XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by racketboy »

Smile_Kaiser wrote:
bmoc wrote:
Smile_Kaiser wrote:Ended up buying the wrong cables more than once, waiting on the gscart to go on sale, etc etc.

Yikes. If you mixed up JP21 and scart cables, that could explain what is happening. JP21 and scart, despite having the same connector, carry voltage on different pins. If you did mix them up you could have damaged some of your equipment. But let's hope it is as simple as replacing the power strip. I'm rooting for you.

I could have permanently damaged the Framemeister?

Um... so... what's Micomsoft's return policy like? Ahaha.... jeez...

Hey man :)
You said you had it for like two years? Maybe throw it up on eBay with some disclaimers? Then maybe look into the OSSC as an alternative?
I'm no expect on this topic, but just throwing that thought out there to buy time for others' responses ;)
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

A little late, but because of the wrong warnings of damaging previous (xrgb 2-3) Micomsoft scalers, you can no longer damage any of the current scalers with the wrong (J-Region or other nonstandard) pinout. +5V on the wrong pin will only result in a warning. It saved me from frying my XRGB-3 and FrameMeistar a few times , because I really try out every possible wrong setup before I try to tweak all my hardware to accommodate the new addition. I have to say that the framemeister has easily won the compatibility war. You cannot kill it, and it takes more shit than the others.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

To be fair I did not specifically say that it would damage the Framemeister. I was just providing the conventional wisdom that it is bad to mix JP21 and SCART. But Anapan is right, the Framemeister does not connect the voltage pins for either standard in the mini-DIN adapter (assuming any 3rd party adapters are wired correctly).

However, I don't know if using the wrong cables would have damaged the gscartsw lite. I know that there was a limited run of JP21 edition gscartsw's so the gscartsw lite is at best incompatible with JP21. However, gscartsw lites have been known to be damaged by specific superguns. I think it had something to do with JAMMA audio. Anyway, it is within the realm of possibility that JP21 could damage the gscartsw lite. But I could not find any direct evidence to support that. So again I will just cite the conventional wisdom that it is bad to mix JP21 and SCART devices/cables.
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

Okay, so, like I said, I'm a gigantic idiot.

Turns out I was going from the console to the gscart to the framemeister and then back through the gscart and then to the TV. No, I'm not sure why I was doing this.

But! The good news is, cutting out the gscartsw-lite entirely makes all the noise go away completely. The picture looks BEAUTIFUL. I'm so happy.

However, that raises the question of what's wrong with my gscartsw-lite. Faulty hardware? It's not the end of the world, but I paid a lot of money for it, and having a switcher is a massive convenience.

Also yo Nick! Great to finally be here on your forum. And yeah, caving and going over to the OSSC side was suuuuper tempting, but I think I've gotten my Framemeister setup nearly there.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Did you still get the interference when connecting everything in proper order? Console -> gscartsw lite -> Framemeister -> TV

If so, it does sound like it might be faulty hardware. I would suggest posting in the support forum for the gscartsw switches. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851
Smile_Kaiser

Post by Smile_Kaiser »

bmoc wrote:Did you still get the interference when connecting everything in proper order? Console -> gscartsw lite -> Framemeister -> TV

If so, it does sound like it might be faulty hardware. I would suggest posting in the support forum for the gscartsw switches. https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50851

The interference was minor, but definitely still there. Moreso with the SNES than any other console I tried, but yeah.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Smile_Kaiser wrote:Also yo Nick! Great to finally be here on your forum. And yeah, caving and going over to the OSSC side was suuuuper tempting, but I think I've gotten my Framemeister setup nearly there.

So glad to hear it!!! And it's very cool to see you here :)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm having trouble finding much info on running 480p, 720p and 1080i games over component through the XRGB.

I'm trying to future proof my set up, and I'm seeing component disappearing on many new TVs. Looking for other options for my PS2 & oXBOX. I know it will support 480i. It will also take the resolutions (at 4:3 or 16:9) above over D term to component, correct? Then output over HDMI respectively.

What are the HDMI options, 720p & 1080p (no 480p)?

For funzies... will it accept 240p over component? PS1 on PS2 & retro-vision cables.

Switching gears... I always hear they're going out of business. Heard more recent rumors. Any substance to the claims?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay, answered my first question. Here's a great video by Kris at AA on component settings for oXbox at all resolutions.

https://youtu.be/AP4eoixLD4c

Any help on the others?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Jagosaurus wrote:Switching gears... I always hear they're going out of business. Heard more recent rumors. Any substance to the claims?

I haven't heard anything about them going out of business. There was a big panic a few years ago because one of the chips used in making the Framemeister was discontinued. Micomsoft bought up a large supply of them and continues to make Framemeisters. Once they are out, the Framemeister will be done. I'd bet they have a successor ready to go by now but they aren't going to release it until they have exhausted their supply of Framemeister parts.