Can you load PS2 imports on HDD without disc-swapping?

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Can you load PS2 imports on HDD without disc-swapping?

Post by nightrnr »

noiseredux wrote:alright, I got one of those little Swap Magic card tools. But I still can't figure out how I can install imports to the HDD (without connecting to my PC)?

HD Loader is the only program I know of that allows you to install the game directly from Disc to PS2. If you can trick the system with that magic card at the right time, then it it should in theory allow the install.

Actually, does anyone know if HDloader allow import installs as is? I have no idea.
I always go through the PC (via Winhiip). It seems like a hassle, but it's actually much faster.
...just another lost soul...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

nightrnr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:alright, I got one of those little Swap Magic card tools. But I still can't figure out how I can install imports to the HDD (without connecting to my PC)?

HD Loader is the only program I know of that allows you to install the game directly from Disc to PS2. If you can trick the system with that magic card at the right time, then it it should in theory allow the install.

Actually, does anyone know if HDloader allow import installs as is? I have no idea.
I always go through the PC (via Winhiip). It seems like a hassle, but it's actually much faster.

Yes HDAdvance /HDLoader can direct install imports without a Mod Chip.

The Flip Top is a better route over the Slide Tool to lessen damage to the tray.

Posted a PS2 Hard Drive Guide in my signature link.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

CRTGAMER wrote:Read my PS2 Hard Drive Guide in my signature link.

I did but could not figure out how to get imports to work. I have Swap Magic if that helps.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Thanks for clearing things up CRTGAMER.

noiseredux wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Read my PS2 Hard Drive Guide in my signature link.

I did but could not figure out how to get imports to work. I have Swap Magic if that helps.

His guide mentions having to have the CD Tray Cover removed to use your Magic Card, which would be a pain to take off and would disfigure the system.

I'd give up on that endeavor, unless someone else has a better option.

Really though, installing a game through PC is a much more convenient option than anything else. Occasionally, I'll still install a game through HDLoader, but most of the time, I load games on a group at a time.
...of course, I also use an IDE-to-USB adapter (with power cord) to interface with PC, so it's pretty simple operation.

I don't even mess with FTP on it. My one attempt failed pretty miserably... wish it was at simple as FTP-ing Xbox or PS3.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I did remove the disc tray cover. It comes right off easy. And I don't care if it's disfigured, as the PS2 stays hidden in my entertainment center. If there is a way to use HDLoader to install straight to HDD, that would be far more convenient to me than moving my PS2 and hooking it up to my PC or taking the HDD out and putting it in my PC.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

So, if I understand right, you just need to know WHEN to use that slide tool?
I would assume right as it checks the disc before install. But maybe it needs to be done right as the system boots? (or Both)

I have no idea myself. CRT should enlighten us

I did find an old post on the afterdawn forums that might help (uses swap magic disc):
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/727053
just an update: i got my adaptor, and got HDloader up and running. and i WAS able to get my imported games installed onto the Hard Drive on an unmodded PS2 :) this is what i did:

1. boot up HDloader
2. insert swap magic
3. hit install
4. hit cancel
5. hit install again
6. swap out disc for import
7. hit install and it works

but for some reason it wont' work if i don't insert swap magic. i tried using other games to do this but it fails if i dont' use swap magic.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

haha, I found that same post and was trying that with no luck. I don't know. Seems tricky - maybe it is just a timing thing. Not sure.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Bummer,
... all well, worth a shot.

Just remember that if all fails with this method, there are other options that work.
LentFilms
32-bit

Post by LentFilms »

Just came across this topic and figured I'd lend my input.

If you want to install imports, simply use HDLGameInstaller to install it from the DVD drive.
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f19/hdlgame ... bt-115321/
Though if it's DVD9 then you must use a network.

Also, despite what many recommend, don't use HDAdvance/HDLoader!
The software is almost a decade old. Use Open PS2 Loader, which is open source and recently got a new update (0.9.2).
https://bitbucket.org/ifcaro/open-ps2-loader/wiki/Home
It also has custom theme support, which means a nicer GUI,

Hope this helps! :)
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

nightrnr wrote:So, if I understand right, you just need to know WHEN to use that slide tool?
I would assume right as it checks the disc before install. But maybe it needs to be done right as the system boots? (or Both)

I have no idea myself. CRT should enlighten us

I did find an old post on the afterdawn forums that might help (uses swap magic disc):
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/727053
just an update: i got my adaptor, and got HDloader up and running. and i WAS able to get my imported games installed onto the Hard Drive on an unmodded PS2 :) this is what i did:

1. boot up HDloader
2. insert swap magic
3. hit install
4. hit cancel
5. hit install again
6. swap out disc for import
7. hit install and it works

but for some reason it wont' work if i don't insert swap magic. i tried using other games to do this but it fails if i dont' use swap magic.

That looks like an interesting approach, is this done without a slide tool or flip top when you insert the import disc? My guess is no since the PS2 does a region check every time the tray is ejected. The extra Swap Magic steps is not needed for import installs if this is the case.

As I posted earlier, invest in a Flip Top so you don't risk any damage with the slide tool. It is an entire replacement top cover for the Fat PS2 and is easily installed with a regular screwdriver. I only use the Flip Top for imports, open only when HDAdvance prompts to insert the game disc; NO SWAP MAGIC NEEDED for unnecessary disc swapping. The region check is never enabled since the regular disc tray is not ejected. The Flip Top is only used for the import installs since it is not as robust as the regular tray ejection.

[b]@ LentFilms - Eventually I might try Open PS2 Loader. For now I am content using a pressed disc of HDAdvance which loads most games just fine. For difficult games I also have the newest HDLoader installed as one of the "games" that loads from HDAdvance. All easily accessed off the hard drive without ever having to eject the tray or dealing with any disc swapping, HDAdvance permanently stays in the disc tray.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425