NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Konacha
32-bit

Re: Mario Kart 8 Thread

by Konacha Tue May 27, 2014 12:58 am

I typically don't get the Mario Kart games until a few weeks after the release but seeing the game being played and the fact that my all time favorite course is in the retro courses (Rainbow Road from N64) I'm planning on getting this when it comes out since I will also be paid on that day too. I do think there is just too many characters in the game since now we have 30 characters in which 90% of them won't be used since I thought 17 drivers in Mario Kart 7 was a bit overboard.

Even if there is a boatload of characters in the game, it doesn't mean I won't enjoy the game. I will be playing most of the cups to unlock the characters and then I shall hit the online mode after I unlock a good part of it. I also have my sister to play along with me in the game like she has been doing since the days of Mario Kart 64.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue May 27, 2014 8:14 am

Shy Guy looks awesome haha.
CavZee
Next-Gen

by CavZee Tue May 27, 2014 9:06 am

Too many characters? First complaint I've heard like that. You must hate playing fighting games then haha.

Xeogred wrote:Shy Guy looks awesome haha.

As always.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue May 27, 2014 10:42 am

I was upset when they made Peach a medium weight in Mario Kart Wii, since she had been a lightweight since the beginning. But I moved to using Koopa Trooper. But I am thinking Lakitu might have to be my main in 8 (if he comes in as a lightweight - I did not play MK7 more than a few times so I never got to try him there). Years of playing as Peach on MK64 makes using anyone who is not in that weightclass just awkward to me.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue May 27, 2014 10:46 am

fastbilly1 wrote:I was upset when they made Peach a medium weight in Mario Kart Wii, since she had been a lightweight since the beginning. But I moved to using Koopa Trooper. But I am thinking Lakitu might have to be my main in 8 (if he comes in as a lightweight - I did not play MK7 more than a few times so I never got to try him there). Years of playing as Peach on MK64 makes using anyone who is not in that weightclass just awkward to me.

I find I vary between preferring light or heavy characters depending on the game (normally how heavy or light the physics are)

SNES: Koopa Troopa (light)
N64: Toad (light)
GBA: Toad or Peach (light)
GC: King Boo & Paratroopa (heavy)
DS: Yoshi (light)
Wii: King Boo (heavy)
3DS: Wario (heavy)

I'm betting Ill prefer heavy in the Wii U one based on the physics of other recent mario kart games.

Mario Kart 7 had 5 weight classes (featherweight, light weight, medium weight, cruiser weight and heavyweight). Lakitu was in the Featherweight class.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 am

Thanks AJ.

I never thought about it being based on how the phyiscs work...That makes too much sense. My main list is much more plebeian even though it is full of royalty:
Super Mario Kart - Peach or Koopa Trooper
Mario Kart 64 - Peach
Mario Kart Super Circuit - Peach
Mario Kart Double Dash - Koopa Trooper/Para Trooper
Mario Kart DS - Peach or Dry Bones
Mario Kart Wii - DryBones or Koopa Trooper
Mario Kart 7 - never really played
8 will be Shyguy or Lakitu

Mario Kart GP - Peach
Mario Kart GP 2 - Blinky - Granted I could not really tell the differences in any of the characters when I played them, the cab was not functioning correctly.
Konacha
32-bit

by Konacha Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am

CavZee wrote:Too many characters? First complaint I've heard like that. You must hate playing fighting games then haha.

Xeogred wrote:Shy Guy looks awesome haha.

As always.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do hate fighting games... mostly because I suck at them. Still 30 playable characters seems way too many for me.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 am

If you take kart/wheel customization into account, there have been more than 30 choices of vehicle for some time in MK. For a racing game, 30 characters does not seem like a large amount.

Also, never play R-Type Final, you would go mad over the amount of ships available :lol:

Can't wait for this game. Wario will tear up the tracks once again (I can only hope he is as great as he is in MK7)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Thu May 29, 2014 4:25 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-mario-kart-8-getting-free-mercedes-car-dlc

In a surprising piece of product placement, Nintendo has teamed up with Mercedes to offer a free DLC car in Mario Kart 8.

The in-game vehicle, a Mercedes GLA, will be freely available to download in Japan this summer.

Honest to god, I had to check the date to make sure it's not the first of April.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
CavZee
Next-Gen

by CavZee Thu May 29, 2014 12:35 pm

The pictures of that realistic Mario are frightening. Lol
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
Return to Nintendo