Games better on the Game Boy than NES

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
marurun

Re: Games better on the Game Boy than NES

Post by marurun »

The GB Color was decidedly more capable than both the original Gameboy and the NES, with the only real drawback being the tiny screen resolution.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a hard time playing games that are zoomed in like that.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here are a few more...

BurgerTime Deluxe is a better game than the NES port of BurgerTime. It has more levels and passwords, and it plays more like a console game than a looping arcade game.

Kung Fu Master on the Gameboy is better than Kung Fu, the NES port of Kung Fu Master. I love Kung Fu’s speed and simplicity, but the Gameboy version has more enemies, more varied levels, more content, etc.

Like Donkey Kong, these games are so different from their NES counterparts that they‘re really different games entirely.

Finally, I think Milon’s Secret Castle is better in the Gameboy than on the NES. Neither version is very good though.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Type 1 - The NES Starwars and Empire Strikes Back games. The last stages were simplified.

Type 2/3 - Double Dragon. A competent port to both the NES with a remixed GB version, based on the NES version.

Type 3- Rampart, Qix
GoFoxGo

Post by GoFoxGo »

This is a type 1 game by your measure.

Felix the Cat. It's a shorter, tighter game made better by the fact that it doesn't drag it's feet through three additional worlds. It's a fun, simple platformer where much of the fun is derived from seeing the neat powers Felix is able to use (which change his appearance) based on the level. Whether it's air, land, sea, or outer space, Felix has a series of transformations that affect the way he moves and attacks.

At first, you may think that losing levels is a downgrade, but the longer NES game wears on you. What seems like an easy, charming platformer a la Kirby becomes a slog due to its lack of originality.

The Game Boy version is amazingly well done. The levels it shares with the NES are exact copies. The graphics are detailed. Nothing clashes with the background and they do not feel cramped on the Game Boy's tiny screen. The music and sound effects match the NES closely, though you aren't getting as much bass. All the secrets on the shared levels (like the powerup-spewun clouds are there). The bosses are the same and have the same amount of intelligence.

It's a tight, easy, but fun game.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

GoFoxGo wrote:This is a type 1 game by your measure.

Felix the Cat. It's a shorter, tighter game made better by the fact that it doesn't drag it's feet through three additional worlds. It's a fun, simple platformer where much of the fun is derived from seeing the neat powers Felix is able to use (which change his appearance) based on the level. Whether it's air, land, sea, or outer space, Felix has a series of transformations that affect the way he moves and attacks.

At first, you may think that losing levels is a downgrade, but the longer NES game wears on you. What seems like an easy, charming platformer a la Kirby becomes a slog due to its lack of originality.

The Game Boy version is amazingly well done. The levels it shares with the NES are exact copies. The graphics are detailed. Nothing clashes with the background and they do not feel cramped on the Game Boy's tiny screen. The music and sound effects match the NES closely, though you aren't getting as much bass. All the secrets on the shared levels (like the powerup-spewun clouds are there). The bosses are the same and have the same amount of intelligence.

It's a tight, easy, but fun game.

Thanks for the recommendation! It's a shame the game is so prohibitively expensive... :shock: