NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Betagam7 Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:41 pm

Yoshi's Island is a prequel to all of the Mario games if we're talking story line. Mario being from Brooklyn and being sucked down a warp pipe while "working on a drain" is, as far as I'm aware, an invention of the cartoon series or possibly NOA, it's not something ever mentioned in the games (where he has a totally different accent.)

Yoshi's Island is, however, told in a children's storybook fashion, which may hint at an unreliable narrator.

The Wario games directly follow the plot of Super Mario Land 2 so they aren't non canon either, unless you consder Mario's adventures in those games to be non canon.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 8008
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Flake Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Yoshi's Island is a prequel to all of the Mario games if we're talking story line. Mario being from Brooklyn and being sucked down a warp pipe while "working on a drain" is, as far as I'm aware, an invention of the cartoon series or possibly NOA, it's not something ever mentioned in the games (where he has a totally different accent.)

Yoshi's Island is, however, told in a children's storybook fashion, which may hint at an unreliable narrator.

The Wario games directly follow the plot of Super Mario Land 2 so they aren't non canon either, unless you consder Mario's adventures in those games to be non canon.


Yikes, I hadn't even thought of bringing canon into it. That makes this exercise way more difficult but also more amusing.

I know that there is a loose but continuous plot that follows Mario Bros 1 thru Wario Land II. Mario and Luigi end up in Mushroom Kingdom at the same time that Koopa invades. Mario and Luigi save Princess Toadstool and then decide to stay in the Mushroom Kingdom. Then Mario sleeps and has a dream. Then Koopa and his kids invade all the provinces of the Mushroom Kingdom at once. Again, the saving of Toadstool. Eventually Mario goes to space and saves Princess Daisey and comes back to find that Wario had invaded some province that Mario had been given for his heroics. Mario beats Wario. Wario goes and gets his own castle by beating up a female pirate named sugar. It's a story not unlike any of Shakespeare's.

I don't know if World had a plot that followed on as well as the NES and gameboy games. I really don't think there was any attempt at a continuous plot after that. I can't even think of any plot elements that would say when the Galaxy or New series games happen.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Betagam7 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:03 pm

Flake wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:Yoshi's Island is a prequel to all of the Mario games if we're talking story line. Mario being from Brooklyn and being sucked down a warp pipe while "working on a drain" is, as far as I'm aware, an invention of the cartoon series or possibly NOA, it's not something ever mentioned in the games (where he has a totally different accent.)

Yoshi's Island is, however, told in a children's storybook fashion, which may hint at an unreliable narrator.

The Wario games directly follow the plot of Super Mario Land 2 so they aren't non canon either, unless you consder Mario's adventures in those games to be non canon.


Yikes, I hadn't even thought of bringing canon into it. That makes this exercise way more difficult but also more amusing.

I know that there is a loose but continuous plot that follows Mario Bros 1 thru Wario Land II. Mario and Luigi end up in Mushroom Kingdom at the same time that Koopa invades. Mario and Luigi save Princess Toadstool and then decide to stay in the Mushroom Kingdom. Then Mario sleeps and has a dream. Then Koopa and his kids invade all the provinces of the Mushroom Kingdom at once. Again, the saving of Toadstool. Eventually Mario goes to space and saves Princess Daisey and comes back to find that Wario had invaded some province that Mario had been given for his heroics. Mario beats Wario. Wario goes and gets his own castle by beating up a female pirate named sugar. It's a story not unlike any of Shakespeare's.

I don't know if World had a plot that followed on as well as the NES and gameboy games. I really don't think there was any attempt at a continuous plot after that. I can't even think of any plot elements that would say when the Galaxy or New series games happen.


Miyamoto was actually against having any plot at all in Galaxy 2 although he was eventually talked out of it. I would assume that the Mario games are simply chronological, with the exception of Yoshi's Island....however, this is confused by having Mario and his baby self appear together in Kart and the Sports games! :lol:

Also Mario 64 DS is technically an alternative universe version of the original so really it's easy enough to take it for granted that the majority of Mario games are just retellings of the same story.
User avatar
Blu
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Blu Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Where does Mario is Missing and Mario Paint fit into this?
Betagam7
128-bit
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:27 am
Location: obsoleteworlds.com

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Betagam7 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Blu wrote:Where does Mario is Missing and Mario Paint fit into this?


