Jumping into DS "hacking"

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: Jumping into DS "hacking"

Post by 8bit »

The suggestion to mod a PSP instead of the DS is stupid. DS games are meant to be played on... surprise... a DS! How are you going to properly simulate the touch screen experience on a PSP?

Anyway, I agree with the suggestion before. Go buy a $20 R4 card online, get yourself a nice little 8 or 16GB micro SD card to go along with it (make sure you have the full size SD card adapter with it). I've had several variations of the R4 card and they have all worked really well. I personally like the idea of having a card that will work on both DS's and 3DS's so check this site out...

http://www.r43ds.org/
http://amzn.com/B00DYQYLQQ

Note: You have to update the each R4 card with its unique kernel update. Read this page http://www.r43ds.org/pages/R4-3DS-Firmware.html
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

8bit wrote:The suggestion to mod a PSP instead of the DS is stupid. DS games are meant to be played on... surprise... a DS! How are you going to properly simulate the touch screen experience on a PSP?

*sigh*

GirlGamer55 wrote:I'd like to at some point be able to grab a card, pop it in and play all the NES games out there or SNES games and so on.

The OP didn't mention anywhere that she wants to mod the DS to play DS games. She specifically mentions NES (either system could do it) and SNES (The PSP does this better).

How is suggesting the PSP as an alternative "stupid"?
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Yeah, she's not asking to download and play DS games on a flashcart.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

There's a few reasons why I don't want to mod my psp. It's clunky, it has dead pixels on the screen, it's slow, the battery is fucked so it's no longer a portable device. I could go on and on, I just dislike the psp, I got it when it first came out and had high hopes for it but it kinda...sucked.

While it might be easier to hack/mod the psp, I want to try to hack the DS. Though so far all these links you guys have been giving me are...kinda confusing me. I know I need a card like the R4. And I need something to connect to my pc, so do I put the R4 into said connector, go to a site that has emu's, load the R4 up and then pop it into my normal DS slot?

Also bit off topic but does anyone know how to get rid of scuff marks on the top outside part of the 3DS? I bought a used one and other then the scuffs it's great.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Not quite. You don't connect the R4 itself to your PC, you use a MicroSD card (like the ones used in some phones). You load your ROMs, emulators, and firmware on to the MicroSD card and insert that into the R4. While it might not be as modding a PSP, it's still simple.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

GSZX1337 wrote:Not quite. You don't connect the R4 itself to your PC, you use a MicroSD card (like the ones used in some phones). You load your ROMs, emulators, and firmware on to the MicroSD card and insert that into the R4. While it might not be as modding a PSP, it's still simple.

Wait I thought the R4 was like a MicroSD...don't they look the same?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

The R4 itself is a DS cartridge which has a slot for a microSD card.

casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
GirlGamer55
64-bit

Post by GirlGamer55 »

GSZX1337 wrote:The R4 itself is a DS cartridge which has a slot for a microSD card.

Oooh...ok. Now i'm starting to get it.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Buy a newer PSP. Seriously, I have tried DS emulation on my friend's DS and it's not very good compared to PSP's.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

GirlGamer55, keep in mind that it's easy to put any annoying members on ignore to block their posts.

No idea how to mod a DS, but I'll keep my eye on your thread so I know how to myself in the future.