Megadrive clone in a GameGear portable - closed; remaking

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Megadrive clone in a GameGear portable system build

Post by samsonlonghair »

Looking great, Bac. I'm interested to see how this project progresses.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Thanks!

The EverdriveMD doesn't want to work with the clone Megadrive - apparently this isn't uncommon.

Going to therefore have to incorporate space for cart holder inside case to take original full sized cartridges instead, not sure how much will need to increase thickness of the case or the area for the casing, will have to work it out. I had done the painting and was waiting for it to dry, so will now need to make changes to the case and paint again, so the finish will not be as good as originally, will do what can do though.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

It's a shame you don't have Genesis Model 3 in the United Kingdom. That would work better than any blaze megadrive clone by at@games.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Got a Genesis 3 and it works for most of the games I tested, and importantly the EverdriveMD works with it.

The screen image is larger too than the other clone (maybe as the Genesis is NTSC and not PAL format) which is a nice bonus on a car reverse screen - image is clear too.

Downside is the Genesis 3 has a motherboard 12cm x 12cm which is far too large for a GameGear case, and also fairly thick.

I am therefore ditching using the GameGear case, even though it was 80% completed; in favour of a GBA Organiser case like used for the N64 system for my commissioner.

I will therefore close this thread and start up a new one for the new case design, in the next days when have done casework on it.

I think this design will make for a nicer portable too, BTW. Also, continuity with the systems too so will look "part of the family" - he has the N64 made, the Megadrive and SNES portables will also both use similar casing after all.
I am the Bacman
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

You should still use that GG case for something, it was lookin good.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm so glad you're upgrading to a Genesis 3, Bac. That's definitely a good move on your part.

As for the Gamegear case... I suppose one could stick an old android phone in there if one was inclined to do so. That said, I get the impression that Bac is an old-school modder.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Yup, i'm an old school modder.

I have a semi modern phone but only use it on rare occasions as a phone (shocker) and occasionally for texts. That's it.

Case halves only needed a little sanding on the sides, painting the whole area to streamline it and varnish. Never mind, can't see anything i'd use it for now.

The GBA Organiser is an excellent case, strong, durable and an ideal size for such a project so i'll be using that. Progress will be quick too as there are less holes to cut into it and also had experience with the other casing for the N64 system.

The buyer is likely to want a SNES with Everdrive in it, so that will be 3 in the series; which will look nice. After that, may have a PS2 commission in similar case from previous guy I did a commission for; after that i'm available possibly for other projects - if not, I have a few of my own projects to do:

* HDMI and SCART Atari 7800 console
* Remake an N64 controller using USB PC controller (N64 USB controllers suck so will make better one).
* Continue Project Unity 2 system (although decided to make it less systems than was intending to before)
* HDMI and SCART SNES console
* HDMI N64 console
* Maybe use a GBA Organiser for an 8" screen (if fits) for PS2 handheld or N64 (instead of HDMI project).
I am the Bacman