Post Your Non-Auction Goods Here
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by noiseredux Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:09 pm

mjmjr25 wrote:FOR OFFER:
This is something to use when there is no real set price. Not something to use to get your friends and forum members blindly bidding against each other. Bidding is reserved for auctions and ebay.


this is the one that really bothers me. "For Offer" usually says to me "I'm pretty lazy so the buyer is going to have to do some extra work." When I see lists of games with no prices, I tend to just stop looking at that BST list. Why? Because I don't want to figure out what I think the games are worth, PM the seller, and wait to see if they accept my offer. That's too much work to buy something when I could just go to eBay or another sale thread with less work, even if it means I could pay more in the long run. And I don't mean that prices have to be set in stone, or that haggling is out. I don't mind haggling at all. But honestly, it's the same as when I go to a yard sale and there are no prices on shit. Unless they have a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, I'm more likely to just hop back in the car than to make an offer on a Greatest Hits copy of Vice City.


@Dave, I think you'd agree that selling it under "market value" will certainly increase your chances of being successful in your sale though, no? Often when I see items listed here at eBay prices I think to myself "oh I could just get that on eBay for the same price. No reason to jump on this sale before I miss out."
Image
User avatar
Hazerd
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by Hazerd Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

My offer for Chrono Trigger is $50, any takers?
Image
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23109
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by dsheinem Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:18 pm

noiseredux wrote:

@Dave, I think you'd agree that selling it under "market value" will certainly increase your chances of being successful in your sale though, no? Often when I see items listed here at eBay prices I think to myself "oh I could just get that on eBay for the same price. No reason to jump on this sale before I miss out."


Obviously selling cheaper will increase your chances of selling. I just don't like the implicit assumption that the item MUST be cheaper or that if it isn't it has to be JUSTIFIED.

For example, if virtually every copy of Darkstalkers 4 was selling on eBay for $40-$45 shipped and someone here was selling one for $45 shipped I'd be more inclined to buy it here, as I generally have more faith in the quality of the item coming from the community. If I am going to have to pay $45 anyway, I'd rather a forum member get the full $45 then to have them sell it on eBay and only get $40 of their $45 sale. Would I rather they sell it for $35-$40? Sure. Should I expect it? No.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by noiseredux Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 pm

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:

@Dave, I think you'd agree that selling it under "market value" will certainly increase your chances of being successful in your sale though, no? Often when I see items listed here at eBay prices I think to myself "oh I could just get that on eBay for the same price. No reason to jump on this sale before I miss out."


Obviously selling cheaper will increase your chances of selling. I just don't like the implicit assumption that the item MUST be cheaper or that if it isn't it has to be JUSTIFIED.

For example, if virtually every copy of Darkstalkers 4 was selling on eBay for $40-$45 shipped and someone here was selling one for $45 shipped I'd be more inclined to buy it here, as I generally have more faith in the quality of the item coming from the community. If I am going to have to pay $45 anyway, I'd rather a forum member get the full $45 then to have them sell it on eBay and only get $40 of their $45 sale. Would I rather they sell it for $35-$40? Sure. Should I expect it? No.



Yes I agree, I trust dudes here more than unknown eBayers. I can't speak for Mick, but what I was getting it was purely if I see Darkstalkers 4 for $35 here I say to myself "wow, that's been selling on eBay for like $45! I better buy it right now instead of wait around and end up paying the $45 later!" (Which would be a success for the seller). But if I saw it for $45 here, I'd be like "oh... that's a pretty fair price. I'll keep my eye on it. Maybe I'll buy it." (Which could be an eventual success for the seller).

Kind of goes along with what Mick was saying about updating sale threads, lowering prices etc though. If someone has a thread full of eBay priced stuff, then I see it as "ok, this is available to me if I want it." But if I see stuff below 'market value' then I'm going to be a much more motivated buyer so I don't miss out. Again, making the seller successful in their endeavors. And again, in both cases (if I buy now cheaper, or later at 'market value' from them) they have succeeded. Just in one case they might succeed quicker and more often.
Image
User avatar
dsheinem
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 23109
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 pm
Location: Northeast Pennsylvania

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by dsheinem Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm

I don't disagree with any of that. I just think we need to be careful about the line between what is "good practice" for selling stuff here and what is "an assumption" about buying things here. When that line is crossed, the tenor of negotiation PMs can turn sour quickly.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10701
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 pm

OK...I get it. I get it. I know that this conversation is directed at me, but there is no need to beat it into the ground. <sigh> I will put prices on the PS1 discs that I listed last night...
User avatar
8bit
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1903
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:20 pm
Location: Houston TX

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by 8bit Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:41 pm

lol @ prfsnl_gmr.... dont feel obligated... however i will say that i saw the thread, thought about tron bonne but then decided to pass because like noise said above, I dont like to take the first step in haggling usually. I like to see or ask for price before moving forward with negotiations. :)
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by Jmustang1968 Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:43 pm

I agree with these points.


I have had sales in the past and still try to set priced generally below ebay market value to both not have ro deal with ebay and to give fellow collectors a good rate. However, by doing this, many times suspected resellers swoop in and buy it and just relist it elsewhere. Making money off my intended goodwill which is a bit discouraging.


I fully agree with for offer threads. I hate playing the who makes the first offer game. FO to me usually means 'I know what I want for it but am hoping I get offered more'. So I only seek those out if it is something I really want. And if I do offer I am going to lowball, sorry if offended. Then I love the response: 'no way dude, these are going for $80 on ebay!!' Well then list it for $80...
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38130
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by noiseredux Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 pm

dsheinem wrote:I don't disagree with any of that. I just think we need to be careful about the line between what is "good practice" for selling stuff here and what is "an assumption" about buying things here. When that line is crossed, the tenor of negotiation PMs can turn sour quickly.


Maybe we have different ideas about what this thread is for. I don't see these as hard rules. We have a thread for that already. But I mean, things like Mick pointed out about bumping a thread that has same items at same price for 3 months... I don't think there should be any rule that says you can't do that. You can. You can price your stuff any way you want. But if you want to be successful (IE: sell things) then you're more likely to succeed by taking the hint that nobody is buying at that price so maybe you should lower prices at the next bump. I just see this thread as suggestions for moving your items, or wanting folks to jump at the chance to deal with you again. Y'know?
Image
User avatar
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6502
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

by Jmustang1968 Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I don't disagree with any of that. I just think we need to be careful about the line between what is "good practice" for selling stuff here and what is "an assumption" about buying things here. When that line is crossed, the tenor of negotiation PMs can turn sour quickly.


Maybe we have different ideas about what this thread is for. I don't see these as hard rules. We have a thread for that already. But I mean, things like Mick pointed out about bumping a thread that has same items at same price for 3 months... I don't think there should be any rule that says you can't do that. You can. You can price your stuff any way you want. But if you want to be successful (IE: sell things) then you're more likely to succeed by taking the hint that nobody is buying at that price so maybe you should lower prices at the next bump. I just see this thread as suggestions for moving your items, or wanting folks to jump at the chance to deal with you again. Y'know?


This is somewhat true. I have had it happen many of times where I will add new stuff then some guy gets on and buys 3 games I had listed on my thread for a few months. Just have to get the right person to look...
Return to Buy/Sell/Trade

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests