Which is the Best Way to play NES games....

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Re: Which is the Best Way to play NES games....

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Limewater wrote:
Weekend_Warrior wrote:NesterDC on the Dreamcast gets my vote. It plays every NES game that I've thrown at it -- all at full speed with perfect sound emulation.

... But with a terrible controller.

All other considerations aside, I actually really like the Dreamcast controller for Dreamcast games. However, I find that its direction pad is not so great for controlling NES or SMS games. In my experience it definitely doesn't hold up favorably to the original controllers.
I use a DC-to-PS2 adapter. It works wonders. Believe me
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I have not read this whole thread but every time I have put a new 72 pin connector in a NES it works perfectly. You just have to make sure that you clean all your games too or you end up right back where you were.
Pringles
16-bit

Post by Pringles »

J T wrote:The best way to play the NES is sitting on the floor with your Zapper touching the screen while you yell at the Duck Hunt dog from the top of your lungs "STOP ****ING LAUGHING!"

This.
Consoles: Atari 2600,NES,Atari 7800,Genesis,Sega CD, SNES,N64, PS1, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.
Handhelds:GBC, GBA, GBA SP, NDS, NDS, NDS i, NDS i
Arcades: Neo Geo MVS, BurgerTime, Tempest, Frogger
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I ended up going with the FC Twin plus which supports SNES and 3rd party controllers. I am able to use my Messiah SNES Wireless on it and works great. Some say the sound is "off" on some games, but they all sound good to me.

If FC (and the other knockoff duo machines) would make 3 small changes, I think these would easily sell for $100.

1) Use a higher density plastic for the entire body for a "Sturdiness" affect.
2) Install a lever ejector for the NES games.
3) Put a thicker housing on the AC adapter wire, that thing is so chincy and thin (but it is still in tact for the time being).

I guess i'm not happy but i'm happy. Enjoying Kid Icarus once again - this time from 20' on the 42", life is pretty good.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

maybe the Retron 5?
dogman91
128-bit

Post by dogman91 »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but probably the absolute BEST way to play NES games would be with this thing http://www.analogueinteractive.com/prod ... nformation . It's not out yet though it looks like (and uber expensive). and maybe a flashcart to go along with it.

Personally, I just emulate NES with Mednafen on the Wii so I can get an RGB-like output through the console's low-res mode, which is much preferable over the NES' composite output. Plus, no audio buzzing, and a SNES controller adapter (I prefer the SNES controller over the NES ones). Having all this with real hardware adds up to more than I could afford or want to spend.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I was about to respond to this thread and then I realized noise just necrobumped a 5 year long dead thread and by now Mike is well aware of RGB modding toploaders and the Blinking Light Win that Shadow from NG.com is doing.

Way to go Noise :lol:
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Don't encourage him.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Bunnyboy from RetroUSB's HDMI NES is the best. All new parts, no sacrificed consoles, and a brand new wireless controller using mouse button switches and given the ok by Tetris Grandmasters. The FPGA is set to emulate the NES PPU 1:1 so everyone who has played one says it is sublime.