NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Flake

Re: The mainline Mario Bros games?

by Flake Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:36 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:As far as I know, there's no way to truly "beat" the original Mario Bros arcade game (as is the case with most arcade games of the era) but why throw it out? This is an important evolution in Mario's development. If you play Donkey Kong 3, then play Mario Bros you will see a significant change in Mario. This is where Mario becomes the star, not the "jumpman" who plays second fiddle to Donkey Kong. This is also the first time Mario jumps on a turtle, and the first appearance of Luigi. The OP asked for "mainline Mario Bros games". What's more mainline Mario Bros. than Mario Bros?
I know Mario's name had already been established before DK3, I'm just making a point.

I've been excluding it for that very reason, the unbeatability. But you're right: The original Mario Bros is legit. It's actually a fantastic game that I wish would get some kind of sequel or remake.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:59 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:As far as I know, there's no way to truly "beat" the original Mario Bros arcade game

It is possible to max out the score at phase 99. The game does not end but that's more "beating a game" to me than seeing the end credits on Kirby's Adventure is. :lol:

Flake wrote:It's actually a fantastic game that I wish would get some kind of sequel or remake.

The Virtual Boy is your friend. 8)
Flake

by Flake Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Betagam7 wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:As far as I know, there's no way to truly "beat" the original Mario Bros arcade game

It is possible to max out the score at phase 99. The game does not end but that's more "beating a game" to me than seeing the end credits on Kirby's Adventure is. :lol:

Flake wrote:It's actually a fantastic game that I wish would get some kind of sequel or remake.

I didn't know Mario Clash was a thing till just now. The VB is a terrible investment but every now and then the siren call of Wario Land (and now Mario Clash) tempts me.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Mario Clash is a game that deserves another shot. I wish a fan group would make a version of it for the SNES.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:48 pm

The Mario Advance games also include a pretty good remake of the original Mario Bros.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Flake wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:

I didn't know Mario Clash was a thing till just now. The VB is a terrible investment but every now and then the siren call of Wario Land (and now Mario Clash) tempts me.

On the contrary, the VB is a great investment. It will always hold onto its value so there's no danger of not being able to get your money back once you're done with it.

Aside from Wario Land and Mario Clash games like Red Alarm, Vertical Force and Jack Bros are all great games that really do fun things with the hardware.

I have 14 games for my VB and would only consider 2 of them to be bad games (Insmouse No Yakata and Virtual League Baseball). The quality of good game to bad game is surprisingly high.

fastbilly1 wrote:Mario Clash is a game that deserves another shot. I wish a fan group would make a version of it for the SNES.

Never mind fan groups, why hasn't Nintendo themselves remade it for the 3DS? The nearest they've come to acknowledging it's existence is with a Warioware one shot.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm

I like the competitive port of Super Mario Brothers that is in Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES. I always thought it was somewhat tacked on, but it was a great way to troll your buddy right next to you.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Blu wrote:I like the competitive port of Super Mario Brothers that is in Super Mario Brothers 3 for the NES. I always thought it was somewhat tacked on, but it was a great way to troll your buddy right next to you.

I'm sure the turn-stealing rage that mini-game has produced over the years is incalculable.

I don't think I ever got past the first world in a two player game of Mario 3. It always turned into a duel to the death after the second or third level.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Flake wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:As far as I know, there's no way to truly "beat" the original Mario Bros arcade game (as is the case with most arcade games of the era) but why throw it out? This is an important evolution in Mario's development. If you play Donkey Kong 3, then play Mario Bros you will see a significant change in Mario. This is where Mario becomes the star, not the "jumpman" who plays second fiddle to Donkey Kong. This is also the first time Mario jumps on a turtle, and the first appearance of Luigi. The OP asked for "mainline Mario Bros games". What's more mainline Mario Bros. than Mario Bros?
I know Mario's name had already been established before DK3, I'm just making a point.

I've been excluding it for that very reason, the unbeatability. But you're right: The original Mario Bros is legit. It's actually a fantastic game that I wish would get some kind of sequel or remake.

Been playing this lately. I didn't realize it but the game actually features distinct levels before looping. 11 on the NES/e-Reader version, 14 on the Atari 2600, not sure about other ports. I'd consider it beaten after the loop occurs.

I only own the game on Atari, and it's quite challenging due to the jumping controls.
Flake

by Flake Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:08 pm

Forgot about this thread! Great timing, whoever bumped it! I recently took the plunge and bought a VB from Dsh. Mario Clash will be happening.
Return to Nintendo