NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Opa Opa
 

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by Opa Opa Sat May 30, 2015 10:47 am

Some thoughts...

The good:
-Virtually no down-time between matches
-The perks really enhance the player and somewhat make up for your skill deficiencies.
-I don't outright hate any map.
-Connection issues are few and far between
-"Staaaaaaay fresh!" (yep, listing it under "the good" :lol: )
-final boss fight was enjoyable

The bad:
-Stuck with one mode currently
-Map rotation needs to just cycle through all the maps- not the "two every four hours" we are currently stuck with; only five maps at launch.
-No way to change weapons in-match or in-lobby. You have to exit a lobby to change your loadout. I have no clue how this would impact playing with friends. Would you have to set up new lobbies every time you wanted to switch a weapon?
-I don't dislike metal but the metal song they play sucks. It's just someone screaming with the occasional guitar riff. Other tracks are fine though.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by alienjesus Sat May 30, 2015 12:38 pm

Opa Opa wrote:Some thoughts...

The good:
-Virtually no down-time between matches
-The perks really enhance the player and somewhat make up for your skill deficiencies.
-I don't outright hate any map.
-Connection issues are few and far between
-"Staaaaaaay fresh!" (yep, listing it under "the good" :lol: )
-final boss fight was enjoyable

The bad:
-Stuck with one mode currently
-Map rotation needs to just cycle through all the maps- not the "two every four hours" we are currently stuck with; only five maps at launch.
-No way to change weapons in-match or in-lobby. You have to exit a lobby to change your loadout. I have no clue how this would impact playing with friends. Would you have to set up new lobbies every time you wanted to switch a weapon?
-I don't dislike metal but the metal song they play sucks. It's just someone screaming with the occasional guitar riff. Other tracks are fine though.



I agree on pretty much all of this. I can't think what metal song you're referring too.

The map rotation thing would be fine if it was more frequent. 1 hour would be more than enough time to be playing the same 2 maps continuously if they really want to keep the idea of customising weapons to map selections.

I just finished the single player, it was pretty good. Although it is very short, I'm quite glad - it's just about right to keep it interesting in my opinion.

I'm rank 10 on multiplayer now. My weapons of choice are the Splattershot Jr. or the Blaster in general so far.

Yet to play any of the Amiibo challenges.
Image
m0ondogy
Newbie
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:41 am

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by m0ondogy Sun May 31, 2015 2:24 am

I'm enjoying it.

I quite like the over all style of the game. Its got that weird Japanese thing going on for it. A lot like the the Jet Set Sega games.

I particularly like the short bite sized games. I know its not unheard of, but the length of each game allows for a nice ebb and flow of map control before the match gets stale.

My biggest complaint would be the map rotation frequency. Its just not enough. The lack of online split screen. I have a Pro controller, Id love for a friend to play too.

The only thing that needs to change is the lack of mid-game load out change. Sometimes Id like to change from my splatershot to something else.

...

Yes, Opa, that one song. WTF is up with that. Every song is sort of punky in nature with a semi natural sound scape. Then.....then, there is this one metal song in the mix with a guy occasional growling like Worf's mating calls from those random TNG episodes.
Opa Opa
 

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by Opa Opa Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:38 am

A few random thoughts:

-Lag is kind of weird in this game. It rarely happens but it can lead to some strange events. Paint coverage is delayed, players become invisible/invincible... Actually, I killed one guy and then five or six seconds later I randomly explode supposedly killed by the person I just splatted.

-Rollers are pretty well... I don't want to say "useless" but their effectiveness has decreased significantly. Being able to shoot opens so many opportunities.

-Screw mines.

-I've found the paint wall thingamajig to be quite useful. It is an instant invincible barrier that works quite well for defense.

-Why do people use the Kraken special? Unless you're taken off-guard it is easy to avoid.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by alienjesus Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:41 am

Opa Opa wrote:A few random thoughts:

-Lag is kind of weird in this game. It rarely happens but it can lead to some strange events. Paint coverage is delayed, players become invisible/invincible... Actually, I killed one guy and then five or six seconds later I randomly explode supposedly killed by the person I just splatted.

