Are the Zelda games approachable?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Are the Zelda games approachable?

Post by Sarge »

Flake wrote:
We've got the same taste for the 2D titles but we diverge completely on the 3D games. I'm not saying Skyward Sword or Twilight were bad games but by the end of it I was just happy to finally be done. Wind Waker, on the other hand, is a joy to me every single play through.

What was it that Twilight and Skyward did for you that Wind Waker whiffed?

I think it was mostly dungeons. The overworld segments have never been a huge draw for me, and the sailing bits were, at least for me, a worse version of that. It's been a while since I went through Twilight, but I remember there being a few more dungeons, and it was significantly longer to boot. And Skyward, effectively, was almost all dungeon, it just happened that most of the overworld segments were mini-dungeons as well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed Wind Waker. There are very few Zelda games that I don't enjoy. It's just not up toward the top for me, but I can also see why some folks cotton to it!
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

If you're a fan of Zelda games, pick up Hyrule Warriors. Its awesomeness! :mrgreen:
WallCrusher
32-bit

Post by WallCrusher »

Sarge wrote:
Flake wrote:
We've got the same taste for the 2D titles but we diverge completely on the 3D games. I'm not saying Skyward Sword or Twilight were bad games but by the end of it I was just happy to finally be done. Wind Waker, on the other hand, is a joy to me every single play through.

What was it that Twilight and Skyward did for you that Wind Waker whiffed?

I think it was mostly dungeons. The overworld segments have never been a huge draw for me, and the sailing bits were, at least for me, a worse version of that. It's been a while since I went through Twilight, but I remember there being a few more dungeons, and it was significantly longer to boot. And Skyward, effectively, was almost all dungeon, it just happened that most of the overworld segments were mini-dungeons as well.

Now, don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed Wind Waker. There are very few Zelda games that I don't enjoy. It's just not up toward the top for me, but I can also see why some folks cotton to it!

If you enjoyed dungeons then I could see how you would prefer TP and SS over TWW. TWW seems to focus more on exploration, with the vastness of the Great Sea and how the majority of it is totally optional.

I am not a particularly big of fan of TP (although I did enjoy SS) but I did think that game had some really cool dungeons. I also thought the dungeon items were pretty creative although they were woefully underutilized.
WANNA GET YOUR WALLS CRUSHED?
Flake

Post by Flake »

I'm all about the overworld. Dungeons are a tax I pay in order to get new items to explore more overworld.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Flake wrote:I'm all about the overworld. Dungeons are a tax I pay in order to get new items to explore more overworld.

Ha, well, it all makes sense then!

I'm guessing you hated Spirit Tracks, in that case.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

SKYRIM IS MY FAVORITE ZELDA GAME!

I'm only kidding.

But on a serious note, shame on me for forgetting The Minish Cap. I enjoyed the heck out of that because of the shrinking mechanic. The little details were awesome when you went from a normal sized Link in a house and then re-enter it tiny. Dungeons were good and the keystones were pretty cool. Got me talking to every NPC I could.

And it was very approachable, like the three portable Zelda games before it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm more of a dungeon man myself.

casterofdreams wrote:SKYRIM IS MY FAVORITE ZELDA GAME!

I'm only kidding.

But on a serious note, shame on me for forgetting The Minish Cap. I enjoyed the heck out of that because of the shrinking mechanic. The little details were awesome when you went from a normal sized Link in a house and then re-enter it tiny. Dungeons were good and the keystones were pretty cool. Got me talking to every NPC I could.

And it was very approachable, like the three portable Zelda games before it.

I ignored Minish Cap for a long, long time which is a shame because when I finally got around to playing the game it quickly became one of my favorites.

They keystones were interesting but if I were a 100%-er I'd probably be annoyed by them.
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Funny I recall trying to do that on mc after my initial playthrough when I was younger(got to the final boss/stage and that was good enough for me because Vatti pissed me off so much when I was younger when trying to beat him...could beat the first version but second...my lord.....), and you know what? It pissed the living crap out of me trying to get them all :lol: too bad I can't reattempt that one(legally) for now...i've found just about every zelda game in the wild-ish for a decent price except that one, wind waker, and LttP(I'm still hunting a Awakening with a working battery though...)
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

You know I really lucked out with the three GBC and Minish Cap. I got 'em all for the 3DS. Bonus Four Swords DS release.

So much Zelda goodness on one system.

Anyway I never could have 100% Minish. Maybe I should try now.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Gunstar Green wrote:They keystones were interesting but if I were a 100%-er I'd probably be annoyed by them.

HEY LINK!

#$&(*@#^ HAT HERE!

YOU'RE ABOUT TO LEAVE THIS SCREEN AND YOU'RE GOING TO MISS SOMETHING IF YOU DO! HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT KINSTONES YET? YES? ALL THE MORE REASON FOR ME TO TELL YOU ALL ABOUT KINSTONE FUSION!

WHILE WE'RE ON THE TOPIC, HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST?

I didn't think it was possible to miss any kinstones. :lol: