NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
jbeedham
8-bit

How to tell SNES authentic vs. repro?

by jbeedham Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:30 pm

So in short how do you tell an authentic SNES game vs. a repro? Is it simply a matter of opening every game up to look at the chips inside?

I ask because I was watching a Ninja Gaiden Trilogy auction on Ebay that is ending around now and when looking in sales history I saw one marked as a repro that looked identical to me.
AES | CDZ | Dreamcast | Duo | Genesis | NES | SNES | Xbox | 7800
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: How to tell SNES authentic vs. repro?

by Gunstar Green Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 pm

jbeedham wrote:So in short how do you tell an authentic SNES game vs. a repro? Is it simply a matter of opening every game up to look at the chips inside?

I ask because I was watching a Ninja Gaiden Trilogy auction on Ebay that is ending around now and when looking in sales history I saw one marked as a repro that looked identical to me.

It depends, some are obvious due to their labels or shells being visibly different.

Unfortunately many are so good that it's nearly impossible to tell without seeing what's inside.

Counterfeit games have become a huge issue for collectors. I really wouldn't advise buying a valuable cartridge anymore without being shown the board.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: How to tell SNES authentic vs. repro?

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:Counterfeit games have become a huge issue for collectors. I really wouldn't advise buying a valuable cartridge anymore without being shown the board.

This. Ask the seller for board pics.
Return to Nintendo