Nintendo Switch App - Voice Chat?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Nintendo Switch App - Voice Chat?

Post by Ziggy »

So I see that Nintendo has a Switch Online app for Android and IOS, and I see that you can voice chat when playing certain games. I imagine if you're playing with more than 2 players then this would be useful. But my question is, if I'm only playing with one other person online, couldn't I just call them instead? Would there be any point to using the app over just calling them on a phone?
opa
128-bit

Re: Nintendo Switch App - Voice Chat?

Post by opa »

The main plus is that it lets Nintendo overly micromanage and over-complicate online services.

In all seriousness, the call quality is actually really good when I've used it. If you have a spotty cell connection but stable internet then it would let you have a better conversation with friends.
It also keeps you from having to give out your number to randoms on the internet (stupid-proof parental control). And there's probably parents that give their kids hand-me-down smart devices that can still function on wifi (but may not necessarily have an active cell phone plan).

Ideally, voice chat should be implemented on the system itself (like every other online service ever...)