Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Metroid Prime 4 & Metroid: Samus Returns Discussion

Post by Tanooki »

No I got tired of the game after a couple hours I guess it was last night and flipped it off as soon as I hit that first save spot in Area 2. Those spiny guys annoyed the crap out of me so I was like, good place to stop.

I probably will pick it up a bit this evening again, but I also had a couple things I wanted to do as well so maybe tomorrow. It's fun, just I think they making the counter almost mandatory is fairly uncool. It doesn't hurt the game, but just seems like an unnecessarily forced mechanic on top of an overall excellent experience so far.

Also did not like that ice beam(charge) jump, missile, then hop into the crack for that last metroid. The controls make my hands hurt a little after awhile due to hugging on the L button so much which is odd.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

To me it feels like the counter was added to make several of the enemies more interesting. Before you had enemies that would patrol back and forth that were only vulnerable from one side and other guys that just patrolled in the air without engaging you. Which worked better when the screen was zoomed in, but would be a bit too easy in a modern game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

It feels so good to play a 2D style Metroid again from Nintendo. The game is great and tougher than some games. I hope we get Metroid V next on 3DS.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Segata wrote:It feels so good to play a 2D style Metroid again from Nintendo. The game is great and tougher than some games. I hope we get Metroid V next on 3DS.

Na man, put it on Switch.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I've got 4.5 hours in now, with 28 metroids left to kill. Still having a great time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

10 hours in. It's very, very good, with some minor quibbles. Definitely worthy of the Metroid name, though.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Not sure what my playtime is, but I have 4 Metroids left.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:10 hours in.

You're likely close to being done then. The average "time to beat" on HLTB is pegging 9 hours. The shortest I've seen on HLTB so far is 7 hours 18 minutes, which is why I found Popo's "six and a half hours" beat time surprising. As for myself, I'm taking my time, no rush. We had to wait 13 years to get a new side-scrolling Metroid, who knows how long it'll be again. I'm trying to make the experience last.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:10 hours in.

You're likely close to being done then. The average "time to beat" on HLTB is pegging 9 hours. The shortest I've seen on HLTB so far is 7 hours 18 minutes, which is why I found Popo's "six and a half hours" beat time surprising. As for myself, I'm taking my time, no rush. We had to wait 13 years to get a new side-scrolling Metroid, who knows how long it'll be again. I'm trying to make the experience last.

Popo is too good at games. But yeah, I'm taking my time and exploring/backtracking, so my completion time will probably be close to 15 hours.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I got the lightning armor and a few more missile packs in that general area, down to 33 metroid left I think with maybe 3hrs on the clock. I started poking around that huge cavern space in area 2, but I'm kind of lost where to go next. I mean I could teleport to an earlier spot and see if I can grab more stuff now with the armor, or having ridden that inter area2 elevator investigate that space as well.

Is it just me or am I seeing more people online not longer term liking the counter setup, people getting tired of it finding it annoying after a time. I kind of agree with them. The enemies are already smarter and turn to attack enough instead of mindlessly moving along but it seems a bit much.

I hope I can find another e-tank soon, just have the 2 so far.