-Rollers are pretty well... I don't want to say "useless" but their effectiveness has decreased significantly. Being able to shoot opens so many opportunities.

-Screw mines.

-I've found the paint wall thingamajig to be quite useful. It is an instant invincible barrier that works quite well for defense.

-Why do people use the Kraken special? Unless you're taken off-guard it is easy to avoid.


I've encountered the lag issue a few times, but normally right before I've disconnected, which is definitely the fault of my internet connection rather than the server.

Rollers are OK, I find the short range guns fit me best. The Splattershot Jr. and Blaster are my current weapons of choice.

I've not encountered any mines yet.

I've found the paint wall pretty useless myself, but I'm sure I'm just not using it well.

The Kraken special makes you invincible. This is more than enough reason to use it imo. It's one of my favourites, although I find the Bubbler to be the far superior option. I prefer the defensive supers myself. The bomb rush is the worst super imo, especially if it's burst bombs.


Anyway, a new Nintendo Direct announced that a new map and a new weapon are being released tonight (the weapon is an NES Zapper) and that ranked mode will be opening too.
Image
User avatar
jay_red
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:05 am

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by jay_red Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Picked this up on friday and spent the whole weekend playing on and off. I was able to get leveled up to 11 as of last night.

Thoughts:
Very addictive, even with just the one mode currently. This game is a huge change for me, as I have not played an online shooter since Halo 3 / COD: Modern Warfare (the first one).

When the lobbys are working and no glitches, getting into a game is super fast, but I have had a few times where it just sits there searching for like 2 more players, counting down...and down....then the counter resets and there is more waiting. I have not found a way to get out of this short of restarting the console.

When I first started I thought the Roller would be the best, and so did a lot of low level players, once I tried it I hated it and went right back to the splatter shot. I noticed most of the higher level players dont use the roller either, though I like to have one on the team for massive ink coverage.

It needs to cycle all the maps, not just the 2. A lot of the time I play the same map like 3 times in a row. I enjoy all of them though, different ones offer different coverage strategies.

On a couple reviews I saw, they were very vocal about the Squid Sisters segments, and how they were annoyed that they were not skippable, but honestly, they last like 10 seconds if you power through the text and are not as big of a deal as the reviews made it seem.

Overall I am loving the game, and hope they support the game with awesome DLC like they did with Mario Kart 8. A question for you guys, I have not been able to figure out how you are scored at the end of a match, I will play a match with no deaths, and a few kills, and what I think is awesome ink coverage, but I still score 2nd to last or last. Then I will play and get killed a bunch and do ok in ink but get first. What does it score you on?
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
User avatar
ZeroAX
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7471
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:20 am
Location: Current: Amsterdam. From Greece

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by ZeroAX Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I want to buy a Wii U so I can be a squid now and a kid now ^_^
Image
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
User avatar
Phades
64-bit
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:45 pm
Location: Arlington, WA

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by Phades Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:36 pm

I played it a bunch yesterday with my son. We were just trading the controller back and forth while playing online. Very little waiting time in the lobby and you get a sill little "squid jump" game to play while you wait. It has never been long enough for me to play it very much, but I like the idea.

So far think it's a lot of fun. It scratches that multiplayer shooter itch but has that Nintendo polish and charm all over it. It's great to have a multiplayer shooter that I'm not worried about my 7 year old son playing.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8371
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by alienjesus Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:26 pm

I unlocked the 3 extra 8-bit style mini games from amiibo challenges today. They're all pretty fun, but the rhythm one is surprisingly hard!
Image
User avatar
Damm64
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1592
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:49 am

Re: The Splatoon Thread

by Damm64 Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:49 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I want to buy a Wii U so I can be a squid now and a kid now ^_^


Funny how people HATE that song but you see the "Kid/Squid now" phrase/joke everywhere.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Image
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests