Actually going to try for complete licensed NES set

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Re: Actually going to try for complete licensed NES set

Post by KalessinDB »

Alright, so, update/clarification time:

Did some googling, came up with a generally accepted list of distinct titles as 677 licensed games. NintendoAge counts it, it's derived from a list that used to be on Nintendo's own site with some very minor changes, etc etc. Close as you come to an "official" list of licensed titles. This does include Stadium Events (so I will likely never have the full 677 but we'll see), as well as counting Punch-Out!! as different from Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, because both games do have semi-significant programming changes. It's not including minor revisions or label variants. I personally will hang on to a label variant if I find it, but won't go out of my way to collect them (nor screw variants). I think I have the major label variants already - Metroid yellow label and Zelda 1/2 gray carts, though I don't have Blades of Steel red label (I don't have either Blades of Steel actually).

I do intend on also getting the Tengen carts and the other "major" unlicensed games, but they're significantly lower on the list, especially Action 52, Maxi 15, Caltron 6, and the Panesian games. If I'm going to be dropping that much money, I'd rather drop it on Little Samson or Dino Peak, those are at least kinda fun games and not 100% showpieces. I actually have a good chunk of the Tengen carts already, notably someone from here got me Tengen Tetris a while back which I'm pretty sure is the most expensive of the lot. I also have 2 of the 3 AGC games (Chiller and Death Race) so I really feel compelled to pick up the third, because those games are hilarious. Pirate games (which includes Sachen in my eyes), games that came out significantly after the NES's lifetime, that's a no-thanks for me unless they just kinda show up in lots.

As to "help out"... well... http://rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?name=KalessinDB&folder=Collection&type= is my current collection (sans about 10 games I have en route from last week's purchases, I tend to mark them in once I have them in hand and cleaned up), anything you guys are willing to let go, especially the common carts, I'm happy to acquire. If y'all flood me, I may have to pace myself, but I'm very interested. When I get down to sub-100 games I might start sending people on flea market/game store hunts since even game stores tend to be a touch cheaper than ebay, but that's a ways off.

And yes, I'm well aware of the cost of Snow Bros, Bubble Bobble Part 2, Surprise at Dino Peak, Little Samson... like I say, the number of games that hit that level are way lower than SNES, I think it's doable.

Other than Stadium Events. F that noise :lol:

Except for the fact that I know once I have 676/677 I'm going to "need" it because I know my own mentality :|
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:NES variants are numerous. I think Atari is even nuttier though - text labels, picture labels, blue labels, red labels, misprinted labels, and so on.

You mean like the Golf cartridge I have that had a black sticker over the "Use with Paddle Controllers" text on it? The game doesn't use paddles! This is what I did to that black sticker pver 25 years ago -

But yeah, stick with 1 game, doesn't matter the seal of quality or the screws or whatever. That's just for RF Generation :lol:
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I always go for the Atari variants with art over the ones that are just text because look at that art! Glorious.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Gunstar Green wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I will probably just get a clearly marked repro when I get to that point. I plan on doing the same thing for the World Championship cartriges.

I think that's a good move. World Championship wasn't a retail game and you can debate Stadium Events due to the recall.

That still leaves some doozies like Little Samson but at least they're not tens of thousands of dollars doozies.

Once he's got everything but World Championship I plan to invite him to my house so he can bask in its warm glowing warming glow.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

MrPopo wrote:Once he's got everything but World Championship I plan to invite him to my house so he can bask in its warm glowing warming glow.

Better keep a close eye on him while he is there :lol:
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Also yes, I will likely get a repro cart of World Championship and/or Campus Challenge because why not? Those are only kinda "licensed" and were never available at retail... but they're kinda cool and if I'm actually trying to eschew flash carts (despite owning and loving them, in my mind they're mostly for translations and homebrew) I might as well pick those up repro.

Probably wouldn't bother with repro Stadium Events though. That's called World Class Track Meet :lol:
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

Sadly, your about 3 years too late for doing this at anywhere near a decent price. $300 for a crappy Panic Restaurant game? Gimmie a break nutjobs...
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

What about PAL variants? I have a copy of Probotector (read: PAL Contra) you can have if you like.
Weekend shmupper
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:Once he's got everything but World Championship I plan to invite him to my house so he can bask in its warm glowing warming glow.

:lol:

I hope you don't mind if I take my shirt off...
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Nyukki wrote:What about PAL variants? I have a copy of Probotector (read: PAL Contra) you can have if you like.

Appreciate the offer, but right now I'm looking for NTSC-U only. I might consider PAL for some of the exclusives eventually, but one step at a time you know? :)

Purkeynator wrote:Sadly, your about 3 years too late for doing this at anywhere near a decent price. $300 for a crappy Panic Restaurant game? Gimmie a break nutjobs...

Supply and Demand. Eventually the bubble is likely to burst as more and more people realize some of the expensive games aren't really that good. I'm not looking to be done by 2016 or anything, this is just a focus. Let's see if I can get 90% before I worry about the Grail-tier games.

Also, Google Doc of what I've got. Bolded games are owned (at least until I figure out a better way to do it). I think it's a bit easier to read than RFGeneration with all their label variant additions and whatnot.