Anybody Buying Virtual Console Games?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
racketboy
Site Admin

Anybody Buying Virtual Console Games?

Post by racketboy »

I realize that not many of us actually have Wiis, but I'm curious if anybody thinks Virtual Console games are worth the price
Abras
24-bit

Post by Abras »

I have a Wii and haven't gotten a single one. Mostly because I have a lot of the original games. I think that's the case for most people here. I might buy some of the more expensive games I don't have when they come out (Super Mario RPG), but other than that...

The pricing is too high for some games and a bargain for others (although there are probably more higher prices). You're paying the same price for EarthBound as you are for super mario world.
Daigr
24-bit

Post by Daigr »

My Wii only has two games downloaded so far. Super mario world and Castlevania 4.
I was craving some castlevania so I got that. My wife wanted mario world and we played through that in a day. I don't own any consoles that the virtual console offers. It's just too easy to download the games I fear I would spend too much money on them.
Perseid
32-bit

Post by Perseid »

I don't have any virtual console games. Most of those games could be found on cartridge on eBay for cheaper than the download is for. They need some original games like the XBox Live Marketplace. I have bought few of those.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ive got two, Bomberman 93 and Mario Kart 64. Reason being it is easier to carry the wii and controllers than rig up the pc. Bomberman 93 is 5 player and well Bomberman, and Mario Kart 64 is the only game Ive ever stated "who wants to play" and not had a problem getting three other players.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

If I had a Wii, I'd probably only buy the N64 titles, since they can be tricky to emulate perfectly on PC.

I'd also like to know of Zelda OoT is better on Wii than Gamecube, due to the increased RAM. I remember on the Zelda Collection disc, OoT had some stutters during "load points", since the Cube wasn't able to store the entire emulator and ROM within the RAM. This also meant that the ending had to be pre-rendered and streamed, because they weren't able to have perfectly seemless area transitions due to the mini-load times.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

expensive! Won't buy them. not worth it. Already own the ones I want.

Xbox Marketplace is better, just like Perseid brought up, because it also has original titles. I download a shitload of stuff on that.

Also the lack of wired LAN on the Wii really keeps me from hooking it up. I don't like wireless, so eh.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

lordofduct wrote:Also the lack of wired LAN on the Wii really keeps me from hooking it up. I don't like wireless, so eh.

Big reason why I don't want a Wii still.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Yeah I hate that to, thats why it is always off unless I am downloading something.

And if anyone knows a cheap place for Nintendo N64 controllers, I would be much obliged to know. Mine are shot.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

I have downloaded something almost every week, but tbh, I havent played them that much yet (I'm in a PC/flightsim mood atm).

Things Ive enjoyed most have been Mario64, Zelda LTTP, Final Fight (even a bad version of FF is good :p) and Comix Zone. I know they are quite expensive, but I just like the idea of being able to play them in my TV room whilst sitting on my couch.

Mozgus in answer to your Ocarina question, the performance doesnt seem incredibly smooth and there are a few tiny sound glitches during scene switches (i.e. when you bring up the inventory menus etc.). I'm not sure whether the original was the same framerate and had these small glitches or not as I never played it on an N64 :o