Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Yet another 3DS model announced - the NEW 3DS

Post by wclem »

Maybe Nintendo should have flooded the market with millions more units than demand created. Then they could have been dumped at a loss and Nintendo takes a huge hit.

Seriously, it is not only a sound marketing device they used but the only reasonable one. Their will be more and some will even be special editions. Anyone who wants a special edition will get one in time. Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario etc. will be put on the cover as a special edition at some point.

By the way, their were plenty of red and blue systems in my area.

Not to harass anyone but Tanooki, one thing I notice about your post is that you carry a lot of negativity man. If that offends, which it is not intended to, have a mod edit these lines out. I will not take offense to it. :D
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I'm really liking the improved speed more than anything else I believe; especially for eshop downloads. It's like night and day.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

dsheinem wrote:You are painting yourself as an outsider who is just so much better than all of us, so you may as well go be better by yourself.

...but...but...can't I continue to be like that and still participate anyway, because fuck the rules? :twisted: Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I really want to get my hands on the new 3DS (plenty of stock where I am), but it's $229.99CDN ($257.59 with tax). By comparison, the Wii U has been on sale for $249.99CDN, and I've got a tough time with both of them being that close in price.

Gamestop is running the best promo with a $100 buyback on my existing 3DS XL, but that's still almost $160 out of pocket which feels like too much. Augh. Don't know. Torn. Even without the improvements, the hinge on mine is a little wonky and it would be nice to upgrade, but the price is more than I thought it would be. The 3DS XL was only $199.99CDN. :(
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm a realist, not negative, and it's the internet I'm not offended. This will probably look negative too, but I found out due to some insurance law in this state, I'm worth more dead than alive because suicide doesn't stop life insurance payments if you have had the policy for more than 2 years and a day. :)

The DSi had 4 games put to a game card that was meant ONLY for that system and would only work on it, but there were dozens of games which had utilized the beefier hardware to improve the experience. So far we have Smash Bros and that slightly tweaked Ace Combat game that both use the better guts, and once Xenoblade shows up the first unique game only meant for the system.

My experience with the system is that the screen is nicer a little, the speakers are louder and sound notably nicer when cranked all the way up. The selling point being the fixed 3D works as advertised which is very welcome. The other one being the speed is spot on as everything from the eshop to the menus, games and apps all load much speedier at a totally acceptable level not being a waiting game. I think the system also auto turns on/off the wifi as needed because there is no switch for it.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Don't forget that the DSi introduced the eShop to the DS, and there were a ton of games from there you couldn't play on the non-DSi. (Not looking for a debate about the merits/not of physical vs. downloadable.)

There are games on the current eShop that will support the new 3DS...Retro City Rampage has a big update coming to implement support for the nub and the extra beef for example.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Hey, question to all you new 3DSers who also got Majora's mask.

Are the songs similar to the N64 in terms of inputs? I'm being thrown off of my ocarina game because the inputs are different than the N64 version -- and I'm playing on an old 3DS XL. Wanted to see if the inputs are different depending on the hardware. Are yours closer to the original with the C inputs?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Tanooki wrote:I think the system also auto turns on/off the wifi as needed because there is no switch for it.

This isn't the case as this would disable streetpass and spotpass too.

The Wifi can be turned on or off in the system settings, rather than through a hardware switch. This is one of a few experience changes that bug me, along with the relocated power button, card slot and stylus, the memory card that you need a screwdriver to access and the shorter stylus. None of them are big deals, but not everything feels better on the new hardware than it used to.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Has anyone that ordered the MM edition through best buy received a a shipped confirmation yet? Mine still says preparing order...
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

jay_red wrote:Has anyone that ordered the MM edition through best buy received a a shipped confirmation yet? Mine still says preparing order...

Yes, mine has been shipped and I have a tracking number. Should be delivered Thursday. You may want to contact them, I have heard of others get their order cancelled recently as they couldnt fulfill all pre-orders...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

alienjesus wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I think the system also auto turns on/off the wifi as needed because there is no switch for it.

This isn't the case as this would disable streetpass and spotpass too.

The Wifi can be turned on or off in the system settings, rather than through a hardware switch. This is one of a few experience changes that bug me, along with the relocated power button, card slot and stylus, the memory card that you need a screwdriver to access and the shorter stylus. None of them are big deals, but not everything feels better on the new hardware than it used to.

Damn well that's one thing I don't like about it then as I never leave it on unless I need to update/eshop as I don't care for street/spot pass stuff. I'll have to go and kill that to save a little battery and have some privacy. Everything else is an improvement. The system has given me new interest to push away at the games I have that are unfinished (ultimate nes remix) or really untouched (smash bros.) I've got a few others as well that need work too. I still wish they had something out unique for the system when it arrived.