Must have DS RPGs

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Must have DS RPGs

Post by Exhuminator »

Violent By Design wrote:I just got the new version of the DS emulator, and its framerate still seems off.

In the menu settings, go to Config, then Frame Skip. Make sure "Limit framerate" is checked, and the frame rate is set to "0 (never skip)". If the games still seem to be running slowly, go to Config>Display Method and try messing with the settings there. Sometimes changing from Direct Draw HW to SW helps (or vice versa), or going OpenGL instead. If none of that helps:

Another thing that can slow the works down is using arbitrary screen sizes by stretching the boxes manually. Make sure you are setting your multiplier of screen size cleanly by only using View>Window Size>X from the menu settings. If none of that helps:

Only other things I can think of would be sound related. So you can go Config>Sound Settings and change your synchronization mode there. Also if the emulator tries to lock the frame rate to the sound output, adjusting your Buffer Size in the Sound Settings might have some effect as well.

As far as your processor goes I think you're good to go there.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Exhuminator wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:I just got the new version of the DS emulator, and its framerate still seems off.

In the menu settings, go to Config, then Frame Skip. Make sure "Limit framerate" is checked, and the frame rate is set to "0 (never skip)". If the games still seem to be running slowly, go to Config>Display Method and try messing with the settings there. Sometimes changing from Direct Draw HW to SW helps (or vice versa), or going OpenGL instead. If none of that helps:

Another thing that can slow the works down is using arbitrary screen sizes by stretching the boxes manually. Make sure you are setting your multiplier of screen size cleanly by only using View>Window Size>X from the menu settings. If none of that helps:

Only other things I can think of would be sound related. So you can go Config>Sound Settings and change your synchronization mode there. Also if the emulator tries to lock the frame rate to the sound output, adjusting your Buffer Size in the Sound Settings might have some effect as well.

As far as your processor goes I think you're good to go there.

Man, I've been testing this stuff out on New Super Mario Bros, because I figure it's quick to boot and it is a mechanic based game. For a while I couldn't figure out why I was going so bloody slow, and I realized I didn't bind the "run button" <.<.

Other than that, setting it to OpenGL certainly makes a difference, the visual quality seems to take a dip, but it moves much smoother.

DS seems pretty playable at this point, thanks a lot.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Hm...it seems like with this new version some of the roms I have dont work anymore. Has anyone tried Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest 9 or Infinite Space on desmume?

Sometimes I get a run time error.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Violent By Design wrote:Other than that, setting it to OpenGL certainly makes a difference, the visual quality seems to take a dip, but it moves much smoother.

There's probably some bilinear filtering going on by default. Make sure the "Filter" option is disabled next to the OpenGL option in that menu. If that's not the case, you'll have to look at how to disable bilinear filtering natively for your GPU through your OS.

Another speed boost the developer listed:

Turn on JIT (dynamic recompiler) for HUGE speedup:
For Windows users: in main menu, choose Config -> Emulation Settings, check “Use dynamic recompiler”

Violent By Design wrote:Sometimes I get a run time error.

If it also throws an error code, you should submit a screenshot of the error here:

http://forums.desmume.org/viewforum.php?id=4
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Is the DS version of Chrono Trigger better than the SNES version? What advantages does it have?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Violent By Design wrote:Is the DS version of Chrono Trigger better than the SNES version? What advantages does it have?

It has bonus content that helps tie CT to CC better. There's a monster battle arena alternate mode that's accessed through the title screen and I think it can give you some consumables (I don't remember exactly, I didn't use it much). Otherwise it's pretty much untouched. So I'd say get the DS version if you're trying to decide between the two for the content that ties to Chrono Cross.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

MrPopo wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:Is the DS version of Chrono Trigger better than the SNES version? What advantages does it have?

It has bonus content that helps tie CT to CC better. There's a monster battle arena alternate mode that's accessed through the title screen and I think it can give you some consumables (I don't remember exactly, I didn't use it much). Otherwise it's pretty much untouched. So I'd say get the DS version if you're trying to decide between the two for the content that ties to Chrono Cross.

It has a different translation too
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

I didn't even know they'd made a port to ds(but I'm not surprised) :lol:
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?