Are the Zelda games approachable?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ejamer
128-bit

Re: Are the Zelda games approachable?

Post by ejamer »

Having just played through Wind Waker for the first time a few months ago, so my perspective is pretty fresh.

The specific part mentioned took a few minutes of thought... but both characters you need to visit are pretty notable NPCs so I had no issue remembering where to go looking. (There are really only a small number of inhabited islands to search anyway though, so it doesn't seem like a wider search would've been that hard.)

My take is the game (and the series overall) is fairly well laid out - not holding your hand but giving strong hints of where to go so that you can continue to progress. I certainly wouldn't want Zelda games to be any easier. If you do get stuck, then it's easy to check a (free, conveniently available online) guide and get yourself back on track. Of course, I am the type of person who will explore and look for nooks and crannies in the world without prompting, so that likely affects my take.
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

irixith wrote:Starting the Zelda series with Wind Waker is a mistake, because it's the turning point where the franchise jumps off the rails.

I suppose I should clear up some back story. Wind Waker is my 3rd Zelda game. My first was the newest Link Between Worlds. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. Being able to enter any cave at any time was perfect for me. There was no "What do I do next?" There was only "WHat do I WANT to do next?"

I have also finished the NES original Zelda. Of course, I needed guide help with this one. Finding the silver arrow and a few dungeons specifically. Also, a copy of the over world map is invaluable.

Wind Waker is the first 3D Zelda, though. I'll try to restate my biggest problem. It encourages exploration, but only allows you to enter areas in a specific sequence. THis makes exploring feel like a chore. A Link Between Worlds also encourages exploration, but allows you to enter areas in any sequence you desire. This model makes exploration rewarding, not just a hunt for what the game wants me to do next.

In a way, it was much easier to get into the "Zelda zen" of Link Between Worlds than it has been for Wind Waker.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

GrouchoGlasses wrote:Wind Waker is my 3rd Zelda game. My first was the newest Link Between Worlds. I have also finished the NES original Zelda.

In that case you have played the two games in the series most open to free exploration. Expect most other Zelda games to be more like Wind Waker than Link Between Worlds.

That said, maybe you just prefer the 2D exploration too? It's much quicker to freely explore on the smaller and quicker to get around 2D map than it is sailign around in Wind Waker. Maybe give the Game Boy or SNES games a go.

Also, Majora's Mask could be worth a look. It's mostly exploration and sidequests - whilst the story progression is still linear, theres a lot you can find to do at any one time.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Well you started off with the best Zelda game so it's hard to go anywhere from there and liking it :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Sad thread makes me sad. Or however the meme goes.

Use your brain. Not trying to to talk down to anyone, but Zelda games don't contain the biggest brain busters out there in video game world, and I'm sure when people do look up guides they usually think "Well, I could have thought of that'.

When you get stumped, save, quit, and think.

Or use strategy/cheat guides. It's up to you. But a BIG part of the fun of playing Zelda games is figuring things out for yourself.

And Wind Waker is amazing.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Wind Waker was... alright. I mean, it's better than a lot of games, as most Zelda games are, but it's definitely not up there with my favorites from the series.

If we're going to break this up into 2D and 3D entries... I'd say Link's Awakening is my favorite, followed by A Link to the Past. They're both phenomenal. And despite my thinking A Link Between Worlds was going to be some cheap cash-in title, it turned out amazing. Really, almost all the 2D entries are good. (I even love me some Zelda II, although I recognize that is an acquired taste.)

The 3D entries get a little weirder. I think I like Twilight and Skyward the most, but the remake of Ocarina is darn good. This is coming from someone who thought the original release was good, but not mind-blowing. Majora's Mask is the only one to this day I've never finished. I've got two aborted attempts. I'm kinda hoping Nintendo will do a remake of that as well, I suspect I'd have a better time with that extra bit of polish. After all, it's amazing how much that level of shine helped the Ocarina remake.
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Shouldn't an annoying fairy (eg. Navi) keep not-so-subtly hinting where you need to go? I seem to recall that in Ocarina of Time ("I THINK WE SHOULD SPEAK TO SARIA!" and "Gee... something tells me we should head over to Lake Hylia" or something like that)

Also, as a random aside, I think I'd prefer games keep a trend of not knowing where to go versus an extremely linear obstacle course with specific on-screen instructions (and QTE..)
Flake

Post by Flake »

Sarge wrote:The 3D entries get a little weirder. I think I like Twilight and Skyward the most, but the remake of Ocarina is darn good.

We've got the same taste for the 2D titles but we diverge completely on the 3D games. I'm not saying Skyward Sword or Twilight were bad games but by the end of it I was just happy to finally be done. Wind Waker, on the other hand, is a joy to me every single play through.

What was it that Twilight and Skyward did for you that Wind Waker whiffed?
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Confession: I've beaten most of the 2D Zeldas, but I've never beaten a 3D Zelda.

It has nothing to do with how approachable they are though. I just get bored and drop them half way through then never pick them back up. I just never find the gameplay compelling enough to continue.

Wind Waker was the one I gave the best shot to probably because the visual style helped keep my interest and I enjoyed other games that borrow its style like The Minish Cap and the DS titles that everyone seems to hate.

I've also tried and tried again with Ocarina of Time in attempt to understand why it's so universally lauded but it never clicked.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

To me that wind waker art style looks best in 2d :lol: I ound myself liking minish cap way more than I would've if it'd had somehow been a 3d console zelda with same art style :oops:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?