NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9494
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

The Hidden Gems of the Nintendo Gamecube

by racketboy Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 am

My latest entry in the series:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2007/04/ ... games.html

Yes, I know it isn't totally "retro", but like it or not, it is from the previous generation. And over the years, once a console it "out-of-date" is when I start buying stuff up.
What's also cool about the Gamecube list is that you can play them on the Wii.

Also, I'm sure you may say that many of the games featured aren't as "hidden" as you might come to expect. But with the Gamecube, there seemed to be a real separation between the good stuff and the "crap" and most of the good stuff it known of by the devoted Gamecube owners. But as I've stated before, these lists are more for people that don't know a lot about what the Cube's library has to offer.

Anyway, with that being said, are there any gems that you enjoy that you think are missing from the list?
User avatar
manasol
16-bit
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:27 pm

by manasol Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:58 pm

I've been waiting for this one. I see Beyond Good & Evil on other platforms but could you elaborate on which system it plays best. Any differences? Extra features on certain consoles?

Tales of Symphonia was great, thanks for adding that.
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6630
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:31 pm

manasol wrote:I've been waiting for this one. I see Beyond Good & Evil on other platforms but could you elaborate on which system it plays best. Any differences? Extra features on certain consoles?

Tales of Symphonia was great, thanks for adding that.

I played BGE on PC, PS2, and GC. PS2 looked the worst. The framerate wasn't a always 60, and the water and various other effects didn't quite match up. The GC version ran and looked exceptionally nice. One minor gripe with it was the quality of the snapshots you took were TERRIBLE, probably due to the small size of the GC memory cards at the time. The PC version looks the best obviously, provided you have the hardware. On an Athlon XP 3000 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, you can max it out at 1024 resolution. It has no real issues except for a glitch which keeps a key from dropping after you solve one certain puzzle late in the game. A user fix exists for it.
dark79
Newbie
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 11:45 pm

by dark79 Wed May 23, 2007 4:33 pm

Mozgus wrote:
manasol wrote:I've been waiting for this one. I see Beyond Good & Evil on other platforms but could you elaborate on which system it plays best. Any differences? Extra features on certain consoles?

Tales of Symphonia was great, thanks for adding that.

I played BGE on PC, PS2, and GC. PS2 looked the worst. The framerate wasn't a always 60, and the water and various other effects didn't quite match up. The GC version ran and looked exceptionally nice. One minor gripe with it was the quality of the snapshots you took were TERRIBLE, probably due to the small size of the GC memory cards at the time. The PC version looks the best obviously, provided you have the hardware. On an Athlon XP 3000 and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, you can max it out at 1024 resolution. It has no real issues except for a glitch which keeps a key from dropping after you solve one certain puzzle late in the game. A user fix exists for it.


Isn't the PC version keyboard control only? I currently have the the game for the XBox but haven't gotten around to actually playing it.
User avatar
Mozgus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6630
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 10:31 pm

by Mozgus Wed May 23, 2007 4:45 pm

dark79 wrote:Isn't the PC version keyboard control only? I currently have the the game for the XBox but haven't gotten around to actually playing it.
I think a gamepad works too, but back then UbiSoft was making FANTASTIC PC ports, like this game, Sands of Time, and the early Splinter Cells. They really put a lot of effort into translating the gameplay to the keyboard and mouse. Trust me, it's just as good as a gamepad.
User avatar
fastbilly1
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13745
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:08 pm

by fastbilly1 Wed May 23, 2007 6:57 pm

And if you dont like the gamepad, there is always joy to key.
Return to Nintendo

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests