SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Reprise »

Betagam7 wrote:Even odder is the decision to release the European model with a bunch of games that most European players will have little nostalgia for as they were never released in Europe or were released under a different name.

I'm in NO WAY sorry that Europeans are finally getting 60hz proper versions of games they missed out on but it is a sudden, inexplicable change in logic from Nintendo, who has always used nostalgia to justify re-releasing botched 50hz versions on its digital platforms.

It really is bizarre that Japan has a slightly different set of games.

As a European, hearing Japan were getting some different games had me worried, so I am so happy they haven't decided to give us PAL only releases or 50hz versions. It's great for me, as I only have an unmodified PAL SNES and PAL games and although I didn't really notice the 50hz issue growing up, I do now, especially when I go from using my modded Mega Drive to my unmodified SNES.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

ElkinFencer10 wrote: Or are you selectively ignoring the fact that Reprise already managed to get a pre-order without having to fight off Mordor's scalper horde?

Haha I just checked the site mind and they're sold out already (I'll guess it'll stay that way until find out if they'll get another allocation).

Like I said, you have to be fast 8)

I can see why it's annoying though. I told my mum about the NES Classic Mini last year and she thought it was a great idea for my brother for Christmas, but we could never find one for him.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Betagam7 wrote:
Sarge wrote:Actually, I think the differences are:

Japan: Mystical Ninja, Super Soccer, Fire Emblem, Tetris Attack
US: Super Castlevania IV, Super Punch-Out, Kirby Dream Course, EarthBound

We also get SFII Turbo instead of SSF2.

That's a huge win for us.

The different line-ups really are bizarre. Why one version of SF2 over another?

Even odder is the decision to release the European model with a bunch of games that most European players will have little nostalgia for as they were never released in Europe or were released under a different name.

I'm in NO WAY sorry that Europeans are finally getting 60hz proper versions of games they missed out on but it is a sudden, inexplicable change in logic from Nintendo, who has always used nostalgia to justify re-releasing botched 50hz versions on its digital platforms.

Nintendo has been releasing 60hz games on Wii U Virtual Console for a little while. It's not a new decision.

There are some odd missing titles from the list in my opinion, such as DKC2 & 3, Final Fantasy II (1 was on NES, and 3 is here) and Pilotwings, but it's a good lineup either side of the pond in general. Shame I own literally all of them in some form, most of them physically :lol:
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Nintendo have said they will be producing a lot more stock for the SNES Mini. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Pilotwings, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Chrono Trigger are bizarre omissions in my opinion.

Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

In Europe it's worth remembering that there is A LOT bigger a nostalgia market for the SNES than there ever was for the NES (which simply wasn't that popular in Europe where the home computer market was the thing). Hopefully that will influence Nintendo to produce more stock for this thing than they did the NES classic.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Betagam7 wrote:In Europe it's worth remembering that there is A LOT bigger a nostalgia market for the SNES than there ever was for the NES (which simply wasn't that popular in Europe where the home computer market was the thing). Hopefully that will influence Nintendo to produce more stock for this thing than they did the NES classic.

That's somewhat true, but we were still far more into the Mega Drive here than the SNES.

On the topic of getting 60hz rom versions and American only games, I'm so glad we're getting Contra III instead of Super Probotector :D

Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Reprise wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:In Europe it's worth remembering that there is A LOT bigger a nostalgia market for the SNES than there ever was for the NES (which simply wasn't that popular in Europe where the home computer market was the thing). Hopefully that will influence Nintendo to produce more stock for this thing than they did the NES classic.

That's somewhat true, but we were still far more into the Mega Drive here than the SNES.

On the topic of getting 60hz rom versions and American only games, I'm so glad we're getting Contra III instead of Super Probotector :D

Some of us enjoyed playing Contra as a pink robot! I mean...that's what I heard...from a...from a friend. :oops:

Was Super Soccer REALLY that popular in Japan? That's got to be the hands down oddest choice for me. Especially when the excellent Super Tennis continues to be universally ignored by Nintendo.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Tanooki, we don't hate you, but your scalper/hoarder rant is just getting old, is all. You get so worked up about all the anonymous people out there supposedly keeping you from the things you want. It's like this big conspiracy theory or something, y'know? The horse is dead. It's OK to be frustrated, but continuing to beat the corpse is going to accomplish very little at this point.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah I get that, but let's be honest here, this is just one in a string of unrelated posts where I get crap from moderators and members alike that talk down to me or make a mockery of what I wrote.

That's why I put that there, it goes beyond scalping. I've come to the conclusion that when I write something that isn't directly just being nice and/or helpful, and it doesn't jive with the hive mind I'm going to get crap for it. I get that and it makes sense, at least from a general member base, but when mods jump in to do it, at least to me having been in those shoes for years elsewhere, it crosses a line where staff shouldn't be ridiculing members at some base level of professionalism being the face of the site. That's why I said, leave it be and ignore me or remove me as clearly I'm a disturbance in the force.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It's just that no one cares enough to talk about the scalpers. It's irrelevant.

Saying, "oh boy the scalpers are going to buy up this new Nintendo collectible," is like saying, "grass is still green today." We know. There's no need to clutch our pearls in horror each time.

But yes, you make a good point, we should just ignore it and move on.