NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Nintendo of Europe releasing boxed download codes for 3DS

by ZeroAX Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:51 pm

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/1 ... _in_europe

Nintendo is basically releasing download cards for eshop exclusives in a collector's item form. Honestly I find this an amazing idea, since as a video game collector it just feels much better to have a box to show off, and as the article mentioned, it increases the exposure of the e-shop to the general public, which is great for indies.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo of Europe releasing boxed download codes for 3D

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

So it's the normal 3DS box but instead of a game card it has a download code? I guess that's a neat idea. I got kinda excited for a second and thought they were doing a physical PLUS digital thing.

My Sale Thread - 7% off all marked prices!! SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

there's been stuff like this for consoles - Terraria, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Far Cry Blood Dragon, etc.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:42 pm

This makes me sad, as it's the first real, decisive step from Nintendo towards drawing the consumer away from a physical cartridge. We all know that's the way things are going, and this an interesting 'bridge the divide' kind of solution. Actually, this is the second step. The first way limiting retail availability and keeping such a small amount of retail shelf space that it simply isn't feasible to stock all but the most 'popular' releases.

...but even though I'm sad on one hand, I've got Steam/GoG/eShop/PSN libraries and haven't had any problem embracing the digital world. It's just weird to actually notice and be aware of the death bells quietly tolling in the periphery. No it's not going to happen tomorrow, but yes, this is a test of the emergency public broadcast system.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 pm

All I can say is, while I like digital media just fine, I don't want to see physical media go away anytime soon. That's why I vastly limit my digital purchases.

This is interesting though. The one 3DS game that I bought digitally, I ended up going on eBay and getting the case and manual for the game. I just couldn't stand not having it on the shelf with the rest of the 3DS games. :lol:

My Sale Thread - 7% off all marked prices!! SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Meh, I don't see the collectable value in it, especially since there is no physical copy of the game in the box. With the cost of shipping the "empty" boxes to the store and merchandising the product competing with physical games for store shelf space, this is really ironic.

I could never figure out the concept of driving to the store just to buy a download card when the download and purchase can all be done right on the Console or PC. Agree with other statements, the physical game is definitely the collectable.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:22 pm

I live in Australia and the one upside, game wise, is we tend to get physical releases of digital only games.

Such as Infamous: First Light, etc.

But the game case with a code thing is so useless, unless it is on sale and cheaper, just skip it, spare case might be useful if you buy second hand games often.
Return to Nintendo