U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: U Owners: How do you feel about all the Switch ports?

Post by Ziggy »

Well, I did it. I bought New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe for no real good reason. I just can't help myself.

Although, I'll admit is is nice to have both games together on a cart. I owned the physical versions of NSMB and New Super Luigi on the U, so you'd have to switch discs to switch between the two. With Deluxe, you can switch between them instantly on the file select screen. To be fair, you might have been able to do this on the U if you had the digital version of Super Luigi, but I had the physical version.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Maybe it will still be awkward on the Switch, for me it will probably be at least somewhat better than on the WiiU.

Let me know what you think after trying it.

I beat Captain Toad a few days ago, and it was a lot better on the Switch! I had no troubles with those touch blocks and it was so much easier to aim and shoot in the mine cart levels. The only somewhat annoying thing is that with the wheel spinning bits, the wheel covers up a huge amount of the screen and I wish it was a bit smaller or more transparent or something. Although, thinking about it, it might be like that in the original as well but I don't quite remember. Either way, I wouldn't ever go back to motion controls for Captain Toad.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

laurenhiya21 wrote:The only somewhat annoying thing is that with the wheel spinning bits, the wheel covers up a huge amount of the screen and I wish it was a bit smaller or more transparent or something. Although, thinking about it, it might be like that in the original as well but I don't quite remember.

I know! This was a huge annoyance for me! I think it was like that in the original, but you had to look down at the Gamepad anyway so it didn't really matter. On the Switch though, it was a HUGE annoyance. It especially made a boss fight harder because I couldn't see oncoming projectiles.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Part of me will always be a little miffed that I have this glorious full Wii U set, and this little shits who couldn't be bothered to support such an underappreciated system get to play such amazing games.

Then the 95% of me that's a fucking adult realizes that these games are amazing and should be enjoyed, so why the hell shouldn't they be ported to a crazy successful (and portable, to boot) console?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

One thing I didn't mention (in this thread) is that I'm slightly crazy when it comes to wear and tear on my consoles. In my mind, the solid state technology should out last the disc drive in the Wii U, so I want to repurchase these games for preservation's sake.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote: I have this glorious full Wii U set,

have you been keeping up with all the subsequent Just Dance releases? Haha. (seriously, did you get Axiom Verge?)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Wait Elkin, you have a full WiiU set or full Nintendo first party line up? Guessing the later. Awesome either way.

The WiiU mod scene allow you to play retail ISOs. For these I'd personally be tempted to rip, test, backup, sell, & get switch versions but I'm also not a Nintendo collector.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:

have you been keeping up with all the subsequent Just Dance releases? Haha. (seriously, did you get Axiom Verge?)

My daughter loves Just Dance; so i am the proud owner of Just Dance 2019 for the Wii U. (Fun Fact: Just Dance 2019 was also released for the Wii! It will be interesting to see if Just Dance 2020 is released for either console.) I also picked up Axiom Verge because I had to have it. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I can see the allure of collecting a full Wii U set, as it's relatively small - only around 100 retail games or so. And the majority are pretty cheap.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Wait Elkin, you have a full WiiU set or full Nintendo first party line up? Guessing the later. Awesome either way.

I meant the former. I have literally every game ever released for the Wii U in North America plus two PAL games and a Japanese game unreleased physically in North America. I plan to fill in the other regional gaps at some point.

noiseredux wrote:

Yes to both.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.