Zelda Skyward Sword Remaster

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Sload Soap wrote:The problems with Skyward Sword for me weren't just ones stemming from the motion controls although they don't help, with flight being the worst culprit. It was more how linear and cookie cutter everywhere but the desert felt. Then the forced repetition of those same areas to collect those note things was pretty dull. Fi is worse than Navi for treating the player like a total idiot. The overworld is pretty barren as well and is just a portal to the dungeons as opposed to Wind Waker's great sea which is itself a fun place to explore. It's got that Nintendo polish but it left a sour taste with me.

+1

It is not my favorite Zelda game, to say the least. Pretty, though.
Ziggy

Re: Zelda Skyward Sword Remaster

Post by Ziggy »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:It is not my favorite Zelda game, to say the least. Pretty, though.

Yeah, I do like the art style of the game. But now that I think about it, I remember it looking awful on my 1080p TV. IIRC, it was a blurry mess. Other 480p Wii games looked just fine on the same TV, but I remember thinking that the game was very blurry or something. Like, it was very apparent that it was SD being upscaled to HD.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Beautiful game, not great gameplay. The lumbering boss spiral fight is a burden for me that even the awesome desert section does not make up for.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

These "remasters" honestly do nothing for me, regardless of game. They aren't nearly as compelling as the ports of old. If I already own the original version of the game, I'm inclined to consider that "enough."

I don't think I've ever really played Skyward Sword either. I-it just came out a year or two ago, right?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:These "remasters" honestly do nothing for me, regardless of game. They aren't nearly as compelling as the ports of old. If I already own the original version of the game, I'm inclined to consider that "enough."

What I like about these remasters is that 480p 16:9 is kind of no man's land. Since it's widescreen and progressive I want to play it on an HDTV and not an SD CRT. But 480p doesn't always look good upscaled to 1080p (and now 4K). So remastering it to full HD is something worthy IMO.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I don't think I've ever really played Skyward Sword either. I-it just came out a year or two ago, right?

"Try 8" :lol:

https://youtu.be/DVA8vzEbm9Y?t=114

It'll actually be 9 years in November.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

So one year ago in Bone time.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Can't wait to play through 6 odd hours of tutorials, but in HD!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:I was enjoying the game OK, and I don't mind a more linear experience (in fact, I think I prefer it). But the backtracking is where I threw in the towel. I think I was on the edge of giving up just because I really wasn't enjoying the motion controls (again, I don't have a problem with them in theory, I just don't enjoy holding my hard in the air for long periods of time) and the backtracking is what pushed me over the edge. I don't mind backtracking in games, per se. But this didn't feel like just backtracking, it felt like they were straight up recycling areas of the game for padding.

+1

I think that's what I'm thinking they'll try and fix or tone back on for a remake/remaster. I'm absolutely in the camp of "Skyward Sword is a 30+ hour game that should've been a bit over 20 at the most", because the whole hero's song thing really pushes the whole thing wayyy over the line. If they cut back on the padding and the tutorials and refined what they had, I thiiiink that would be something more people would like? Even if the motion controls are still part of the game, I think there are certainly SOME more minor tweaks that could really help the experience.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Damn didn't know this was its own thread, AND that the rumours were true.

New announcement of this game is starting some beef. They will include fast travel in the remaster... if you buy and physically use a Zelda & Loftwing Amiibo on your switch.

I guess physical DLCs are gonna be the next big thing.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I'm not big into most optional DLC in general (especially if it really just amounts to a cheat code), but at least with the Amiibo support you get a nifty little statue out of the deal that you can potentially sell later.