Saturn mod chip problems!

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

Saturn mod chip problems!

Post by that1crzywhtguy »

I have a model 2 sega saturn (circle buttons) and installed this: http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm, mod chip without issue a couple of years ago. Recently, my saturn stopped recognizing back ups without multiple tries. It would repeatedly load the game as if it were an audio cd then eventually work. Now it doesn't work at all. Now with my ram cart in (Ultra Madness 4m Turbo Key) it just says loading when I try to boot any game and without it it says "unsuitable disc for this system" I'm not sure what could have gone wrong... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn mod chip problems!

Post by ninjainspandex »

try cleaning the lens with canned air and lens cleaner (found at camera supply stores) may be just a dirty lens.
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

ninjainspandex wrote:try cleaning the lens with canned air and lens cleaner (found at camera supply stores) may be just a dirty lens.

Will try this and report back. Thanks
that1crzywhtguy
8-bit

that1crzywhtguy wrote:
ninjainspandex wrote:try cleaning the lens with canned air and lens cleaner (found at camera supply stores) may be just a dirty lens.

Will try this and report back. Thanks

Cleaned the lens and no such luck. Same issues... :cry:
McCracAttack

Post by McCracAttack »

I don't have a fix but I do have similar issues and here's what I've observed.

-The Saturn will start to work normally once it's "warmed up" a bit. I've seen other people report this online.
-Your mod chip may work flawlessly in one Saturn but take multiple tried to boot a game in another Saturn. This happened to me too. My chip worked flawlessly in my US Saturn but can sometimes take a couple of tried to boot games after I re-installed it in my japanese Saturn.

Hopefully someone with more know-how will chime in since this is a common problem.
darkcat
16-bit

Post by darkcat »

The laser for the saturn is more then likely starting to die, There is a few fixes for this.
A little background first
CD lasers use a BJT (bipolar junction transistor) there is a perimeter known as beta DC. This is ratio of the collector current to the base thus setting the gain. This number on a datasheet will never be a precise number; its given a range. Example 2N3904 has a Bdc of around 50-150. A laser needs this value to be quite close to the Q point (Quiescent point) this is where you want the transistor to be active. The lower point is known as cutoff VBE= .7V This is where there is no conduction. And saturation the upper point this is where too much gain is set and the output is seen as cut on the top of the value causing distortion or over running of the laser.

The laser has to screw hole looking points these are potentiometers. They are variable resistors that are used to set the gain of the amplifier. You need to set these as close to the Q point as you can.

Theres two ways to get Q, one calculating out the whole circuit not for someone that has no idea what there doing.

then there is metering a rough Q point/ trial and error. If you know someone with a oscilloscope i would recommend using this. Otherwise follow these steps

Find the pots mark the point its currently set with permanent marker (i'd use silver).
Then slow turn the pot very little and turn it on and test to see if it reads the games
Repeat above until works.
M47R1X
24-bit

Post by M47R1X »

Hey, I just wanted to chime in by saying that I'd gone through 3 of those before I tried one of these: http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/sat ... uide_2.htm

They apparently don't sell them anymore, however, which sucks. I think I was just a little overzealous with the soldering iron, but I was getting those problems off the bat. And I scorched a Saturn in the process :(

Edit: Apparently Webb's went to crap in the past few years. Please ignore my idiot post.
jinn
128-bit

Post by jinn »

M47R1X wrote:
Hey, I just wanted to chime in by saying that I'd gone through 3 of those before I tried one of these: http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/saturn/sat ... uide_2.htm

They apparently don't sell them anymore, however, which sucks. I think I was just a little overzealous with the soldering iron, but I was getting those problems off the bat. And I scorched a Saturn in the process :(

Edit: Apparently Webb's went to crap in the past few years. Please ignore my idiot post.

You have to email him about the chips. He had to take all the modchips off the site or paypal was going to banned his account.
PSone, Xbox, PS2, DC, SS Mod Service, PM for details
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Does the Saturn boot retail disc just fine, or is there a problem with them too?

The "unsuitable" message means that the game's region code doesn't match the system's region code. You can check a disc with a program called Saturn Region Patcher to see what region it is.

Double check the mod chip installation. Perhaps over time the connections have come loose, the solder joints in particular. You could also try removing and reinserting the chip from the socket.
darkcat
16-bit

Post by darkcat »

Ziggy587 wrote:Does the Saturn boot retail disc just fine, or is there a problem with them too?

The "unsuitable" message means that the game's region code doesn't match the system's region code. You can check a disc with a program called Saturn Region Patcher to see what region it is.

Double check the mod chip installation. Perhaps over time the connections have come loose, the solder joints in particular. You could also try removing and reinserting the chip from the socket.

He states
Now with my ram cart in (Ultra Madness 4m Turbo Key) it just says loading when I try to boot any game and without it it says "unsuitable disc for this system"

That would by pass the region coding.. The problem is clearly the laser.