Anybody Ever Own a Virtual Boy?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Anybody Ever Own a Virtual Boy?

Post by racketboy »

I just finished up my Games That Defined The Nintendo Virtual Boy and was wondering if anybody here has owned one or still owns one. I've only played other people's VBs, but have considered picking one up -- if nothing else its a nice novelty.
moofree

Post by moofree »

Never owned one myself, but rented one once...
That system really was ahead of its time, it's just the technology wasn't there yet.

I hope nintendo tries another virtual boy in 5-10 years time... I want nintendo 3d glasses... that don't cause migranes :)
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

There really weren't that many virtual boy games that were available in stores so I'm surprised this article was so long. Games didn't "define" the virtual boy. Only headaches and blurred vision. :roll:
retrogamer

Post by retrogamer »

I still own my Virtual Boy along with a complete set of USA release games and a near complete Japanese release collection. If I play the system twice a year I am lucky. It definately will give you eyestrain and a backache since there is really no comforatble position that you can get in to enjoy this thing for extended periods of time. That said the system was ahead of it's time and we owe thanks to the man who invented it. If it were not for him we would not have the Gameboy. Sometimes a company has to take a step back to move two steps ahead. The Virtual Boy was the undisputed step back. Mom was right with this one when she said videogames will burn out your eyeballs :cry:
alexkidd
24-bit

SMS 3D

Post by alexkidd »

Any of you who like Virtual Boy should find a Sega Master System and hunt down the 3D Glasses and some games. The gun game Missile Defense 3D is really awesome. There's also a 3D Zaxxon and about 6 other titles. The technology is pretty stunning for the 80's. I think it would've been HUGE if it were on the more popular NES.
SegaVega
24-bit

Post by SegaVega »

retrogamer wrote:I still own my Virtual Boy along with a complete set of USA release games and a near complete Japanese release collection.

I'll bet the ones you're missing are Gundam and Funky Bowling...those are impossible.

I have a Virtual Boy as well and find Wario Land to be a brilliant game. Panic Bomber and Vertical Force also have excellent replay value. That system's sprite technology in color would be something to behold, but it certainly will never happen. I guess what I'm saying is that Virtual Boy is a worthy purchase even today.

I think the main reason it didn't sell was that there is no way you can understand the system's abilities through magazine and TV ads. Nintendo couldn't very well have ran two identical images and told you to 'go cross-eyed'. You might have gotten the idea, but that would have been absurd. You really had to play it to understand it.
Indy_aka_Rex
24-bit

Post by Indy_aka_Rex »

I owned a VBoy when I was 12, my mother got it at K.B. Toys for like... 15 dollars, plus Mario Tennis and another game I forget. It was awesome... sorta.
karmax75

Post by karmax75 »

yeah, I love pinball, wario world, and I cant seem to be able to find it, but, red alarm. Teleroboxer is good too. Mines just on my shelf in my room.