I got a free Nintendo 64 today

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: I got a free Nintendo 64 today

Post by Xeogred »

Don't sleep on Bomberman 64 and the entire Rush trilogy, the exclusive Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA probably being my favorite.

I've been thinking of getting an Everdrive for my 64 this year.

Retro-Bit also released some Hori styled controllers recently:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q78YN2T
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:Retro-Bit also released some Hori styled controllers recently:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q78YN2T

I actually just picked one up and was planning on reviewing it once I spend a little more time with it. But my initial thoughts are that it's great and I like it a tad better than a real Hori because the Z buttons are shaped differently than the L and R Buttons (which makes it easy to distinguish without looking). But my only complaint so far is also the Z buttons. They're not as clicky as the L and R buttons, and I've had trouble pressing it on a diagonal and not having the button press register.

I also recently picked up and was planning on doing a mini review of the Brawler64. I love this controller. It's actually one of the most comfortable controller I ever held. My only complaint is, yet again, the Z button. I love the position and shape, but for some reason they decided to mimick an pressure sensitive analog button (like L and R on a Gamecube controller) even though it is NOT an analog button. So if you want to rapid fire a pistol in Goldeneye (for example) it ends up feeling mushy. It's a shame because otherwise this controller would be *perfect*.

But I love the Brawler64 controller so much that I was thinking about modifying the Z button so it's a normal digital button press. Turns out people do this with modern console controllers, they call it trigger stops.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Thanks for the feedback on controllers! My gaming budget is super slim right now, so I'll have to stick with the OEM green controller that came with my system for now. At least the controller is really clean haha. So far, I only have two N64 games: Turok 2 which I had grabbed fairly cheap to test the system, and NWO VS ECW which I grabbed at a yard sale. Not that I'm even a fan of wrestling. But if when I do need a second controller, I'll plan to pick up one of these third party options, which look more my comfort level.

One thing I do need is a controller extension cord. The stock controllers can't actually reach from the TV to the couch in the game room. :?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:so I'll have to stick with the OEM green controller that came with my system for now. At least the controller is really clean haha.

On the controller that you got, what is the condition of the stick? If you grab the top of the stick with your thumb and index finger, is there much play if you try to pull it up and down? It should be tight. If you hold just one prong and shake the controller, does the stick rattle around? It should rattle. If it isn't tight and rattles around, replacement parts can be had for really cheap. If it's nice and tight, then I suggest lubing it to make sure it stays that way.

noiseredux wrote:One thing I do need is a controller extension cord. The stock controllers can't actually reach from the TV to the couch in the game room.

Yep, I have controller extension cables for a couple of systems for the same reason.

Great news though, if you are planning on getting the Brawler64 or the Tribute 64 controller, they both have much longer cords to them. The Tribute 64 has a 10-foot cord! The Brawler64's cord is longer than an OEM controller, but I don't think it's 10 feet.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ziggy, thanks for the run down on both those controllers! I might just get... both!? Heh they both sound cool in their own ways. I could maybe see the Brawler feeling more ideal to me. Looks kind of like the Wii U Pro.

noiseredux wrote:and NWO VS ECW which I grabbed at a yard sale. Not that I'm even a fan of wrestling.

Yeah that second part is evident because, um... :lol:

Bet you'll have some multiplayer fun even if you're not into wrestling though, Revenge was sick.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:Ziggy, thanks for the run down on both those controllers! I might just get... both!? Heh they both sound cool in their own ways. I could maybe see the Brawler feeling more ideal to me. Looks kind of like the Wii U Pro.

I definitely recommend either as a great controller option, especially if you're not a fan of the OEM controller. My only complaint with the Brawler64 is the Z button, it's no good for anything that requires you to rapidly press it. But overall, it's a GREAT controller. You should pick one up!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Wrestlemania 2000 > nwo vs ecw
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah I've been working on this project for the last year or so where I made a gigantic list of games to check out from over the years. Some, like the wrestling games, are out of my comfort zone. But that's part of the fun. My way of thinking is, after playing these games, I keep the ones that are pleasant surprises, or trade/sell the ones I didn't care for. Anyway, NWO was on the list which is why I was weirdly excited when I saw it at a yard sale. Shrug. 2000 is also on my list. Actually, for someone who doesn't like wrestling, there's a few wrestling games on the list haha.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

Any of the games will scratch the wrestling itch. I got WM2000 and nwo vs ecw in a cheap lot. I liked 2000 more so I kept it. Although from what I've read No Mercy seems to be the fan-favorite but it usually goes for more than what I want to pay.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I bet I played 100s of hours of WCW vs NWO Revenge as a kiddo on my N64.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5