Discuss all hardware and software modifications
BitFaced
64-bit

If they can clone the NES RGB PPU...

by BitFaced Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:34 am

...Then does that mean that they can clone the NGC Component cable? I'm pretty sure it happened with the Jaguar's S-Video cables or something, and if they could clone something like the RGB PPU, then I'm sure they could clone this.
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
AppleQueso

Re: If they can clone the NES RGB PPU...

by AppleQueso Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:00 am

You talking about this?
http://universalppu.com/

Well it's not really a "clone", it's a full on drop-in replacement PPU made from scratch. It's actually much better than using the Playchoice PPU, and it has some neat extra features as well (such as customizable pallets).

As for the question about the Gamecube Component cable. It has a built-in chip that handles the video conversion. I guess technically someone could clone that if they really wanted, but I think the issue is lack of interest. After all, you can get component cables for a backwards-compatible Wii pretty easily.
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:13 pm

AppleQueso wrote:You talking about this?
http://universalppu.com/

Well it's not really a "clone", it's a full on drop-in replacement PPU made from scratch. It's actually much better than using the Playchoice PPU, and it has some neat extra features as well (such as customizable pallets).

As for the question about the Gamecube Component cable. It has a built-in chip that handles the video conversion. I guess technically someone could clone that if they really wanted, but I think the issue is lack of interest. After all, you can get component cables for a backwards-compatible Wii pretty easily.

Does that include the proper composite palette?
Also, isn't component video on the Wii inferior to the component video on the GameCube or something?
http://retrorgb.com/images/GameCubePage ... 0large.jpg
N64/NES/FC/SNES/SFC/GB (SGB)/GBC (Black)(SGB)/FDS/Satellaview/Genesis/Mega Drive/Master System & maybe N64DD/GBC/GBA.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:27 pm

BitFaced wrote:Does that include the proper composite palette?

Yup.

Also, isn't component video on the Wii inferior to the component video on the GameCube or something?

Yeah, that's true, but it's also not quite significant enough a difference to make someone actually go to the trouble of completely reverse engineering the encoder in the cable. They'd probably just fork over the cash for an official GC cable if they wanted it that badly.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

by ApolloBoy Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:47 pm

IIRC you can acquire the DAC chip in the GC component cable from AliExpress, but I'm not sure if they're fakes or not.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:27 pm

I'd love to see a homemade NGC component cable, but I don't see it happening.

Jaguar S-Video is in fact being made, I just got one from a guy on AtariAge, forget his name... looks REALLY good too, at a quick glance you wouldn't even realize it's a hack.

Cannot WAIT until I can buy the UniversalPPU. I have 2 toploaders and an AV famicom all waiting to have it installed. I'll leave my 3rd toploader with the standard composite mod that's already done :D
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 pm

ApolloBoy wrote:IIRC you can acquire the DAC chip in the GC component cable from AliExpress, but I'm not sure if they're fakes or not.

Interesting... Makes me wonder if you could just solder that to a component cable and other things.
theclaw
Next-Gen

by theclaw Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:11 am

Atari produced Jaguar s-video cables. RGB as well.
Lum fan.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

by ApolloBoy Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:18 am

BitFaced wrote:
ApolloBoy wrote:IIRC you can acquire the DAC chip in the GC component cable from AliExpress, but I'm not sure if they're fakes or not.

Interesting... Makes me wonder if you could just solder that to a component cable and other things.

The main roadblock for making a cable though would be sourcing the connector for the digital out, which seems to be proprietary and I don't know if you could even improvise one.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
BitFaced
64-bit

by BitFaced Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:17 am

ApolloBoy wrote:
BitFaced wrote:

The main roadblock for making a cable though would be sourcing the connector for the digital out, which seems to be proprietary and I don't know if you could even improvise one.

So it would take more than just copying a pinout?
Return to Hacks and Mods