NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

A Low Cost Amibo Alternative?

by GSZX1337 Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Gosh-golly-geeze, those Amibo figures sure are coo, but holy crap are they expensive at 10+ dollars per figure. If only there was a lower cost series of Nintendo figures.

Enter the World of Nintendo figures, a series of small semi-posable statues by Jakks Pacific. I've been noticing these things sitting in the little impulse buy sections of the Wal-Mart checkout lines the last few times I've gone, and eventually bought some. I decided to buy them because I don't have a Wii U or New 3DS and therefore have no use for the NFC functionality. These statues are about 2.5 inches tall and feel pretty. I have a picture of Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi.

I did a little searching around and found a reddit wiki list of characters available in this line of figures: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfNintend ... 2.5_inches Some characters that may be of interest to my fellow RB members include: Olimar, Toon Link (no regular Link yet :?), and Cranky Kong.

A small, cherry-picked assortment of Nintendo characters are represented here sure, but what about non-Nintendo characters? Well, that's where I'm afraid I've failed. The only non-Nintendo characters I've found in a similar format are a group of Sonic the Hedgehog figures produced for Toys R Us on Amazon. These classic Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, and Super Sonic figures look good.

Anyone else here have any of these figures? Anyone want them now?

EDIT: I have received the Sonic figures and can honestly say THESE ARE AWFUL! They're made out of soft, cheap plastic, cannot stand properly (there are no stands for these figures), Sonic and Super Sonic did not have their noses painted (they were peach like his face), and Knuckles' right foot keeps falling off. I will post some pictures soon. I have found out however that THESE ARE BOOTLEG FIGURES.

Apparently, the legitimate figures are quite nice going by this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHPs-io4wY
I've ordered another set of Sonic figures that I think are the correct ones. They're set to arrive in the next few days and if they're the real deal I'll update this post on my impressions of them.
Last edited by GSZX1337 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: A Low Cost Amibo Alternative?

by casterofdreams Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Not to hijack the thread here but you bring up a question I wanted to ask: of all those Amiibo figures sold thus far and the massive shortage that has taken hold of the whole thing how many actually use the Amiibo's for the NFC features?

Other than that this is a neat find for those who like the idea but not the cost. I used to collect small Pokemon figures years ago. Same sort of sizes too.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm

I've got Tetra, Olimar, Toon Link and Fire Mario. They're nice little figures for the price. Was quite surprised to see a couple of them in the checkout lines at Walmart :lol:
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:04 am

I need to take measurements of the piranha plant one and see if I can use it in miniature gaming. From the reddit list, looks like Shy Guy, 8bit series, and Chain Chomps are all no brainer buys for me.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:51 am

These are kind of cool. I have the smaller versions of DK and Diddy Kong which Target clearanced out for like 90-cents each. I also recently picked up the larger Diddy Kong, hand placement is very unfortunate though and probably not suitable for work, and Samus as Target had them down to less then $2.50 each. I'd love to find Olimar and Pikmin ones in any size though.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Silver, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

by Cronozilla Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:11 am

There's been a ton of Nintendo themed figure lines.

There's also those Super Mario Minifigures. I have a few of those (they seem to be somewhat nicer looking than some of the World of Nintendo figures).

Personally, my favorites are those ones by Medicom, the Ultra Detail line. They made some classic style figures, and some modern style ones.

The Link, in particular is awesome:

They're imports, though, so getting them cheaper than amiibo is unlikely.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:43 am

jmbarnes101 wrote:I'd love to find Olimar and Pikmin ones in any size though.

I got the smaller Olimar at Walmart. If you go in and just quickly browse the checkout lanes you might see a small display of World of Nintendo figures sitting on the shelf.

They also sell the smaller WoN figures and the plushes at Walgreens, so you might get lucky there.
dogman91
128-bit

by dogman91 Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:34 am

and of course, if you want a low-cost solution to using the Amiibos' functionality and don't care about the figures... http://www.amiiqo.com/
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Sorry I haven't been updating this thread. It's kinda hard to maintain a thread when you only have a little bit of time to give to the forum and your memory of it is pretty bad. :lol:

casterofdreams wrote:Not to hijack the thread here but you bring up a question I wanted to ask: of all those Amiibo figures sold thus far and the massive shortage that has taken hold of the whole thing how many actually use the Amiibo's for the NFC features?

Considering these are Nintendo collectibles and that their compatible with several games per figure, I'd imagine most Amiibo owners use their NFC features.

casterofdreams wrote:Other than that this is a neat find for those who like the idea but not the cost. I used to collect small Pokemon figures years ago. Same sort of sizes too.

I found some of those while shopping around and I thought I'd mention those in my first post.

fastbilly1 wrote:I need to take measurements of the piranha plant one and see if I can use it in miniature gaming.

What? Did Piranha Plants somehow make it into WarHammer? :lol:

From the reddit list, looks like Shy Guy, 8bit series, and Chain Chomps are all no brainer buys for me.

Same here. Especially Shy Guy.

jmbarnes101 wrote:These are kind of cool. I have the smaller versions of DK and Diddy Kong which Target clearanced out for like 90-cents each. . . .and Samus as Target had them down to less then $2.50 each.

Man, I wish I could've found them for that cheap. I paid $4.50 each for Donkey and Diddy Kong. :x I also wish I could find Samus.

I'd love to find Olimar and Pikmin ones in any size though.

Like the others have said, I've found both Olimar and Pikmin in the checkout lanes at Walmart. If you can't find them at your Walmart, I'd be willing to trade you for Samus. ;)

Michi wrote:
jmbarnes101 wrote:I'd love to find Olimar and Pikmin ones in any size though.

I got the smaller Olimar at Walmart. If you go in and just quickly browse the checkout lanes you might see a small display of World of Nintendo figures sitting on the shelf.

They also sell the smaller WoN figures and the plushes at Walgreens, so you might get lucky there.

I found Wario at Walgreen's.

dogman91 wrote:and of course, if you want a low-cost solution to using the Amiibos' functionality and don't care about the figures... http://www.amiiqo.com/

So does this thing have Amiibo data stored in it (or can have it downloaded to it from another source) or does it just back up Amiibo data from the figures?
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:36 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:The only non-Nintendo characters I've found in a similar format are a group of Sonic the Hedgehog figures produced for Toys R Us on Amazon. These classic Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, Metal Sonic, and Super Sonic figures look good, but I cannot confirm this since they haven't arrived to me yet and aren't scheduled to for another month.

I bought a few Sonic figures during the 20th anniversary promotion. I own Knuckles and Tails specifically. I think they seem a bit cheap to me. The joints in particular seem extra delicate. It took three tries to get knuckles to stand up on my book shelf without leaning on any books. The weak knee joints under a big head don't do him any favors.
Return to Nintendo