The Super Mario Maker Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: The Super Mario Maker Thread

Post by Ziggy »

Ah, c'mon, no one here is playing Mario Maker anymore? :(

Today is the 1 year anniversary of the NA launch!

I was tweaking some of my levels last night. I think I'm gonna tweak some more today, and maybe try to make a new level.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I still need to get it...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xeogred wrote:I still need to get it...

Pshhh, you should have my brother's copy. I bought it for him last Christmas and he still hasn't tried it yet.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Just uploaded an update to one of my levels...

Amiibo Costume Fiesta! (v2) - 90ED-0000-029B-B4F8

If anyone is still playing...

It's mostly cosmetic updates. Now that keys exist, I made the boss battle mandatory. I also added red coins to unlock a hidden secret (it's just another Amiibo Costume).
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So, uh, 3DS version announced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uCeiJ0dwk

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Make ... YCNQPZTEC5

No mystery mushroom, and not every level on the Wii U version will be compatible with the 3DS version. You can share levels via local wireless and Street Pass, and something vague about "collaboration" built levels.

Collaboration is something I wish the Wii U version had. Apparently you can't upload a level that you have downloaded. So there's no way for me to upload a level, then have a friend add to it and re-upload it, rinse and repeat.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I kinda want but it's annoying that they did that limitation on it. Especially considering the amiibo nfc adapter and the N3DS that has nfc built in. I have to admit big N makes some really questionable decisions when doing these conversions. Some are wonderful but these are just bizarre to me since it would've been a perfect moment to make a good cross-plat game if they really wanted too...

i really want to play some more of it but man just seeing some of the levels posted on gamegrumps(I don't know why I'm still watching that channel besides the animated stuff) that's brutal.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ziggy587 wrote:So, uh, 3DS version announced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3uCeiJ0dwk

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Make ... YCNQPZTEC5

No mystery mushroom, and not every level on the Wii U version will be compatible with the 3DS version. You can share levels via local wireless and Street Pass, and something vague about "collaboration" built levels.

Collaboration is something I wish the Wii U version had. Apparently you can't upload a level that you have downloaded. So there's no way for me to upload a level, then have a friend add to it and re-upload it, rinse and repeat.
I'm gonna be picking this up. I really liked the creation aspect of mario maker and sharing levels with friends. This makes creating easy and portable. Losing online really isn't a big blow to me, most times the 100 mario challenge lead me through the worst levels I could find.

Not being able to reupload a download level was actually a smart move in the wii u version I thought.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

strangenova wrote:Not being able to reupload a download level was actually a smart move in the wii u version I thought.

Yes, it was smart in that people couldn't rip off your levels. But they should have had some kind of share or collaboration system. For example, instead of uploading it for the world to play, you should be able to upload a level that only a friend can access. That friend has full control of the level, and can edit and re-upload it.

I would absolutely LOVE to do collaborative levels with other people.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

New level!

Mario SMASH !! - 310A-0000-035D-BF6E

Total gimmick, but sometimes it's fun to just smash the hell out of everything!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ziggy587 wrote:Just uploaded an update to one of my levels...

Amiibo Costume Fiesta! (v2) - 90ED-0000-029B-B4F8

It's mostly cosmetic updates. Now that keys exist, I made the boss battle mandatory. I also added red coins to unlock a hidden secret (it's just another Amiibo Costume).

Nintendo deleted this level. No one starred it, and looking at my notifications only 4 or 6 people even played it! It's a shame that if you want to build "normal" levels you have to accept that you wont get any stars, and not even a lot of plays. What motivation do I have to build "normal" levels if no one is gonna play them? If it weren't for this thread, I bet a lot of my levels wouldn't have gotten many plays/stars.

Rube Goldberg levels get stars and plays, people don't care to star anything else! Even my auto play level, which isn't a Rube Goldberg machine, didn't get a lot of stars (relative to Rube Goldberg auto play levels). It's kinda bullshit. As for normal levels, it's clear that unless it's very short and very easy, most players wont even finish it. My Amiibo level was long, as long as I could make a level. But it was (I thought, anyway) well crafted. I still have the original version uploaded, but v2 was so much better. I'm kinda pissed that it got banned. It was probably my best normal level that I made.

/rant