Games becoming Nintendo Selects on March 11th

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Games becoming Nintendo Selects on March 11th

Post by CRTGAMER »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Cronozilla wrote:I wonder if Nintendo Selects Pikmin 3 will include any of the DLC. I'm thinking no, but I'm still curious.

Given a choice off the store shelf, I usually buy the Selects or Greatest Hits versions of games. With very few exceptions such as PS2 Grand Theft Auto IV, the later release sometimes have additional levels (PS2 Silent Hill for example) as well as bug fixes.

I can never understand why some collectors prefer the original. Sure it initially costs more, but in total inventory the Selects and Greatest Hits only come out after a given title has sold in huge quantities. The newer Selects and Greatest Hits overall inventory are usually less total numbers making it more rare; depending how many more sales it has by the end of a console cycle.

Ooh, Wii Super Mario All Stars coming out as Selects! Now in this case, the additional content most likely will not be included compared to the initial release. Fingers crossed for the CD and Booklet for the Selects version, though doubtful.

Okay, I'm nuts!

:idea: In anticipation for possible U.S. release of Wii Selects Super Mario All Stars, I went online and ordered the CD with Red Case and History Book. Not a bad price, Ebay listings averaging around ten to fifteen bucks shipped CIB. I was so tempted to buy it sealed for a crisp book inside, but went with a seller that displayed the CD opened advertising NEW condition with multiple closeup pictures of CD, Case and History Booklet.

To think I passed up the red cased CD a year ago at a local Thrift Store! Ah, well this one is CIB with the booklet. :mrgreen:

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I bought that Super Mario set about four years ago. I was unimpressed. The history booklet has very little info, neglects to mention many of the Mario games in the main series, and falls well short of a wikipedia article. The soundtrack CD was disappointing too. It was only ten songs and ten sound effects. Why does Nintendo think I want to listen to a two second sound clip on my CD player? These are all message tones on my android phone already.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

samsonlonghair wrote:I bought that Super Mario set about four years ago. I was unimpressed. The history booklet has very little info, neglects to mention many of the Mario games in the main series, and falls well short of a wikipedia article. The soundtrack CD was disappointing too. It was only ten songs and ten sound effects. Why does Nintendo think I want to listen to a two second sound clip on my CD player? These are all message tones on my android phone already.

The game itself is overpriced with just four emulated SNES games and from I have read nothing else on the disc. This is why I have held off buying in the past, but now looking for it to augment the Wii Kirby Dream Collection which was done right with so much extra footage on disc. Still, it would be nice to get the original Super Mario for the cardboard box to house both cases. Would be neat if the Selects Mario version adds extra video footage as in the Kirby Collection.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I bought it because collector and because Nintendo. I mean, really, it was a bad purchase objectively, but I get a huge gamerection from collector's edition anything with Nintendo.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I bought it too knowing what it was day one because I could find one and liked having it on a disc, plus the book was fun and I made MP3s of the CD. In the end copy #1 I had, and I thought it was the game, lagged like hell and made it unplayable so I sold it -- due to the hype and made like $20 on it. Sound kind of lame but I gave some lady a 'deal' since flippers were asking $20-30 more than I was locally just to move it.

Later I made a joke on NA about a SMAS box I had in a guys sales thread as he wanted it gone too, and he said I got it, felt obligated and paid him and this was during a low so it was cheap. I found out ultimately the game plays 100% right and felt dumb I sold the first one. For a time I had the Wii on the main tv, a new 40 some inch Samsung and second time around it was on my modern game friendly LCD I had that didn't do input lag (I had no idea then.) I played it like a champ and realized then what did it. I only got rid of it when I sold my Wii setup entirely to a guy from NA who happened to be a KY local as part of the package. It's not a lagged game, it's not broken, it's just straight up emulated ROMS on a disc with NOTHING ELSE.

Don't think for one second Nintendo on a cheapo budget line is going to throw the added 2nd CD, the content of it, digitally or otherwise with the BOOK too in there. You'll get the disc, and that's it, and I'd bet you without even the manual it came with too so they can save more cash on the deal.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tanooki wrote:Don't think for one second Nintendo on a cheapo budget line is going to throw the added 2nd CD, the content of it, digitally or otherwise with the BOOK too in there. You'll get the disc, and that's it, and I'd bet you without even the manual it came with too so they can save more cash on the deal.

I agree that it will just be the game, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The added stuff was because it was the 25th anniversary celebration; there's nothing special about Mario's 31st anniversary. The manual would be nice - or at least some manual - but I think it's totally fair that the CD and art book not be included. There's something to be said for keeping collector's editions special. That's why it always irked me that (to my knowledge) Metroid Prime Trilogy never got a "regular" edition release in North America.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I still feel incredibly smart for selling my copy of Metroid Prime 3 while it still had value, and picking up Trilogy. I kept my GC copies of the first two games, though.

As far as SMB is concerned, I really don't have an issue with them just putting ROMs on a disc. I think we've gotten to the point where we've devalued the games considerably because they've been available in emulated form for so long, so when someone throws it out there on a disc, we're like, "That's it? I could get that junk for free!" (One can certainly make the argument that there should have been more extras, but at the same time, how did that package line up with the VC releases? Probably similar in price if bought separately.)
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Well I already ended up with the history booklet and CD in the extra case for the SMB collection so really the only thing I will be missing out on is the cardboard box which is no biggie.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Metroid Prime Trilogy is actually what got me into the series, believe it or not. It had always been on my "I need to play that at some point" list, but I just never got around to it. I saw that at Gamestop one day when I was with my girlfriend at the time (one of the few times she let me even speak about video games without getting pissed at me for a week), and I was like "Why not? It's all three Prime games, and they have the motion controls I love." I then, of course, fell in love with the series and picked up 3 DIRT cheap along with 1 and 2 (significantly less dirt cheap) just to have on the shelf because collection.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Tanooki wrote:There's something to be said for keeping collector's editions special. That's why it always irked me that (to my knowledge) Metroid Prime Trilogy never got a "regular" edition release in North America.

The one in the plastic sleeve with the mini fold out laminate art book in the case was the normal edition, they didn't do anything other than that and didn't mark it as special either, they just didn't run millions of it. Then you got a real standard reprint from Gamestop which was just game+case if I recall right. I get what you mean, but it wasn't advertised as a special event package.

I was so happy when it came out because as far as I cared it fixed the broken controls of the GC games where they tried to pass it off as a first person adventure, but it's really just a FPS with some halfass controls as you get to the later more complicated sections. The enemies there move like some semi-smart mouse+keys type bot taking pot shots while you fiddle with buttons getting hit while trying to first get a lockon before firing back which was retarded to no end. Wii remote removed that stupidity and the game ran so smooth and enjoyably.