XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
kidfresh
24-bit

XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by kidfresh »

So, I'm trying to convince myself to give up CRT's and move on the XRGB-mini. A couple things have been hard to find any thing on, at least from a quick google search, and if anyone can help me out, it'd be super groovy and appreciated. I know there's XRGB-mini users on this site.

**EDIT: Anyone have experience with running RGB Dreamcast through this? Is it as good as VGA once you finally have it sent through the Mini?

Does anyone know where I could find a component to d5 connector? I have seen these cords around, I just can't seem to find one.

Is European SCART what is used in the US, or is there a version of SCART for NTSC?

Sorry for being all noob-ish about this! I'm new to this fancy video processing stuff.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by pierrot »

I haven't bothered with RGB on the dreamcast yet. (My tv seems to process the VGA picture well enough, and for anything that I can't at least force into VGA, s-video looks pretty good through the mini.) If you wanted to use your Dreamcast exclusively through the mini, you'll probably want to look into the Hanzo.

Component (Female) to D-Terminal - http://www.solarisjapan.com/d-terminal-to-component-adapter-cable-female/

If you bought your scart cables from Ebay, or something, and they weren't specifically the official RGB cables, you more than likely have Euro scart. The mini din to 21-pin converter is easily re-wired, though. Here is pretty much all you would need for that: JP RGB | EU RGB SCART
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

For your purposes, there are two kinds of SCART. Euro and Japanese. The connector is exactly the same but the pins are wired differently. Plugging a Euro SCART cable into a Japanese SCART device (and vice versa) can potentially damage your device.

Euro SCART can carry NTSC signals just fine so don't let that confuse you. However some PAL consoles' video output pins are wired differently so you have to get a specially made NTSC wired SCART cable. An example of that would be an SNES SCART cable. Some consoles can use the same SCART cable no matter the region. Sega Genesis can use the same SCART cable no matter if it is PAL or NTSC.

As for your Dreamcast question, I don't have a mini but I do use my Dreamcast with SCART. I did so because I wanted to be able to use it on my CRT in case I get some light gun games (which are on my wishlist). I briefly had a VGA box and compared the two. I thought the quality was pretty similar. My comparison was on a 22" LCD monitor and a 29" Sony PVM. I'd imagine that you'd get pretty close to VGA quality if you ran RGB SCART through a mini.

If you want a premade Euro SCART adapter for your mini, there are lots of places that make them but I recommend http://stores.ebay.com/Retro-Accessories I have purchased many cables from her and they have all worked perfectly. Alternatively, she also makes Japanese SCART cables if you wanted to go that route instead.
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

Okay, cool! One more thing; I was doing some research, and came across this video. http://youtu.be/pqW03NvDXmY?t=9m56s

The cable he pulls out at that time (9:56) - can anyone explain further what that's about? I know it's a sync stripper.. but why would you want sync stripper vs a standard SCART connector? And where can you find a that particular cable (with the extra two power supply cords)? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

kidfresh wrote:Okay, cool! One more thing; I was doing some research, and came across this video. http://youtu.be/pqW03NvDXmY?t=9m56s

The cable he pulls out at that time (9:56) - can anyone explain further what that's about? I know it's a sync stripper.. but why would you want sync stripper vs a standard SCART connector?

Without watching the time stamped sequence: I've seen that video, and I'd imagine you're talking about the mini din to 21-pin adapter with a sync stripper powered with a DC pass-through. I haven't found a sync stripper to be necessary for anything that I have. (Saturn, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, SMS, N64.) Generally you would want to test your consoles without a sync stripper, to see if it actually has any sync issues, before using a sync stripper, or a SCART cable wired for raw sync. In most cases, with the new mini firmwares, you probably won't have sync issues. If you did, there are a couple of options: an adapter like the one in that video; a sync strike; a raw sync SCART cable for the console you're having sync issues with.

If you have any experience with soldering, I would honestly recommend just rewiring the included SCART adapter, see how your consoles respond in terms of sync with the mini, then choose a sync stripper option if you were having issues of stuttering in the picture, hanging pixels, pixel jump, blank screen, etc.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Here is the cable with a sync stripper built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micomsoft-XRGB- ... 1194541007

Here is more information on sync and sync strippers: http://retrorgb.com/sync.html

I didn't watch the whole video so I don't know what the extra two cables are for. I assume it is something that he made custom. I have never seen a cable like that for sale anywhere either.
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

Alright, sweet! So, I won't worry about sync stripper just yet. I have minimal soldering experience.. so I'll do some research in that area to see if it's something I think I can take on. If not, I'll just get the Euro SCART! You guys have been so much help. You're ace fellows, you two.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

bmoc wrote:I didn't watch the whole video so I don't know what the extra two cables are for. I assume it is something that he made custom. I have never seen a cable like that for sale anywhere either.

The extra cables just take power from the mini's power adapter and passes it through to supply more consistent power to the sync stripper. Some scart cables might not be wired properly to power the stripper in a scart to din converter cable with built-in sync stripper otherwise.

They are available for purchase, but I'm pretty sure they're just through European avenues. Can't find a link for where I'd seen them before, but it was a UK website, for what it's worth.
kidfresh
24-bit

Post by kidfresh »

From what I hear, sync strippers usually cause more harm than good when you're using them and no sync problem was present.

Is this the same with sync boosters? Are they the same thing?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

kidfresh wrote:From what I hear, sync strippers usually cause more harm than good when you're using them and no sync problem was present.

Is this the same with sync boosters? Are they the same thing?

Yes. Sync strippers/cleaners/boosters are typically the LM1881 chip. For what it is worth, I use a Sync Strike with my PVMs and it works wonders. My PVM-2950Q doesn't work at all without a clean sync signal. As for how well they play with the mini, I cannot attest to that.