The Super Mario Maker Thread

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Re: The Super Mario Maker Thread

Post by TEKTORO »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Here are some tips for people in level design, because seriously, a lot of these levels are driving me nuts looking at.

1. Reward players, don't punish them - Yeah, I get it, You Wanna Be the Guy so Kaizo and all that jazz, but seriously, if you want to have players enjoy your game, reward them. Have power ups, after difficult obstacles and jumps. The only place you should be focusing on trolling a player is in a boo house. That is where they belong and people will know not to trust the environment.

2. We love symmetry - One of the big things a lot of people forget, or never notice is symmetry. When placing blocks and jumps, including some sort of symmetry, even if it is merely aesthetic it makes things more appealing to players.

3. Leave Surprises - Another great way to reward players is to leave surprises. Hidden blocks with power-ups, 1-ups etc. are a great way to make a player feel more accomplished. Don't leave surprises in a negative way like having a hidden block located at a complicated jump. Again, that makes things pointlessly difficult and not fun. Leaving lots of secrets makes players want to explore your level more and makes them enjoy it more.

4. Ease People in to it - A lot of new features are introduced into Mario Maker. Stackable enemies, different enemy power-ups etc. are all great new features that can lead to some interesting level design that freshens the Mario formula. The thing is, you can make a lot of interesting combinations in these features that people may not be used to, so ease them into it by introducing them early in the level and make them progressively more complex. Want a Piranha plant on wheels? Introduce Piranha plants, then on wheels, and then a piranha plant attached to bullet bills etc. Amp up the complexity through the level.

5. Stick to a theme - A lot of people love to just throw everything into the level and be like BOOM! MASTERPIECE! The reality is, if you pick a theme, stick to it. Underwater levels shouldn't just have a million goombas floating in the water, unless you are re-enacting the Normandy invasion with Goombas. (Wait that sounds like a great idea!). Have themes, enemies and obstacles that all gel together and keep the level consistent with those obstacles. You don't tend to see levels with Bullet bills, Fireballs, Bowser shooting Flames, Flame Wheels and Piranha Plants firing at you all at once. The reason is because that is too much. You need to stick to themes so that players can know what to expect and adapt. You ramp up the complexity with a set number of obstacles. Think of them like a color palette for art. You can do a lot more with a few select objects than with a million.

Overall, celebrate with the player and build something that they will enjoy. You aren't their nemesis, you are their friend. Don't play softball with them, but challenge them with fun ideas and solid level design and you will get stars. Sure there will be kids who LOVE the insane possibilities, but that limits the game and the community as a whole. You don't want to discourage people, you want to encourage them and show them the possibilities.

Will be getting this at midnight (thank you 24 hour store, Meijer) and can't wait to see what everyone does. I will be posting a lot here!

Good advice brah!

-Welcome newcomers, everyone has to start somewhere I got good at level design from help from some of the best check out some great levels and see how it was done. Not my fortay but it can help someone oblivious to it all.

-Also thinking outside the box, using pieces as they are not intended will set you apart from the run of the mill obvious levels being made.

-Please playtest throughly before uploading a level, hopefully they let us revise if any problems should occur.

-if you map jack, your whack unless it's a homage or re-creation that's okay I guess. Leave original creations to their respective authors, everyone will know!

-System seller for sure, however not a priority with my funds at the moment I rather get the whole setup for cheap whenever. I still have access via my bro in law, I'll tell him to buy it he's got more money than me anyways. Lol

Great move by Nintendo for making this happen it's literally a dream come true for many.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Should be getting the game tomorrow... :D
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Luke wrote:You.

Yes you.

Got an idea for ya...

Play Super Mario Brothers instead.

------

Is this game worth getting a new console as well?

I personally don't think so, unless it is something that is the tipping point for you as there are some excellent games on the system. I was an early adopter of the system and loved it. I don't see Mario Maker as a big system seller for me, but that doesn't mean it isn't one for someone else.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Also, Mario Maker is only the first game for the fall-ish season on Wii U. Several other titles of note are coming out right after it.

I don't even have anything left to say about this game. I've talked about it for the last two years :p
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Imagine making a Mario game of all water levels, progressing through each style (like two levels for each = an 8 level game).

Are any of the Amibo unlockables going to end up being exclusive to the amibo or can you buy them in-game (or unlock) separately?
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

retrosportsgamer wrote:Imagine making a Mario game of all water levels, progressing through each style (like two levels for each = an 8 level game).

Are any of the Amibo unlockables going to end up being exclusive to the amibo or can you buy them in-game (or unlock) separately?

That's what I didn't like about Disney Infinity 2.0, you had to buy all those toys to unlock items to create, although I think you can play more than you ever will to obtain it?

Put an editor in your game give us the tools from the start!.. Far Cry 2 nailed this, Far Cry 4 they just weren't ready to take advantage of the PS4's power it was extremely unfinished by that aspect.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

It really could be worth getting a new console for. But there's been plenty of Nintendo exclusives that merit the purchase of a Wii U for.

I need to go preorder this soon.

I am curious if there will ever be a feature where you can create a zone that where the levels all match a similar theme. Like Mario 3 for example, that's one of the best in my opinion. So a series of levels that could match a theme would be great!
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Blu wrote:I am curious if there will ever be a feature where you can create a zone that where the levels all match a similar theme. Like Mario 3 for example, that's one of the best in my opinion. So a series of levels that could match a theme would be great!

Good thought, you can however create a series of levels for multiple download to make a full Mario game. There's gotta be a budget plus taking performance in to account.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Blu wrote:I am curious if there will ever be a feature where you can create a zone that where the levels all match a similar theme. Like Mario 3 for example, that's one of the best in my opinion. So a series of levels that could match a theme would be great!

Sadly you can't lump them together, but you CAN give it a title that does contain World-Level like 2-1, 2-4 etc.

Any particular style you guys are looking forward to play around with? I am actually excited the most about playing in the New Super Mario Bros. Style. I really think you can incorporate some great platforming elements with the wall jump, the yoshi boost and the little spin jump to elongate your distance. Lots of potential.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Any particular style you guys are looking forward to play around with?

No, none in particular. I'm looking forward to everything. The New SMB style will probably be a lot of fun to design levels for though. Like you said about wall jumps, there's a lot you can with that. Secret areas and whatnot.

One thing I'm wondering is what the physics will feel like. SMB1, World, and New SMB all have their own VERY different feeling physics. When you switch the art style, do the physics change as well? For example, it would feel really odd playing with the 8-bit SMB1 visuals but with Super Mario World physics. Or any combination of the four games.

I said it before, but I REALLY want USB mouse support.