Guidelines for being a successful trader

Post Your Goods (and possibly trade wishlists) here
Opa Opa

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

Post by Opa Opa »

mjmjr25 wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:I was just in the Nintendoage marketplace.

I know, it's miserable as a buyer, right?

It's freakin' terrible.

Heck, even for a seller it's pretty awful (in my experience). The few times I've bothered to sell things over there I usually get lowball offers. I feel I price my stuff pretty fairly and then to have some guy offer me half of my asking? Screw off.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

It's a different animal, for sure. I've found that I can get market on my CIB nintendo stuff, so I do move stuff on there, but I rarely buy for the same reason.

Actual convo, pretty close to verbatim, but going from memory.
Me: Greetings, Whaddya want on the Super Metroid manual? (shipped in the US)
Seller: It's for offer
Me: Right, umm, looks in decent shape, $13 shipped.
Seller: It does $20 on ebay in this condition.

SO ASK FOR $20 SHIPPED THEN!

A funny thing happened over on neo forums as a bunch of NA'ers started to wonder over to that marketplace. The threads were all "for offer" and that doesn't fly on neo forums and threadcrapping is allowed, so it started sorta tame, "Hey, put prices on yr stuff, guy." Then it got harsher as is prone to do. Don't have prices, go sell over here (link to NA) or over here (link to ebay) or here (link to craigs list).

It got to the point neo forums made it an official rule violation to not have prices on your items.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

What's irritating about that ^ is, that's not how you haggle and two, he isn't making $20 after fees and other nonsense, so $13 may be low according to that, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Also, this is not eBay.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I very rarely give threads without prices more than a 5 second view. I can live with no pic but a good description as most people are pretty honest. No prices is super irritating as I don't want to insult someone or waste my time.

I also think it is lazy and that someone is fishing for a person to make some stupid high offer because they don't know prices. Unless it is something I really want I rarely even bother. Personally, I wish we had a rule in which you had to post prices, at least within 24 hrs of initial post.

Maybe we could put it to a vote in the BST and see what people want?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

wclem wrote:I very rarely give threads without prices more than a 5 second view. I can live with no pic but a good description as most people are pretty honest. No prices is super irritating as I don't want to insult someone or waste my time.

I also think it is lazy and that someone is fishing for a person to make some stupid high offer because they don't know prices. Unless it is something I really want I rarely even bother. Personally, I wish we had a rule in which you had to post prices, at least within 24 hrs of initial post.

Maybe we could put it to a vote in the BST and see what people want?

This really isn't a problem here... yet.

But if it comes to a point where very few people list prices; then yeah, I'd want to have a vote on this.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

wclem wrote:Maybe we could put it to a vote in the BST and see what people want?

I don't think it's really that big of a problem here, but it's probably worth opening up some discussion about it. It'd probably help everyone involved, as I imagine most people who post here with 'for offer' listings aren't aware that it turns away a lot of potential buyers.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I don't think there should be a "prices within 24 hours" rule, as people should be allowed to sell their goods as they see fit (within reason)

However, perhaps requiring an "FO" in the title of a thread with items up for offer would help everyone out. Then, the seller could still attempt to sell things as they like, and those of us who have no interest in "FO" threads can easily spot them and pass them up.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

My ears are burning!

I just listed about 75 items as FT/FO. Why? Because

A) I am not 100% sure I want to part with each and every one of the items in the end, so I want to test the waters (so to speak). If I put a price down, I feel like it commits me to accept that price. It may turn out there's high interest/low interest/no interest and this would affect the offer I'd let it go for.

B) I want to trade some of the items, and assigning a dollar value might not be the best way to usefully barter games in a trade.

I'm fully aware that FO threads get less action/attention, and I am fine with that for now. But I don't think they should be outlawed, forced to have "FO" in the already sparse real estate of a thread title, etc.

That's my initial .02 offer to this discussion...
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Well I did say it was probably worth opening up some discussion about it.

It's really not a big issue here either way. Perhaps sticking something about For Offers turning away potential buyers as a tip for newbie sellers in the OP of this thread is a nice idea?
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

dsheinem wrote: forced to have "FO" in the already sparse real estate of a thread title, etc.

I don't see the issue with asking people to put, in the thread title, what is happening in their thread. The real estate of a thread title is plenty large enough for two letters to be added to whatever it is you are selling. In most cases, it wouldn't even be added, it would just replace "FS" or "Have"

No one is just writing "NES/SMS/N64/PS/Saturn" and not specifying what they are doing with it.