Famicom Disk System - information and diskussion

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Rydon
24-bit

Re: Famicom Disk System - information and diskussion

Post by Rydon »

Thanks for the info. I check out the lists you guys sent. I do not currently own a famicom so I am leaning more toward getting a twin fami and having both on hand.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Cool.
I stayed away from this for years, mostly because I didn't trust the aging technology, but also because most games I was interested in had fami/NES carts.
I may have to reconsider though. Emulation is my preference here, so I'll check it out sometime (especially if there are any ARPG's with translations).
...just another lost soul...
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

@nightrnr
Check out Seiken Psycho Calibur, Esper Dream, & Sylviana - All pretty enjoyable and I've logged many hours on all of them on my GBA back in the day, tho a bit too grindy on one of them (can't remember which ATM).
I was sure Radia Senki was FDS, but I guess not. Give it a try if you haven't. It's really good.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Psssst!
I wrote about some of the ARPGs on my blog...
http://jrpgdensetsu.blogspot.com/
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Thanks for the recs, Anapan. I will check them out.
Really, I need to find an emulator that I like to play these on.
Most of the time, there is no rhyme or reason to what I like to play on, I just try something and it clicks.
I may well play them on GBA. I use one of my SP's for some casual NES play already (GBA Movie Player). I'm sure another one running the super card would work for save dependant games.

Then again, I think a PSP is more the way to go here (assuming the emu. has compatibility, which one of them does I believe). Bigger screen would be nice.
...or even on DS (clearly I prefer a portable of some kind :wink: ).

@BoneSnapDeez
Yes, I see them :) . Hoping you don't get sick of blogging about your niche games (as I lose momentum way too easy in my own attempts). I'll watch and read with interest.
...just another lost soul...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Snagged a few games today...

Also got Lutter (disk and case only), but that's one of many games I can't find artwork for.

Volleyball was released in North America and Europe as a "black label" NES game.

Nazo no Murasame-Jou contained some extra label stickers in the instruction manual, which is interesting.

Anyway... how's your FDS gaming going, folks?
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Still waiting to get my Famicom back from getting A/V modded, and have a RAM cartridge on the way to complete my FDS set, so hopefully I'll get to experiencing the FDS library soon. My one sole FDS game is Otocky, which I got not too long ago, and I am very eager to play it. I'll be taking note of recommendations. Having some regrets for not splurging for the Fami Twin instead of individual units and having to deal with A/V mod.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

Post by FerretGamer »

Bone, do you have any recommendations for games with minimal Japanese required?

Also, the long term reliability of the hard ware and software. I've heard it's not great, is that true?

I'm already hopelessly addicted to importing Fami carts so collecting FDS seems like a no brainer. It also gives me an excuse to use the adorable and gorgeous Famicom instead of my Retron for Fami carts.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Ugh. Reading this kinda makes me want to get an AV Fami again and an FDSStick... but honestly, I have an Everdrive that'll do the FDS stuff, so I dunno what the appeal of an FDSStick would be for me (and since I'm already questioning optical discs and trying to move away from them, I dunno if I want to get into more fragile stuff).
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

I need to change the belt on my Twin Fami and I don't have my regular Famicom console system available at the moment. Some of my stuff is currently in storage.

So to play the Disk games I thought to attach the Ram Adapter unit of my FDS to the cart port of the Twin Fami.

Fortunately everything seems to work fine.

I have a bunch of Famiclones lying around. I wonder whether the FDS might also work on those.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"