NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: The Bayonetta 2 Thread

by Reprise Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:54 am

I've got to agree with the others. I was personally very impressed by the visuals. They're far more lively and stunning than the original and are very good when compared to other Wii U titles. I agree, obviously it would have probably looked better on the PS4 and XBox One, but then it also would have looked even better if it was released on the PC, so...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:17 pm

I think I just really can't see a lot of the visual stuff people complain about. I'm not doubting it's there, it just doesn't register to me. Blame it on spending my entire life in glasses I guess?

Or, conversely, I guess I could take the stance of I'm looking purely at fun-factor so I don't notice things like shadows in my game? Hell, I don't think I could identify particle effects if they sat on me. I dunno. But then, when I watched my friend play the demo before I bought the game, I was blown away by the visuals then so I dunno.

Regardless, I can definitely agree with you that there's a ton of style and fun, so there's that :D
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:44 pm

dsheinem wrote:I'm waiting for a deal or for an announcement of a port elsewhere because right now I'd basically have to buy the game + the pro controller at the same time since I can't imagine playing this with the gamepad.

You do know that's never happening right?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
irixith
Next-Gen

by irixith Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:10 pm

I think the fact that my avatar has been Bayonetta since I joined this forum might signify a certain...shall we say...interest in this game? I bought a Wii U solely to play Lego City Undercover, because I'll be damned if they're going to make a Lego title that I can't play. Having Bayonetta come out as a Wii U exclusive is icing on an already pretty delicious cake. I don't know what all the fuss is over graphics -- I think Wii U games look fantastic. Bayonetta is such a fast-paced game that I'm not taking the time to appreciate every last polygon, shadow and particle. It looks freaking amazing in motion, the control is spot on, and kicking ass/taking names is just as fun as it ever was.

I can agree that to a certain extent, graphical fidelity can play into the enjoyment of a title. For example, going backwards to this month's Together Retro, the PC version of Ultima IV is pretty tough to dig after a few decades of graphical improvements. However, comparing Wii U vs. Xbox One vs. PS4 results in a big fat "so what" from me. A few more polygons here, an extra shadow there...I'm most likely not going to notice, and I'm too busy having fun playing a fun game to worry about whether or not the system I'm playing it on is as technically proficient as its competitors. It looks great, and is a blast to play. I mean the reason we all congregate on a forum dedicated to retro games is based on a shared love for gameplay...isn't it? I play games to escape, to relax, to have fun...not to count polygons and shadows and discuss the finer points of anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing. Maybe this game could have looked subjectively "better" on a different system...or maybe that focus would have resulted in the overall gameplay suffering as more resources were put into visuals. (As tends to happen with today's AAA (ugh, hate the term) style titles.)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:00 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I'm waiting for a deal or for an announcement of a port elsewhere because right now I'd basically have to buy the game + the pro controller at the same time since I can't imagine playing this with the gamepad.

Never say never.

There were Sega games on Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft consoles less than two years after the Dreamcast was released. :lol:
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:02 pm

dsheinem wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

Never say never.

There were Sega games on Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft consoles less than two years after the Dreamcast was released. :lol:

death of Nintendo predicted
mods please move to WiiU thread
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I'm willing to bet an orange euro bill we'll see Microsoft abandon/sell off the xbox before we see Nintendo give up on consoles.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:57 pm

I dunno, depends on how much of a loss Microsoft is willing to take to try to reestablish brand dominance. They had a pretty strong mindshare with the 360, and I think I liked it more overall than the PS3, although both had strong offerings.

I'm debating (internal monologue style!) whether Nintendo's going to go the traditional console route next gen or shake things up completely. It's not like Japan is clamoring for consoles right now, and that market certainly affects Nintendo's thinking, even if the raw numbers aren't there.

Actually, as much as folks might not like it, I wouldn't be surprised if their next offering isn't backwards compatible at all. Which is a good and a bad thing, I suppose.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Nintendo and Sony won't leave because of corporate pride.

Not only are video games Nintendo's main (and almost only, I think) business, but they have a long history of consoles.

For Sony the Playstation has been one of their most profitable products, and it's the one sector of the company where they are still dominant.

Think for a moment that you are a Microsoft stock holder, and you are seeing all the money Facebook, Apple and Google are making with their services/products. Then you notice your company has stopped growing and has missed out on so many great opportunities. Then you see how much money was wasted on the xbox which even in the years that is profitable makes peanuts compared to office, or the services offered by your competitors.

You are bound to think "why are we wasting resources on such a childish thing".

Nintendo made a ton of money because of its cheap hardware and great software sales, Sony made a lot of money by absolutely DOMINATING the industry (PS1 and PS2), MS just hasn't acheived the same kind of success to make this entire endeavor.

That's why I'm saying at some point the investors will get fed up and branch off the xbox into a seperate company and sell it. And mind you I think it's for the best. THe XBOX can be a very succesful brand if it stops being a trojan horse for a bunch of other MS services. And MS itself can focus that money on cloud services which can actually make them a ton of money.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:19 am

TSTR wrote:death of Nintendo predicted
mods please move to WiiU thread

Sigh.....yep
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to Nintendo