm

Ack wrote:
The player character is a clone of JC Denton. The actual JC Denton appears near the end of the game as one of the selectable allies/antagonists, granting you different endings.

sounds deus ex-y. too bad I'll probably never get down to plaything this game :/. I will replay the other 2 Deus Ex games though. And can't wait for the 4th one :)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am

Xeogred wrote:
optmusprimenumber wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I still need to play this. Someday.

Me too..

Considering your avatar if you're a fan of the old Thief games, the original Deus Ex is right up there with them along with System Shock 2. The best of the best right there.

I recently loaded my pc up with the first 2 Deus Ex games, System Shock 2, and the original 3 Thief games, along with some others. I'm pretty psyched about it. I have Deus Ex modded to look pretty, might throw in Biomond, haven't decided yet. And I've already mentioned to deaf ears here that I'm a long time fan of Invisible War. Oddly enough after getting all these awesome games on my pc that's the first one I played. And it's the only one on the list that I have played (like 9 times over the years). Thief Deadly Shadows I like a lot and intend on catching up (The reboot was good enough but not as memorable). I never played the old ones. My cousin-homie did so I don't know how I missed them. System Shock 2 is also intriguing. So I have a pretty sweet to-play list. It's not helping that I'm going emulator apeshit too. I'm drowning. Finally got to play Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver (on "dreamcast"), that game is cool.
Return to Sony and Microsoft