U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

Post by Ziggy »

The Wii U didn't sell too well, and so Nintendo is porting a lot of Wii U exclusives to the Switch. I don't blame them, it makes perfect sense. But how do you Wii U owners feel about this?

I had purchased all of the big first party titles on the Wii U. So all of these games that are getting ported to the Switch I already own. Yet, there's some slight update to each game that gives me a compulsion to buy them again. But I kinda hate the fact that I paid $60 for a game, and now I want to pay another $60 for the same game. I wish Nintendo offered some sort of rebate if you send in the proof of purchase of the U version. It's not even out of the realm of possibility. They offered a thank you to early adopters of the 3DS when it got an early price drop.

Again, I can't blame Nintendo for re-releasing these games since the Wii U didn't sell too well. But I still can't help feeling frustrated about it. Does anyone else share this frustration?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

Post by emwearz »

I don't blame them for re-releasing them at all, but as I own pretty much all first party Wii U games I have not picked up any of the re-releases.

It would have been nice if somehow they gave a loyalty discount to owners of the Wii U games, to show support to those who supported them during the Wii U, but I can understand the logistics of such a scheme would be a nightmare to implement and a pain to not have exploited. Even if they did, which it is too late not anyhow, it would most likely be digital only sales, in which case I wouldn't get any as I bought physical.

So I pretty much mirror your thoughts, am not too bothered, I played and finished most of them during the Wii U life cycle, I still own those games and can play them on the wii U whenever I have the desire, but games like Mario Kart would have been nice when the online community moved across to the switch.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Doesn't bother me really. I love the WiiU and it's small but excellent library and like the idea more people are getting to play those games. I think it's less cynical than the many superfluous "remasters" of already HD games to current gen consoles like Last of Us, Arkham Asylum/City, God of War 3, etc.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I like it. It means that there are fewer games for me to buy when I eventually get a Switch! :lol:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm all for ports of older to as many consoles as possible. I have a hard time seeing it as a negative to consumers in any way. I'm with Soap, it's less cynical than half-assed remasters which are trying harder to get you to double dip.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have no animosity toward Nintendo for doing this. I guess I'm mostly angry with myself for wanting to buy the same games twice, for little to no reason.

Which Wii U games have been ported to the Switch so far?

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Pokkén Tournament
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Lego City Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U

Any others?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I guess you could count BOTW, though that was a simultaneous release.

Personally, I'm fine with having the options. My preferred platform is Switch of course. But I'll tend to pick and choose. There are some games I'll go for the U version because it's cheaper and I'm indifferent, and other games where I feel like I'll want them on Switch because I might play them portably more, or because they're more online focused and there will be more people playing on Switch.

Even more interesting is something like Captain Toad which is on U, Switch and 3DS.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

noiseredux wrote:Even more interesting is something like Captain Toad which is on U, Switch and 3DS.

I think Captain Toad pisses me off the most. I rather enjoyed this game on the Wii U. The Switch version adds a few things, mostly 2-player and the Odyssey levels. But the Switch version also has the DLC levels. But the game plays way better on the Wii U. I guess if you're in handheld mode, the Switch wont be any different than the Gamepad. But if you're docked, the touch controls are kinda awkward the way they're implemented in the Switch version. Most of the time this doesn't matter. But the on-rails level was very difficult to aim.

So the game plays better on the U, but there's more content on the Switch. It's a trade off either way.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have no animosity toward Nintendo for doing this. I guess I'm mostly angry with myself for wanting to buy the same games twice, for little to no reason.

Which Wii U games have been ported to the Switch so far?

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Pokkén Tournament
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Lego City Undercover
New Super Mario Bros. U

Any others?

Don’t forget Hello Kitty Kruisers! :lol:
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Gunstar Green wrote:I'm all for ports of older to as many consoles as possible. I have a hard time seeing it as a negative to consumers in any way. I'm with Soap, it's less cynical than half-assed remasters which are trying harder to get you to double dip.

This. But also they help reduce the resale value of the Wii U copies I'm buying now for me and my kiddo.
Yay for cheap games on a non-popular console!