NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
raygank
8-bit

Mother 3: English Repro Cart or the real thing?

by raygank Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:58 am

I'm currently about half way through Earthbound and I can already tell I am going to want to play the next game in the series. It's even better than everyone says.

I also just got a Retron 5, which should let me play Mother 3 with nice scanlines on my big TV, with an SNES game pad. Seems ideal! It even has an option to apply IPS patches on the fly, so I can buy a Japanese cart and play in English.

So my choice is between buying an English repro cart and playing on EITHER the R5 or an actual GBA (good for flexibility, but bad in that I assume repro carts are poor quality and of little value collector-wise) or buying a Japanese cart and being limited to playing on the Retron 5, but it's *authentic.* Surprisingly, they're about the same price.

Or I can just say to hell with it and emulate it.

Haven't decided yet. Anybody have any thoughts on the relative merits of repro GBA carts?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Mother 3: English Repro Cart or the real thing?

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:05 am

Go with the authentic one. Yeah you won't be able to play it in English on a handheld, but you'll have a legitimately "collectible" and better quality game. It also looks fantastic on the television with the R5.

A complete game with the box and instructions is also possible to obtain if you go for authentic - impossible if you choose repro.

I would bet that a lot of people who spent phat cash on repros these last couple of years are now kicking themselves.

Lastly, I realize that the desire to play the game on a handheld is strong (I prefer handheld to console these days), but imagine you got a repro Mother 3 and then in a few years Hyperkin or some other company releases a GBA handheld clone system that allows IPS/UPS patching. Seems unlikely now, but who saw the Retron 5 coming?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:41 am

If you're looking to be cheap, just emulate the fan translated ROM like 99% of people have.

But if you have the money, crave authenticity, and are fluent in Japanese, then by all means buy the legit cart and play it on an actual GBA.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:47 am

Would the original really be better quality? The retron is going to dump the rom and emulate it, each option you listed seems like it would provide an identical in-game experience.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 am

get this http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html one of the best purchases I ever made
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:32 am

That's actually a pretty sweet price.

Though I would imagine it works, have you tried this on the GC player?
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 am

dunpeal2064 wrote:That's actually a pretty sweet price.

Though I would imagine it works, have you tried this on the GC player?

I don't have a GC player but I know people say the EZ Flash IV works perfectly with it, but now that I think about it I doubt it would work on a Retron 5 since no other flash carts do. But it is by far your best bet if you want to play the game without emulation on real hardware.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 am

ninjainspandex wrote:get this http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html one of the best purchases I ever made

What options did you select in regards to the microSD adapters? I'd probably prefer to use a 2GB micro if it's easy to get in and out of the flash drive.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 am

retrosportsgamer wrote:
ninjainspandex wrote:get this http://www.realhotstuff.com/EZ-Flash-iV_p_76.html one of the best purchases I ever made

What options did you select in regards to the microSD adapters? I'd probably prefer to use a 2GB micro if it's easy to get in and out of the flash drive.

I hear that the adapters can cause issues, just order a mini sd card, super cheap at $7 shipped for a 2GB (2GB is the maximum file limit for the ezflash IV)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-2GB-min ... 3ce7085a10
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:25 am

ninjainspandex wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:

I hear that the adapters can cause issues, just order a mini sd card, super cheap at $7 shipped for a 2GB (2GB is the maximum file limit for the ezflash IV)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-2GB-min ... 3ce7085a10

Gotcha - thanks for the help. I'm pretty intrigued by this.
Return to Nintendo