Cant find Dreamcast video cables, possible to make your own?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

Cant find Dreamcast video cables, possible to make your own?

Post by Wanderer - Vega »

I can't find my Dreamcast video cable. Is there any way to make your own(and NOT the VGA hack(http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/dreamcast/dreamcast_en.php)? I need one soon because I'm bored out of my mind and itching to dust off the Dreamcast. If not, do any stores sell a Dreamcast cable or like a three-in-one Dreamcast/PS2/X-Box cable or something?

My brother made us a custom Sega Saturn video cable when he found the schematics online, so I'm wondering if the same concept could work with Dreamcast..I'm afraid it won't, though.

Also, how safe is it to use a Playstation power cable on the Dreamcast? Completely safe, right?
Clockwork
24-bit

Post by Clockwork »

there are multi-in-1 cables with dreamcast, playstation and nintendo plugs to find everywhere (just look on ebay or liksang...)

you could also do it the way a friend of mine did it. he just set a normal female sub-d 9-pin somewhere out of the console case and soldered the video and audio signals to it (he did it to four or five consoles i think). then he has one video/audio cable soldered to a male sub-d 9-pin and tadaa!!! you have one cable for all your consoles!

the power cables are the same. the ps and the dc both have internal psu`s, so can change them without any problem, cause they`re both getting mains voltage from outside :-)
know your roots !!!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

just to confirm, the power cables are interchangable. Same goes with the Saturn
Mega-Dan
24-bit

7 in 1 cable for rgb, or other multi

Post by Mega-Dan »

I am not sure if it is svideo or rgb but there is a cable that supports both saturn and dreamcast on one cable as well as gamecube/n64/ps2/psx/xbox and there is a cable that supports dreamcast/ps2/gamecube/xbox. I didnt buy it but I am kicking myself. The only issue is that you cant have them all hooked in at the same time I believe, certain systems conflict. I have a component cable for both xbox and ps2 and I have to unplug the xbox to get the ps2 to work but not vice versa oddly enough.
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Re: 7 in 1 cable for rgb, or other multi

Post by CurulleanCat »

alonzobots wrote:I The only issue is that you cant have them all hooked in at the same time I believe, certain systems conflict. I have a component cable for both xbox and ps2 and I have to unplug the xbox to get the ps2 to work but not vice versa oddly enough.

The main problem I found with having the consoles hooked up like that is that no sound is heard from the systems when you turn one on.
Clockwork
24-bit

Post by Clockwork »

i got the prob with the ps2 at a friends, the simple reason for no or nearly no sound are, that the ps2 has really big resistors before its multiport on the audio channels. so if the ps2 is still hanging the same line with another device, the resistors suck up the audio-signals ':-(
thanks sony for this awesome layout...

there are more problems to come, if you have all possible consoles at a multi-cable. sometimes another console starts up its fan or another one turns on the power led, if you start another. too crazy. multi-cables are good, but remember to plug in only one console at a time...
know your roots !!!