Discuss all hardware and software modifications
kevinmahoney1995

Sega Saturn Racketboy Mod chip problem

by kevinmahoney1995 Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm

I am having problems with my Sega Saturn Model 2 32-Pin. When I finally got my chip and console together for modding, and it was finished, I was so happy. At long last, I could play Sega Saturn. Well, not quite. I booted the thing up, put in a CD-R backup, and the system just sat there. It would not begin spinning the disc. Upon bootup, I would be sent to the audio CD reading screen, where it would say something like "Checking disc format" for a while, and then it would just stop. It wouldn't say "couldn't read disc", it just stopped and the text disappeared. It would just sit on the screen with the audio controls. It never started spinning.

It does the exact same thing with a legit audio CD ("legit" as in it was an album purchased from a retail store and was not burned onto a CD-R by me at home). I can't find any legit Sega Saturn games to test it with at the moment; I think my friend sold what he had cause he was losing hope in this project, and if he didn't, they're misplaced. (This Saturn isn't mine; I bought the console(s) for my friend and have been trying to get this done for him. At this point I've invested so much money into this that I really just want to start playing Saturn with him. I don't see why this would be happening.)

The fact that the system won't even read official music CDs suggests to me that putting a legit Sega Saturn game probably won't work either. Would I be right in that assumption?

I tried burning the discs at different speeds and with two different burning programs. I also tried different games. Nothing got the thing to start spinning. I get no start up animation (i.e., I just get the saturn logo on the silver backdrop, no flying polygons in space), I get a "Checking disc format" message that eventually goes away, and I have two yellow spheres on screen. I can't get the disc tray to spin at all. I tried turning the orange screw on the back and it didn't change anything.

Any suggestions as to why the would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. I emailed this problem to Racketboy personally and got no reply.

Sincerely,

Kevin Mahoney
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Sega Saturn Racketboy Mod chip problem

by fastbilly1 Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Can you upload pictures of the wiring?
kevinmahoney1995

by kevinmahoney1995 Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:47 pm

s8n
128-bit

by s8n Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:17 pm

hi Kevin , in one photo it looks like you lifted a pin that is on the 32 Pin IC..............

i dont think you are supposed to do that , i didnt and my Saturn works fine

also try and remove the Modchip and plug in the drive cable to the motherboard , check if music CD's work.

chat soon
kevinmahoney1995

by kevinmahoney1995 Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 pm

We figured that. The system has been restored to its pre-modded state and works fine. Gonna try it again with a new mod chip when I get one in case this one is busted.
s8n
128-bit

by s8n Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm

as you said the SS works fine before modding so it looks like the install is incorrect or a defective modchip.

my first Racketboy one was defective and i then bought another one and that worked fine

but after that i read a lot of people were having trouble with RB ones so i switched over to Rob Webb's

ive bought 7-8 and my SS's all work really well

do a google for Rob Webbs store if your interested
kevinmahoney1995

by kevinmahoney1995 Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for the tip; I'm getting another from Racketboy though just to be on the safe side -- I'm expecting things will be fine after i get that one :)
Return to Hacks and Mods