XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: XRGB-mini Framemeister Questions

Post by KalessinDB »

arcadifvid wrote:hi guys quick question!

psp3000 to framemeister, what cable do i need ? (for best quality without needing to mod anything? )

Haven't tried it myself, but I imagine you would want the PSP's component out cable and the component to d-terminal adapter for the framemeister.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

didnt even realize there's already an existing d-terminal cable for psp :cry:

thanks KalessinDB!
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

...nor did I. Happy to be of service! :lol:
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

kidfresh wrote:So, I'm trying to convince myself to give up CRT's and move on the XRGB-mini.
I understand that this is an old question, though if you already have a CRT, why replace it with something worse? An upscaler on an HD-TV will never look as good as the console displaying natively on a CRT.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

LentFilms wrote:
kidfresh wrote:So, I'm trying to convince myself to give up CRT's and move on the XRGB-mini.
I understand that this is an old question, though if you already have a CRT, why replace it with something worse? An upscaler on an HD-TV will never look as good as the console displaying natively on a CRT.

Convenience, mostly. CRTs are heavy and bulky. I just moved my 36" wega into storage for selling my house and I am REALLY not looking forward to moving it again when I move into my new house, but I myself haven't gotten to the point of cutting the cord... Yet. I'm very close, and if I could find a medium sized PVM for the times I absolutely must play some duck hunt (since light guns are the one thing you can't replicate with an upscaler) I think I probably would ditch my monster crt altogether.

And as to "any upscaler won't look as good"... Have you actually seen a framemeister in action? Because it's pretty damn close to my eyes, and I haven't even gotten to the point of configuring individual profiles for each system yet. But to each their own.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

I understand the convenience aspect; however, the 300-400 dollar price tag is not convenient for most people’s bank accounts, so the above reason gets counter balanced.
KalessinDB wrote:And as to "any upscaler won't look as good"... Have you actually seen a framemeister in action? Because it's pretty damn close to my eyes, and I haven't even gotten to the point of configuring individual profiles for each system yet. But to each their own.
Admittedly, I have not seen the Framemeister in person, though I have seen high res videos and pictures of it in action. It looks slightly worse (if not the same) as an emulator upscaling through HDMI (even when comparing scanline effects).

The way I see it, if you want authenticity, use a CRT.
If you want raw (sterilized) picture quality, use an emulator.
If you want to make original hardware emulate emulators, use a Framemeister.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

so the framemeister and N64 ...

anyone have tips how to handle the black screens that happen when the game switches resolutions ? i think i read somewhere that a FW update lessens the black screen duration, but i already did and it still makes playing unpleasant. i know this happens to the ps1 (chrono cross menu screen) or saturn as well but its not really as disruptive as with n64 from experience, (example KIgold, each match starts with the black screen first)...

.. i cant be the only one having a hard time playing N64 because of this.. how do you guys handle it? workarounds? fixes ? settings? hopefully no mods needed?
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

HDMI mod for N64? ;)

I kid, obviously... I haven't played with the framemeister much honestly because shortly after purchasing it I packed up everything to move. Only... Like another month and a half or two months before it's all unpacked! (Moving in just under a month)
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

arcadifvid wrote:i know this happens to the ps1 (chrono cross menu screen) or saturn as well but its not really as disruptive as with n64 from experience

It's annoying on the N64, sure, but I've yet to have it break a game. Symphony of the Night on the Saturn is basically unplayable. The Saturn version sucked enough that in order to get to the map you had to press start to go into the menu then press L. The thing is, the game changes resolutions in all those steps. It makes going into the menu, something you are constantly doing in that game, maddening. And forget about checking the map, which is also something you want to constantly do in that game. The resolutions changes when you press start, then again when you press L for the map, then again when you exit the map back into the menu, then again when you exit the menu to go back to the game! It's a nightmare!

arcadifvid wrote:i cant be the only one having a hard time playing N64 because of this..

Nope, plenty of people are very annoyed by this (myself included) if that makes you feel better. :D

I don't understand why the $400 XRGB mini takes something like 10 seconds to sync, when my cheap sub $50 upscaler can sync in a second. Or why it takes 10 seconds when basically everything else in the world syncs faster than that. Imagine getting 10 seconds of black screen every time you changed the channel?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I need some help from the RGB folks... finally got around to testing out a new RGB SCART cable with my model 2 genesis and framemeister. Here are the cables I am using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-seller-Genes ... xydgZTKJLC

The issue I am having is I am getting only sound and no picture at all. I've confirmed the console is outputting video over composite through the framemeister, other RGB cables are working just fine, and composite video is working on the console. I am wondering if its the boosted version of the cable that is giving me the issue or maybe something else.

Any ideas?

*edit* well i post this and then continue to keep trying things when i notice that there is a label on the cable that says clearly "Do not use on XRGB Scalers without a Convertor". I wonder if that's my issue and if I simply need to change to an composite-sync cable instead of the boosted sync model that I have... Does anyone know for sure?
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |