Booted NES game?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Booted NES game?

Post by KalessinDB »

So I'm like... 99.99% sure my buddy got burned on an ebay purchase, but I figured I'd throw it to the pros because I've never actually seen a repro/booted NES game. Now technically, I have 3 in my collection (homebrew and translations), but I don't feel like opening them up :lol:

The wires alone scream bootleg to me, but I know it's not unheard of for arcade PCBs to have legit factory repairs with wires on them, so I told him there's a very slim chance that those alone don't mean it's bootlegged. Of course, the fact that there's a window on the ROM... I'm pretty much positive that THAT cements it.

Anyone with firsthand experience care to comment, just so I can lay his mind to rest he's doing the right thing as he files the eBayPal claim?
Attachments
download_20140808_171046.jpeg
download_20140808_171046.jpeg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
download_20140808_171043.jpeg
download_20140808_171043.jpeg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Booted NES game?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Definitely not factory due to the wires and window chips. The added "trace" wires on the bootleg should have at least been done underneath as to not be laying on a warm chip.

What is the game?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

From a guy that use to make repros that is 100%, unequivocally, without a shadow of a doubt, a "repro" cart. You will not see EPROMs with rewired pins like that on an legit cart. Officially released carts were mostly all made with mask ROMs. On occasion, you might find a "legit" cart with EPROMs, but it's usually only prototypes and whatnot. And even then, the boards were made for EPROMs so no rewiring is necessary. Arcade boards are different.

Here's what that cart PCB should look like:

What game was it that your friend bought?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

That's one big downright fake using re-writable chips and wires to bypass.

The board on that is a TLROM-02 board, according to the bootgod, there are 30 NES games that used it, 20 in the US region. I have no idea what chop shopped game you ended up having killed, but it will be one of the following.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/search.p ... kwtype=pcb

Searching under MMC3B I narrowed it a bit further, whatever it was, it's a dirt common throw away type game that's for sure. Astayanax, Batman, Code Name Viper, Dragon Spirit, Golgo13, Heavy Barrel, Infiltrator, Mad Max, Michael Andretti, Ninja Gaiden2(not happening), Robocop, Top Gun 2, or Twin Cobra.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Thanks guys. I was nearly positive, but expert advice always helps. Was hoping you'd chime in, Ziggy, since you were the only person on here that I knew used to make repros.

He THOUGHT it was TMNT Tournament Fighters. As usual, if the price seems too good to be true, it usually is. With any luck, eBay/PayPal should refund him, I know they hate bootlegs.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

You shouldn't see EPROMs in anything short of a prototype. Can't get any more obviously pirated than that.

Just out of curiosity what tipped you off that it was a bootleg before opening it up?
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Gunstar Green wrote:You shouldn't see EPROMs in anything short of a prototype. Can't get any more obviously pirated than that.

Just out of curiosity what tipped you off that it was a bootleg before opening it up?

I open any game over $20, takes 10 seconds to do so and while I'm in there I put in a new battery if it has one. It is just good practice to do so.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, so the label was that good, eh? Nine out of ten times some one suspects they have a bootleg cart because the label looks a little off (most people don't bother to make professional labels).
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

TMNT Tournament Fighters on the NES is such a shitty game it boggles my mind with the price people are paying for it. I guess collectors will be collectors :roll:
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Yeah, I had a Tournament Fighter and it is so much worse than the 16bit version. I dumped it right away.