SNES Classic coming September 29th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: SNES Classic coming September 29th

Post by Betagam7 »

Well my caution lasted barely 48 hours. My partner installed it on her tablet and we hacked it successfully with that. I think the problem was my ancient Windows 7 laptop and possibly not using the cable that came with the Classic the first time around. it was still way slower than the Youtube guide I watched so I guess the processing power of your computer does matter. I put on nearly everything from my legit cart and VC collection and 95% worked fine. The only games I had trouble with were some European Roms, particularly the following:

Super Tennis
Super Putty
Super Probotector
The Lost Vikings
Super Swiv

They display slightly off center of the border with a black border at the bottom and the picture stretching up to the top of the screen. Lost Vikings also had music that was skipping all over the place. However many other European games such as the Swedish version of Shadowrun worked just fine. I'm guessing that it's something to do with the optimization and or 50/60hz thing. They are playable still but I only want games on there to look legit. I guess it explains why Nintendo opted to only use US roms on the PAL release. I'm kind of sad that I'll have to have Firepower 2000 on the system instead of Super Swiv as I have nostalgia for the original name...and the robots from Super Probotector. :)

I also put Hyper Metroid on there and that ran fine.

I used hackchi 2.2 as I read that people were having issues with the newer releases and Donkey Kong Country 2 which we wanted to play co-op. I only used about half the space but I might end up condensing it further as, while it's visually impressive to see all those classics on there I'd like to keep it to games I actually want to play and still haven't beaten.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

If you're using an older version, I'd go with 2.21f. However, I just updated to the newest CE version, and things seem to be working fine.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Getting absorbed into Chrono Trigger...a game I only took faltering steps into on the VC years ago. It seems to work great on the SNES classic. I have noticed that in the polluted future level when Marle does her tech the mist briefly disappears. I'm not sure if it was like that in the original game or if it's an issue with transparency on the classic.

Also tried some Kick Off 3 and encountered some weird glitches...but as I recall these were also present on the original.

I've reduced the total number of games I have down to 60 now as any more than that (without the aesthetic ruining folders) was giving me a C8 error on shutdown.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

In the SNES CE you'll find that the games are not cleaned up or doctored if they had some original glitches on whatever their last known internal (we don't see 1.1, 1.2, etc) release had. What they DO filter are anything with a flashing/flickering screen or large enough space that could make someone have a seizure or other issue over something happening on screen. Both the NES and SNES HDMI systems do this almost like an overlay to the originals. I never dug into it deep enough to know if it's an overlay or a specific hack to the ROMs themselves as it never bothered me much. In FF1 that flash when you use spells in a fight now are slower and colorized which actually looks kind of cool really.

I've never finished CT either, do own an original though, but I just get fed up after awhile with it so I couldn't tell you if that happened or not, but some die hard could but if that soccer game is doing as you said it would make sense.

You don't need to reduce your games if you do a different style of install. Just get a USB bypass module with a left side port for a USB stick drive. Pop that into your system power jack in back, USB into the side, power cable out the back of the module. Setup hakchi2 that uses the bypass, and you can toss the entire (working with their emulator) SNES library on there. And if that's not good enough, for what fails, get an android SNES emulator and fill out the rest. That's how people are really exploiting it now as it can handle with proper setup even N64 games too and anything less powerful than that through android emulators.