Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Re: Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

Post by ZenErik »

Exhuminator wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Nintendo is just pulling the Apple strategy, a newer model to purchase all over and over again.

At least Apple has the common sense to use a numerical naming convention for each upgraded iteration.

Not really. The New iPad. iPad Air.
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

This isn't the apple strategy, it's the Nintendo strategy and they've been at it since 1998 with the Gameboy Color. There should be no surprise here other than they did this and nothing leaked out even as a bad rumor for once.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

ZenErik wrote:Not really. The New iPad. iPad Air.

Come on man, I was talking about their primarily seller, iPhones.

Here's a Nintendo sanctioned infographic on the New 3DS:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

1- Hate hate hate HATE the new name. I swear nintendo only want to make their hardware hard to sell.

2- I just bought a regular 3DS a few months ago to play pokemon and now this.

3- After all that being said i was thinking on upgrading to a XL (this console is SMALL) but i might just wait to the "new" 3DS XL with the extra features and at the same price i could get the regular XL on my country. Now i don't undestand the second stick... it is really a second stick? Looks like a button and is tiny. How i'm gonna play RE: Revelation or KH: 3D on that?! And why the regular "new" 3DS (see how hard it is already nintendo?!) has better button colors?!
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Flake

Post by Flake »

Damm64 wrote:1- Hate hate hate HATE the new name. I swear nintendo only want to make their hardware hard to sell.

2- I just bought a regular 3DS a few months ago to play pokemon and now this.

3- After all that being said i was thinking on upgrading to a XL (this console is SMALL) but i might just wait to the "new" 3DS XL with the extra features and at the same price i could get the regular XL on my country. Now i don't undestand the second stick... it is really a second stick? Looks like a button and is tiny. How i'm gonna play RE: Revelation or KH: 3D on that?! And why the regular "new" 3DS (see how hard it is already nintendo?!) has better button colors?!

XL model is launching along side regular sized. Neither is being released outside of Japan this calender year. The name is definitely wanting.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Flake wrote:
Punished? It's video games. Buy it if you want. Don't buy it if you don't.

It's all relative obviously, but is it impossible for a company that makes products to "punish" its best customers? That is, it feels like "punishment" because it feels like I'm being asked, if I want to stay "in the loop" with Nintendo games, to shell out more money for something incrementally better that has at least one interesting exclusive, despite already buying the most expensive version of the same hardware line in the recent past. In other words, penalized for misplaced faith. Like I said, I suppose it is my fault for having said faith...but it seemed to me that the overwhelming sentiment seemed to be that Nintendo was done with 3DS revisions (and, I believe, they may have made official comments in a similar vein).

And of course Nintendo has done something similar for years, but it is the incremental nature of this particular change and its attachment to new exclusives that is irritating. The shift from the GB>GBC>GBA were all pretty substantial changes in hardware in terms of what games looked like and how they played. There were major differences. Similarly, the shift from DS>DSi was a reasonably significant shift as well in terms of connectivity. But, even if that didn't appeal to you, the few exclusive DSi games were not really interesting anyway. With the shift to XL models or GBA-SP models you didn't lose out on any games or faster processors if you didn't upgrade, you just lost out on a new way to experience the same stuff.

With this iteration, if you don't get on board you both lose a better, faster system and you lose out on what looks to be at least one interesting exclusive in a well-regarded series.

Yes, I know it is "just video games" and yes, I know this is a bit pendantic…but it is a new kind of hardware iteration for them that just rubs me the wrong way.
Last edited by dsheinem on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Any word if DS functionality is gone with the NEW 3DS XL? If they're going to do this, at least they are releasing both size models at once. Is your eShop content transferrable (can you swap cards)?

I don't understand the correlation to what they did with the GameBoy Color in 1998. That system was backwards compatible for a system that was 9 years old. How is that the same as 3DS->3DSXL->2DS->NEW 3DSXL in four years?

And yeah, man, talk about confusing the hell out of your consumer base. You'd think with the whole WiiU->Wii confusion, they'd maybe try something different than NEW 3DS XL.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Flake wrote:Punished? It's video games. Buy it if you want. Don't buy it if you don't.

That, and you don't "need" it.

Buyers remorse is fine, but no one is punishing you because you made an assumption.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Luke wrote:
Flake wrote:Punished? It's video games. Buy it if you want. Don't buy it if you don't.

That, and you don't "need" it.

Buyers remorse is fine, but no one is punishing you because you made an assumption.

punish:

[puhn-ish] verb (used with object)
1. to subject to pain, loss, confinement, death, etc., as a penalty for some offense, transgression, or fault: to punish a criminal.

I think "subject to confinement" (inability to access new content) or "loss" (in value of XL model) for committing a "fault" (trusting Nintendo) counts as punishment.

And yes, I know this is ridiculous.