Recommendations for N64 memory pak and Controllers

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Recommendations for N64 memory pak and Controllers

Post by Curlypaul »

Hello! It's been a while since I've been here!

So, YouTube threw up some Perfect Dark speed runs for me to watch and inspired me to return to gaming after a long long break.

Dusted off the 64, andt been practising a bit this afternoon, but I don't trust my old memory cards or cheap Chinese cards from Amazon. Which ones are recommended?

Also, I've seen adverts lately for new third party controllers, are any of these any good or am I better off finding some of the GameCube style replacement sticks that emerged a few years ago?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Recommendations for N64 memory pak and Controllers

Post by Tanooki »

You're better off avoiding anything but a Nintendo made memory card as they were more or less random fail garbage 20 years ago and more than likely to have issues with decades of age (and abuse) added to it. N64 have some 1:1 modern controllers more or less, but my understanding is the joystick internals are worse than the original. May be better off just shopping for an original that wasn't abused by Mario Party playing.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Well my third party memory card I got with the console is still going strong. I think it's Joytech or something.

Don't all N64 memory cards use battery back up anyways, including the official ones? So they're all pretty shit. At least third party ones are easy to replace the battery for. The official ones have to be opened up with a screwdriver or whatever and then replacement battery needs to be soldered into place.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

That's a real shame about the new controllers, was really hoping someone had solved the issue by making some decent ones :(
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Curlypaul wrote:Hello! It's been a while since I've been here!

So, YouTube threw up some Perfect Dark speed runs for me to watch and inspired me to return to gaming after a long long break.

Dusted off the 64, andt been practising a bit this afternoon, but I don't trust my old memory cards or cheap Chinese cards from Amazon. Which ones are recommended?

Also, I've seen adverts lately for new third party controllers, are any of these any good or am I better off finding some of the GameCube style replacement sticks that emerged a few years ago?

The replacement GameCube style sticks aren’t all that great from everything I’ve heard. If you want to play N64 with a GameCube style controller then the best option is probably to buy one of those controller converters and actually just play an N64 game with an actual GameCube controller. I’m on my phone so can’t link you, but check out the My Life In Gaming channel on YouTube - they have a video about each of those options and talk about the positives and negatives of both
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Thank you, I did have a look at those 2 vids, seems like the replacement pot is sadly out for me. Was a bit reserved about the GC adapter at first but thankfully he shows a profile that was workable for GE, so will prob work for Perfect Dark as well.

It's hard to believe that after all these years, we are still kind of stuck for options.

Has anyone tried any of the new third party memory paks on Amazon? I'm not sure if they are new new, or new old stock. They are only a fiver so might chance it.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Personally, I'm loving the retro fighters pad. I've been using it as my main pad since I got it.

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

Reprise wrote:Personally, I'm loving the retro fighters pad. I've been using it as my main pad since I got it.

This does look very interesting, also saw some videos reviewing this and the guy mentioned it doesn't seem to the same subtlety of response as the orignal (when it's working!) Reviewer was unconcerned, but I think I am. Will probably get one anyway as it may not matter for most games.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

It's a difficult one, because games for the N64 were typically, as you'd expect, made with the original long plastic stick in mind. But that stick is absolutely useless! All of mine have gone loose, which affects performance. One of my pads was bought brand new and I've really tried to look after it and the stick has still gone loose!

The retro fighters pad's stick is really good and I haven't noticed too much issue with it. The games I have tested so far work great, especially Doom 64 which I have been playing the most. I found the d-pad occasionally a little awkward and unresponsive when playing WWF No Mercy though, but it was fine for the most part.

Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

You make a good point - a non optical wheel stick vs a fucked optical wheel stick... Well the first option has to win doesn't it really.

I'm lucky in that I do have a couple of decent original sticks, but the collector in me wants them to stay that way. So I'll get one of the Retro pads for general use and save the originals for when I really need the precision. Not gone retail yet, so will have to wait a short while. Thanks for all the great advice, I knew I could rely on RB.