Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Completed portable - GBA with 8" screen

by Anapan Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 am

I finally got my slim PS2 with the Joytech screen back (lent out for an extended time due to RPG).
Awesome build - I'm drooling!
I don't know what to do - should I send you the hardware and have you make me one?
Should I sell you the screen at a good price?
The outside bezel pastic's warped from long hours of use and I will never play a PS2 game on it again. I got the side-loading SCART adapter but it's picky about displaying certain consoles through it.

In any case - I have a good working Joytech screen that needs to be used. Reply or PM.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Did you use the bottom half of a DS for this?

bacteria wrote:you do know this is an 8" screen...?

Yes Bac, I know how to read. I know it's an eight inch screen. I'm simply asking if you used any hardware from the bottom of half of a DS to build this. At this point in the video the "warning health and safety" screen looks an awful lot like the DS startup screen. It's a legit question.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:16 pm

GBA games made in 2005 and later had that warning screen
bacteria
Next-Gen

by bacteria Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Yeah, that screen was on some GBA games; I see where you're coming from though. The DS doesn't have the TV output, and the AD Adaptor I used (or Retrobit as the other version) requires a SNES original or clone console in order to work, so the unit uses a SNES clone with AD Adaptor in order to give the composite output (which is excellent from that BTW).

I have 3 of the JoyTech 8" screens for PS2 slim units, the screen used on this project is the same size but was a different screen; in fact the Innovatec screen I used in this project originally cost about £200 when first came out apparently, however when I got it years later, cost me about £25. I will be using one of those JoyTech screens though when I make an N64 for myself in the next months.
I am the Bacman
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh, I did not know that some GBA games have the "warning health and safety" screen. You learn something new everyday.
Return to Hacks and Mods