NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Mega Man vs Rockman, which to buy?

by Gunstar Green Fri May 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Are there different versions of MM 1? I have a complete copy but I remember reading somewhere that there were different print runs

There are maybe 3, possibly more due to minor box variants that fixed typos. If you have the box with the blue Captain Commando Sticker on the front and the "Dr. Wright" typo on the back you have one of the older ones.

As for cartridges there's the 5 screw which is really rare, there aren't many known carts. It's theorized these were part of the first run while Nintendo was transitioning to 3-screw and they were just surplus 5-screw cartridges they needed to use up since there are too few of them in circulation for there to have been a large run of 5-screw cartridges.

Other than that there's the 3 screw with a circular Nintendo seal and the 3 screw with the oval Nintendo seal.

As far as I know there's no revision to the software itself between prints.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat May 16, 2015 8:55 pm

There's some good arguments for getting the Rockman versions, but for me, I try to shy away from import titles unless the import is sought after (generally, not things released where I live) or the console is region free. I always worry about the possibility of having to sell down the line, and I'd rather not have to let it sit on eBay the way imports of games released here tend too.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sat May 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:There's some good arguments for getting the Rockman versions, but for me, I try to shy away from import titles unless the import is sought after (generally, not things released where I live) or the console is region free. I always worry about the possibility of having to sell down the line, and I'd rather not have to let it sit on eBay the way imports of games released here tend too.

I typically get imports for two main reasons:

!) Never released over here
2)Was changed or censored on localization, which is more of an issue with older games than modern ones. For me, a stripped down version of a game is a lesser version. This definitely applies to a number of NES/SNES games as Nintendo was so lame back then.

Gunstar Green wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Are there different versions of MM 1? I have a complete copy but I remember reading somewhere that there were different print runs

There are maybe 3, possibly more due to minor box variants that fixed typos. If you have the box with the blue Captain Commando Sticker on the front and the "Dr. Wright" typo on the back you have one of the older ones.

As for cartridges there's the 5 screw which is really rare, there aren't many known carts. It's theorized these were part of the first run while Nintendo was transitioning to 3-screw and they were just surplus 5-screw cartridges they needed to use up since there are too few of them in circulation for there to have been a large run of 5-screw cartridges.

Other than that there's the 3 screw with a circular Nintendo seal and the 3 screw with the oval Nintendo seal.

As far as I know there's no revision to the software itself between prints.

Interesting, the box for my copy looks like this:

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat May 16, 2015 9:54 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I typically get imports for two main reasons:

2)Was changed or censored on localization, which is more of an issue with older games than modern ones. For me, a stripped down version of a game is a lesser version. This definitely applies to a number of NES/SNES games as Nintendo was so lame back then.

Did this a few times myself. The most notable to me were Capcom pulling their childish antics with a pair of GBA games -- Final Fight One and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo X(whatever it is called.) FFOne was an insult, they set the advancement of non-censorship back to 1991 removing all the blood, all the women, and all the censored text were brought back too. I was pissed. I waited on it, paid up and bought the JP release. The same was similar with SSF2 but they also willfully released it with game breaking bugs both in the NA and EU regions where doing something fairly easy (getting Akuma to pop up) breaks the game scoring jacking up unlocks and other stuff, and glitches out some character data too.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat May 16, 2015 11:06 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
I typically get imports for two main reasons:

I hadn't actually thought of censored versions. I can't personally think of too many games I would want that where the censorship is really an issue (Mother 2 would be one, maybe some others) but stuff like the removal of blood, or religious symbols, or covering of boobs won't bother me too much.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat May 16, 2015 11:15 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I always worry about the possibility of having to sell down the line, and I'd rather not have to let it sit on eBay the way imports of games released here tend too.

I dunno, in my experience, "Ships from US" will have buyers jumping at import games on eBay since it's so much less of a hassle than ordering from Japan. I guess it depends on the game though.

I tend to get imports for the same reasons Gamerforlife already stated, though I do own a few that are just absurdly expensive domestically, Hagane being the prime example.

Gamerforlife wrote:
Interesting, the box for my copy looks like this

This is what the first run looks like, the notice the blue sticker at the bottom. Also notice the earlier round Nintendo seal.

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sun May 17, 2015 12:48 am

Gunstar Green wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I always worry about the possibility of having to sell down the line, and I'd rather not have to let it sit on eBay the way imports of games released here tend too.

I dunno, in my experience, "Ships from US" will have buyers jumping at import games on eBay since it's so much less of a hassle than ordering from Japan. I guess it depends on the game though.

In my experience, if the game is something already available in the US, say, Earthbound or a Megaman game, the majority would rather pay for the US version because of English text, and the fact that they are many new and inexperienced people who don't know they can play import games on their machine.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Yeah, RPG's are pretty much a definite no-go with US buyers for obvious reasons.
Return to Nintendo