Believe it or not: Mario is Missing and the other edutainment games have been officially declared non-canon! :lol:

Sadly, for Pauline, all other games that occur after Donkey Kong are indeed canon. He'll never go back to her. It's time she moved on. :cry:
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4888
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:46 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Yoshi's Island is a prequel to all of the Mario games if we're talking story line. Mario being from Brooklyn and being sucked down a warp pipe while "working on a drain" is, as far as I'm aware, an invention of the cartoon series or possibly NOA, it's not something ever mentioned in the games (where he has a totally different accent.)

Yoshi's Island is, however, told in a children's storybook fashion, which may hint at an unreliable narrator.

The Wario games directly follow the plot of Super Mario Land 2 so they aren't non canon either, unless you consder Mario's adventures in those games to be non canon.


Yoshi's Island really muddies things up as far as whatever the canon is currently supposed to be, but the Brooklyn thing apparently came from Miyamoto himself saying Mario was from New York.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -wigPldVng

Q: Mario is Italian. Or we assume he is Italian, was there something behind that?
As a kid, I was a big comic fan and I liked foreign comics as well. So I drew some characters that had more western type features with a little bigger noses and what not. Now with Mario, I think with Mario Bros. we had a setting of course that was underground, so I just decided Mario is a plumber. Let's put him in New York and he can be Italian. There was really no other deep thought other than that.


Whether or not that throwaway thought still stands today though is up for debate.
User avatar
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by pepharytheworm Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:20 pm

Obviously he did come from Brooklyn as an adult originally. To stop Mario he was kidnapped in the past to prevent the future which then changed the time-line. Terminatoe style. Games after Yoshi's Island feature baby Mario in the mushroom kingdom, like Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. But I guess baby mario could have been sent back to Brooklyn, grew up there and because of his earlier connection ended back in the Mushroom Kingdom as an adult. Being a baby he probably lacks the memories of that time which is why he didn't recognize the yoshi species in SMW.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 8008
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Flake Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:43 pm

pepharytheworm wrote:Obviously he did come from Brooklyn as an adult originally. To stop Mario he was kidnapped in the past to prevent the future which then changed the time-line. Terminatoe style. Games after Yoshi's Island feature baby Mario in the mushroom kingdom, like Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. But I guess baby mario could have been sent back to Brooklyn, grew up there and because of his earlier connection ended back in the Mushroom Kingdom as an adult. Being a baby he probably lacks the memories of that time which is why he didn't recognize the yoshi species in SMW.


So Mario and Luigi are crossing their own timelines in the kart games?
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
User avatar
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by pepharytheworm Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:01 am

Flake wrote:
pepharytheworm wrote:Obviously he did come from Brooklyn as an adult originally. To stop Mario he was kidnapped in the past to prevent the future which then changed the time-line. Terminatoe style. Games after Yoshi's Island feature baby Mario in the mushroom kingdom, like Mario and Luigi Partners in Time. But I guess baby mario could have been sent back to Brooklyn, grew up there and because of his earlier connection ended back in the Mushroom Kingdom as an adult. Being a baby he probably lacks the memories of that time which is why he didn't recognize the yoshi species in SMW.


So Mario and Luigi are crossing their own timelines in the kart games?

Since they met in Partners and have the means to go back and forth through time all they have to do is pick them up and then drop them back off. As long as they are still picking them up in baby form it shouldn't screw up the present time line.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Flake
Moderator
 
Posts: 8008
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Flake Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:11 am

pepharytheworm wrote:Since they met in Partners and have the means to go back and forth through time all they have to do is pick them up and then drop them back off. As long as they are still picking them up in baby form it shouldn't screw up the present time line.


Knowing that the well-being of those babies is all that stands between future prosperity for the Mushroom Kingdom and a universe shredding paradox, the annual Mushroom Kingdom Death Race (aka, Mario Kart) seems incredibly irresponsible.

Worse yet, Mario and Luigi have seen fit to also pull baby versions of Princess Toadstool, Princess Daisey, and Rosalina from the aether so that they can also almost certainly die at the hands of their older selves.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests